Opinions on Ram trucks?

BeerThirty

I have two close friends in the automotive trade: one is lead mechanic at a shop, other owns his own performance shop. I've had this exact chat a lot with them recently because I've been shopping trucks as well. Call it coincidence, but they both say to stay away from Fords, particularly the newer fords, 2010+. As well, they both drive RAM's. They've really had nothing bad to say about the Chevy's.

The only hesitation I have about the RAM is the pricing. As others have said, you sure seem to get a little more bang for your buck. I hope that does not equate to using cheaper parts.

I also feel like RAM has a history of more problematic trucks over the years, but I also know they have made lots of progress as well so I really shouldn't hold that against them.

My father-in-law just bought a brand new F150 last year. 4x4, V6. Told me he paid over $50k for it. Has all the bells and whistles. Don't know all the details, but he's already had to replace the water pump and the alternator. Drove it over the holidays. Very smooth, but makes a weird hum when you get up to 55+ mph. I tried talking him into a RAM or Chevy, but he's a man of principle, and he wanted a Ford because Ford didn't take bailout money...

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
The only hesitation I have about the RAM is the pricing. As others have said, you sure seem to get a little more bang for your buck. I hope that does not equate to using cheaper parts.
Ram is #3 in sales behind Ford and GM.
They are upping their game trying to get to #2. That may be one of the reasons that they are cheaper.
My truck was made in Mexico so that probably helped as well. Ram also manufactures trucks in the USA and are/were going to bring production back from Mexico but those plans may be up in the air.

I'm not a fan of unions in general and the UAW in particular, but I do like to see US citizens working.

shdw633

I've had Dodge, Ford and Chevy trucks over the last 40 years of buying trucks and all I can say is everything but the engine and transmission went out on my Dodge's. Transmissions went out on my Chevy's. Only my Fords have consistantly held up over the years. That's not to say they are not without their flaws as I did have a front wheel bearing go out on my diesel once. But that was on my 2001 Ford Diesel which I still own to this day and it's still running strong and though it's a 2001 I still have people offering me $15,000 for that truck, dings and all, just becuase of that 7.3L diesel that's in it. Course, I'm not selling it.

Last edited:

georgia_home

Loved my dodge but mileage and drivetrain were the biggest issues.
Rear end issue under 40k and tranny around 75k.
Oh, dash board cracked apart over time, exposed wires effected over time. Make sure to use a dash board cover protector from day one

The most comfortable vehicle I ever owned.

Lukikus2

The wife just got a '13 4x4 crew cab with the 5.7 hemi, 60k miles. Drives great but my biggest concern was it falling apart like others have said. We shall see.

lonewolf247

My dad still has a running 2000 model Dodge Ram 1500! It was his main truck from 2000-2010, then he bought a 2010 model and it’s still going too. The old truck is his woods/pasture truck. Think it’s having trouble with one of the cylinders now, as he gets me to change one plug, every six months or so. That’s 19 years though. Can’t comment on the newer Dodges, have no experience with them.

I’m a diehard GM man myself . I drive a 2500HD with 6.0 Gas, and 6-speed transmission, I think. No issues, other than a couple recalls, as 2015, was the first year model in that body style . No issues otherwise.

ucfireman

I had heard Ford was having lots of problems a few years ago when they came out with the twin turbo V6s, I had read that a lot of turbos were burning up. I figure they probably got that figured out by now.
My Vote is Ram or Chevy/ GMC. I don't think I would consider Ford right now, they just don't look appealing to me. Neither does the Toyota or Nissan. Maybe later?

madsam

I agree with hillbilly on this one. I test drove a dodge truck and before I could get

back the mirror knob feel off. Go look at a 1yr or 2 older dodge truck and it will

tell you what you need to know.

transfixer

I had heard Ford was having lots of problems a few years ago when they came out with the twin turbo V6s, I had read that a lot of turbos were burning up. I figure they probably got that figured out by now.
My Vote is Ram or Chevy/ GMC. I don't think I would consider Ford right now, they just don't look appealing to me. Neither does the Toyota or Nissan. Maybe later?

Those twin turbo V6's have good power, and get some good mpg numbers, but they're having to work hard if you use it as a truck should be used, I have a friend that owns one, and he's had to replace one turbo already, and also has had to replace the timing chain setup on his, which is another problem those engines have, luckily he's a tech so he did the work himself, but still a pain. Anytime you take a small displacement motor and work it hard, you're going to have issues, again, the manufacturer doesn't care about that, although Ford did have to replace a good many timing chains and turbos under warranty.

660griz

I had a 2005 Ram 2500 CTD. Sold it with 275k miles. Went through 3 transmissions, a water pump, alternator, idler pulley, and drive shaft. Other than that, loved the truck. Was the most bang for the buck at the time.
Now have a 2017 GMC 2500 HD Sierra. May go back to Ram one day. Not this year though. No Ford. Just never worked out. Nothing against them cept that is 'spensive.

caughtinarut

I had a 2004 Ram for 12 years and right at 300,000 miles. Never had a problem with it. I was in a wreck (not my fault) and it was totaled by the insurance. I bought another ram ('16) and love it.

660griz

Seems like it's a roll of the dice with any of the big 3 trucks.
It is.
However, I read the forums and did research before purchasing mine. There was a lot of buyers complaining about transmissions going out on the HD trucks. They recommended getting the manual tranny but, I drive in traffic a lot.
So, I didn't listen.

I'll never drive a brand new truck unless I hit the lotto. I don't like the new trucks at all. I'm a Chevrolet guy til I die. I love any of the older Chevrolets from 85-2001. I really think the 2001 models are the best ever.

