Building a tower stand, ideas?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I started a club recently, and all the members have young kids, that are looking to get thier first deer. We discussed making a food plot for kids only. I think this would be a good spot to put a tower stand to use. I've never built one, but seems pretty simple. I figured 8-10' high with a nice roof and walls. Just curious what would be a good size to make it to take a kid or two and one adult. Also, what would people who have done this estimate the cost to be. Do you have ideas on getting cheaper lumber versus Lowe's,home depot. Being a new lease, it's already gonna have alot of work and mo ey invested to get things going. So I would love to save asuch money as possible.

Any and all ideas are appreciated

dfhooked

If you are planning for an adult and 2 kids etc plan for 3 chairs. Remember comfort is key, especially with little ones. I would plan on a 4'x 8' stand with 6' walls. You could even have the front with 8' wall sloping back and use the same materials. One thing I would recommend are the elevator brackets that are available for stand legs. These allow you to get a uniform angle on the legs without needing to sink them in the ground and just anchor the stand with a center anchor tie down. This also allows you to move the stand should the need or terrain require a move. I am sure others will chime in with great plans and ideas but one thing is, bigger is better with a box stand. Dark interior walls will hide movement and the kids will love the extra space to sleep on the floor or play card games or an iPad. Involve the kids for the build and painting of the stand and document it with pics for your memory. Good luck with your new club it sounds like a great place for the next generation of outdoorsman.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Thanks, what do you mean by elevator brackets?

specialk

Attachments

• 20121209_102702.jpg
    20121209_102702.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 2,063

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Very nice everyone thanks. What would yall estimate as a cost to build one?

specialk

that one in my post cost about 200-250 including the brackets. it is about 5-6 years old. look on craigslist for plywood and 2x4's.....

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
10-4 thanks. I have a little plywood, just need to get a supply of 2x4's. Do you use 2x4's for the floor or do you go bigger.

Derek

I'd save your self a lot of time and effort and buy one of the ones that Hooper Outdoors sells. They are awesome and portable. The 4x6 version is big enough for an adult and at least 2 kids. We have one on all of our foodplots.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
You got a link?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
10-4 thanks. I have a little plywood, just need to get a supply of 2x4's. Do you use 2x4's for the floor or do you go bigger.

I used 2x6's on mine. $379 total, mostly.

ryanh487

For the sake of comfort and durability, check this place out:

http://deerviewwindows.com/

Seal the stands up good because wasps love 'em, but install some screened over vents around the top too, those things heat up good and fast on a warm day.

QuackAttack101

Didn't you say that you used to be in Gray Ghost Hunting Club and live down the road from it (Mike is the president)? If so, I built one out there on that gas line that sounds like what you're looking for. Other than the steps, it's probably way sturdier (and larger) than it ever needs to be. I'll be out there this weekend if you want to come take a look and get some ideas. I believe it cost less than $250 to build. Just shoot me a PM if you want to come take a look

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Didn't you say that you used to be in Gray Ghost Hunting Club and live down the road from it (Mike is the president)? If so, I built one out there on that gas line that sounds like what you're looking for. Other than the steps, it's probably way sturdier (and larger) than it ever needs to be. I'll be out there this weekend if you want to come take a look and get some ideas. I believe it cost less than $250 to build. Just shoot me a PM if you want to come take a look

Yes I was in that club. Ive seen that stand that you are talking about, actually drove by it a day or two ago. It's very nice. I'll be out of town this weekend. But I may stop by and take a glance at it. I don't think Mike would mind. I still talk to him occasionally.

QuackAttack101

Yes I was in that club. Ive seen that stand that you are talking about, actually drove by it a day or two ago. It's very nice. I'll be out of town this weekend. But I may stop by and take a glance at it. I don't think Mike would mind. I still talk to him occasionally.

Yeah man. Feel free to. I know Mike won't mind. Good luck on the stand situation

specialk

I used 2x4's, if you went to a 4x6 or bigger then I'd use 2x6's.....

Buck Nasty

I have more than $250 in mine....The brackets alone are almost $100. I would make it 4x8 for 1 adult and 2 kids... 4x6 can be done, but it will be tight.

Attachments

• WP_20140816_006.jpg
    WP_20140816_006.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,725
  • Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,721
  • WP_20140802_001.jpg
    WP_20140802_001.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,732
  • WP_20140802_002.jpg
    WP_20140802_002.jpg