Dedicated Turkey Gun

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
According to KPY Shotshell Ballistics software, 1 3/4 oz. of nickle-plated #6 lead has 393 pellets and will penetrate ballistic gel 1.5" at a maximum of 36 yards with a muzzle velocity of 1100 fps. Same weight load of TSS 9 has 625 pellets with 58 yards being the maximum range of 1.5" gel penetration. This doesn't mean less penetration won't kill a turkey but illustrates that Longbeards will give up both penetration and pattern density before TSS. However, LB's are fine for traditional turkey ranges and beyond as are substantially lighter payloads in TSS. You pays your money and makes your choices. Gil

Last edited:
I swore I would not get into another argument about the shot and shells.

TSS greatest thing since sliced bread.

If you enjoy $9.60 per round, and throwing shot harder than the steel your barrel is made of.

I do not set-up out of range and the Long Beard XR's have not let me down....@ $2.50 a round with a material softer than my barrel.

My father killed more turkeys than I ever will, and all of them were with lead.

I am shooting lead, and I'm doing pretty good.

Mark K

Banned
I swore I would not get into another argument about the shot and shells.

TSS greatest thing since sliced bread.

If you enjoy $9.60 per round, and throwing shot harder than the steel your barrel is made of.

I do not set-up out of range and the Long Beard XR's have not let me down....@ $2.50 a round with a material softer than my barrel.

My father killed more turkeys than I ever will, and all of them were with lead.

I am shooting lead, and I'm doing pretty good.
Bet your Dad had a vehicle without AC too...what y’all drive now?

"Bet your Dad had a vehicle without AC too...what y’all drive now?"

"He most likely also shot 2.75” shells but we are all shooting 3” shells now."

You would both be wrong.

LongBeard50

Actually we went with 2.75” shells in the 20ga. Still enough shot and powder to roll’em on out there.

Fair enough but surely you understand the point being made. Guys like to say that lead shot will result in the turkeys being “just as dead” as they will with TSS. While true, the same could be said for a .22 caliber bullet but our military chooses to carry assault rifles for obvious reasons.

#SuperiorFirePower

Mark K

Banned
Oh I’m a true believer in TSS in the smaller gauges. Think it’s a waste of money in a 12ga. I’ll take my youth model 20ga with TSS over anyone’s 10ga and kill them just as far and dead.

Ihunt

I would guestimate that Longbeard XR #6 out of a 12 gauge and #9 TSS out of a 20 gauge would give you very similar killing power and range.......and Longbeard XR #6 out of a 12 gauge with a good choke is some WICKED stuff!

Just because it throws a wicked pattern does not mean it has any more killing power than other turkey loads. It’s still #6 LEAD shot. On paper, #6 shot should not be used past 40 yards. Now, we both know that more than a few turkeys have died with 6 shot past that.

TomC

Sure it does. Much higher concentration of shot in a 10" circle at longer range with Longbeard XR over standard #6 lead loads. Even though it is still lead there's going to be a bunch more pellets in it's head at longer range. Penetration may be the same but more pellets.......a lot more pellets in the noggin WILL make a difference between killing or crippling at longer range. I've never had the need to shoot over 40 yards but Longbeard XR, particularly out of a 12 gauge is game changer over standard lead loads due strictly to the pattern it throws.

goblr77

Grab an SX4 universal hunter and call it a day. You'll be glad you went with the 26" barrel and the receiver is already drilled and tapped. You can get a waterfowl edition in bottomland but it won't be drilled and tapped. I have an older SX3 that's in my turkey gun arsenal. I cut down a picatinny rail to the length of a burris FF3 and used two mounting holes in the receiver. Some aluminum black on the end of the cut rail made it look nice. I tried a sumtoy mount for the fasfire but it's actually too low for my liking. The bead on the barrel and the fast fire dot appear too close through the sight with that setup. The only negative is that it won't cycle 3.5" Apex reliably. It will eject them every time but won't pick up the next shell due to the excessive length. You'll find that issue with just about every auto you run them in, including a Beretta. My solution was to back up the 3.5" shell with a 3". Works like a charm.

LongBeard50

Moral of the story is if you can see past 40 you didn't set up right to start with.

This couldn’t be further from the truth. I love having a good setup where right as you can see the bird, he is already in gun range. However, that typically applies to our hunting in the south, sometimes. If you have hunted a beautiful ponderosa pine ridge, you know darn well that your 40 yard statement doesn’t hold water. Being able to see 100+ yards is the norm in those scenarios.