I think there is some sort of brainwashing going on with Dodge. All I hear about is the Cummins diesel. Most of the guys driving them are pulling a lawn mower or construction trailer. You could pull them with a station wagon.

I don't see the need for these big trucks unless you're pulling equipment or hauling cattle. To each their own, but I'm so sick of hearing about dodge pickups. Oh...and how could I forget the ugly black rims. They make me want to puke.

lonewolf247

I'll never drive a brand new truck unless I hit the lotto. I don't like the new trucks at all. I'm a Chevrolet guy til I die. I love any of the older Chevrolets from 85-2001. I really think the 2001 models are the best ever.

I think there is some sort of brainwashing going on with Dodge. All I hear about is the Cummins diesel. Most of the guys driving them are pulling a lawn mower or construction trailer. You could pull them with a station wagon.

I don't see the need for these big trucks unless you're pulling equipment or hauling cattle. To each their own, but I'm so sick of hearing about dodge pickups. Oh...and how could I forget the ugly black rims. They make me want to puke.

I’m diehard GM too. Can’t see myself buying anything else. I’ve owned every GM era and body style change, of gm truck, since the early 1990 model.

Mainly just because I liked getting a new truck every 5 years or so. Out of every one I’ve owned, I can only think of a couple times putting one in the shop, and it was under warranty. Had a door latch break on my 1997 GMC, and a sun visor mirror on my 2015, and that was my passenger’s fault.

I did have a 4x4 dash switch, I fixed myself on my 2000 model, for $60, and a evaporator vent valve on my 2006, I fixed myself for $29.

I change my own oil and do all my maintenance myself. I trust myself better than any dealership.

Example: my 2015 came with a 2 year service agreement, which I was reluctant to use for my oil changes, mainly because I don’t trust some dealers. However, a synthetic oil change with filter can be costly, so I figured I’d give them a chance.

First two oil changes I brought to the dealer where I bought it. An hour and a half from home. They changed oil, filter , rotated tires, greased, reset oil life etc. no issues.

Third oil change I decided to take it to local dealer in town. Put a note in my truck for the tech. The oil viscosity, 6 quarts of oil, and model filter needed for oil change, so there would be no issue.

I went to pick up my truck, and drove it home. It was cold and raining, but decided I’d climb under my truck, to double check them.

To my surprise it was the correct filter, but a quick glance at the drain plug, I noticed a brand new plug, on a dirty under carriage truck. Hmmmm. Next I opened the hood and pulled the dipstick. The oil was 1.5 times higher than it should have been!

Sorta ticked off at this point, I called the dealer and asked to speak with the service department. Told the lady the story, and said I think the tech overfilled my truck thinking it was the 1500 model, that used 8.5-9 quarts, when it is a 2500 model that takes 6 quarts!

Told her get me a manager, because someone will need to come to my house to straighten this out. She laughed and said they wouldn’t do that. I said it was unsafe to drive it being that high, and someone would have to come or I’d call the 1-800 GM number!

Manager comes to the phone, and quickly apologized, took my address and said they’d be right over.

They came over, he appologized again. Told him I wasn’t mad, but as a customer, this is unacceptable! Told him, they should enter a vin number and pull up all the specs on each vehicle, and not take anything for granted.

He agreed. I forfeited my final free oil change and went back to doing my own maintenance.

Sorry for long winded post ha! Bottom line, I think there are many good dependable brands out there. I have actually owned a Toyota and a Nissan truck myself, as my first two trucks. Great trucks too. My wife has owned Toyota Camry, Highlander, Saturn Outlook, and GMC Acadia, which I maintained. Only a water pump weephole failure under warranty on the Outlook.

I think a lot of failures can be prevented by maintainence and keeping a close eye and ear on things!

I think Dodge can be a dependable vehicle too....

Last edited:

transfixer

To my surprise it was the correct filter, but a quick glance at the drain plug, I noticed a brand new plug, on a dirty under carriage truck. Hmmmm. Next I opened the hood and pulled the dipstick. The oil was 1.5 times higher than it should have been!

Sorta ticked off at this point, I called the dealer and asked to speak with the service department. Told the lady the story, and said I think the tech overfilled my truck thinking it was the 1500 model, that used 8.5-9 quarts, when it is a 2500 model that takes 6 quarts
!

A lot of times Dealers won't use actual techs for stuff like oil changes, they hire young guys and pay them about a third of what techs make to do oil changes and tires, that's how stuff like that happens. Most of the young guys they hire have no actual mechanical experience.

lonewolf247

Sorta ticked off at this point, I called the dealer and asked to speak with the service department. Told the lady the story, and said I think the tech overfilled my truck thinking it was the 1500 model, that used 8.5-9 quarts, when it is a 2500 model that takes 6 quarts!

A lot of times Dealers won't use actual techs for stuff like oil changes, they hire young guys and pay them about a third of what techs make to do oil changes and tires, that's how stuff like that happens. Most of the young guys they hire have no actual mechanical experience.

Yeah, I think your exactly right! I probably misspoke with the word tech. Well maybe that’s the difference between the large dealership that I bought my truck at, and the small town dealership in my hometown. Not trying to say all large or small dealerships are one or the other, just judge them on an individual basis. This particular large dealership looks like they have their act together, and possibly use “techs” for all their mechanical work, as opposed to this small dealership in my town, who I think doesn’t have the most skilled people doing their work. I figured they could handle an oil change, I figured wrong.

Anyhow, I like doing everything I can handle myself, rather than bring to a dealer. Save money, and get it right the first time.