Duck Gun Suggestions for my 8 year old son

NMH5050

I am going to get my 8 year old son a shotgun for this duck season. I am looking for a few suggestions on what everyone has bought for their kids. Thanks for your help!

Mark K

Banned
What can he hold up safely and shoot? Best bet is take him with you and let him hold each shotgun and go from there. Gonna be tough to find one at that age. An Ultralight or Montefeltro in 20ga might fit and be light enough to handle.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I'd start an 8 year old out with a pump first and foremost. Just safest option IMO. I'd make it inexpensive as he won't really appreciate it at that age and it's going to get abused duck hunting. I'd go with a 20 gauge. Will kill ducks just fine and less recoil for the lil guy. Being said, Remmy 870 or Benelli Nova. Any of the Stoeger and Franchi pump models would do as well and not break the bank.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Reckon I should also mention that Remington products ain't what they used to be. Might be better off to go used if you choose this route.

Big7

The Oracle
For an 8 yo, I would suggest something along the lines of the 870 or 1100 express.

YES SIR !!
X2 on a youth model 870.

I have one purchased for rabbit hunting, running dogs. It don't kick much at all.
Mine has a 3" chamber. (for all I know, all might be a 3" chamber.

You can borrow mine to try out if you want to.

I'm not a duck hunter but I have shot rabbit, squirrel, dove and quail with mine. IT IS A SWEET LITTLE SHOTGUN.

And... It will double as a slug gun if y'all deer hunt.

Big7

The Oracle
I am going to get my 8 year old son a shotgun for this duck season. I am looking for a few suggestions on what everyone has bought for their kids. Thanks for your help!

For some strange reason, I can't find PM.
Shoot me one. I have something you might be interested in.

And... For admin. and Mod's, I'm not trying to sell my shotgun.?

Mark K

Banned
Kids and pumps don’t mix too well unless you just want him to have a gun and just shoot. If that’s the case buy a single shot, they’ll both kick about the same. I have yet to see a child keep their heads down while shucking a shell. Most look up and pull the gun to the side of whichever hand they’re pumping with. And the only reason I say that was because I bought mine one close to that age as well. He might or might not hit on that first shot, but I can guarantee he won’t hit anything with the next two.
Take him to the store and have him shoulder them and pump while there, you’ll see what I’m talking about. Buying shotguns for kids is like buying shoes, unless they are there, then it probably won’t fit...but shoes you can take back.

Juan De

Tristar is making a 410 they call it the turkey edition buddy of mine bought it for his 7 year old for turkey and deer hunting, but I’m sure by the feel of it it would do nicely for ducks. It’s in the 700 or so range.

TurkeyH90

Unless he is big for an 8 year old you are gonna have trouble finding something with a short enough LOP and light enough to handle that won't kick the snot out of him. I have had a tough time finding one for my son. I'd suggest a gas auto (one shell at a time) with a replacement buttstock you cut off to fit. A pump or single is gonna be a shoulder buster with a decent duck load. I have a Mossberg bantam but I buy reduced recoil shells. You do not want to start him flinching or being scared to shoot. I have seen it ruin a youngun for years. Matter of fact we just sold a deer rifle after about 3 shots because of this. Had to get something HEAVIER.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I would be more interested in a life jacket than a gun for an 8 year old going on a duck hunt. He is not going for the shooting as much as being with you.Make it safe as you can.
Amen!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
8?
single shot 410 with bismuth

GunnSmokeer

The last time I bought a shotgun for kids, then around ages 9 and 11, it was a .410 pump action. They hated it. It had too much recoil they said, AND it didn't impress them with the patterns it threw. They didn't destroy as many reactive targets as they expected, or like they saw me do with my 20 and 12 gauge guns.

I've also had women, and men, and teenagers (big boys, over 150 lbs and nearly five-foot-nine tall) complain about high-brass 20 gauge 2.75" chamber shells run through a pump shotgun.

THEREFORE, I think what would work best is a semi-auto 20 gauge.
Self-loaders kick less than pumps or other locked-breech designs.
Get a normal weight one. Extra mass slows down the acceleration of the recoil impulse. It feels like less recoil. If the gun doesn't come with an excellent sighting system, put on high-viz fiber optics bead(s).

It's a shame semi-auto 28-gauge shotguns are so darned expensive-- that would be an option, too. Well, maybe not, since I don't think anybody makes a 28 ga. shotshell in the appropriate non-toxic loading for hunting migratory waterfowl.

I would not go down to .410, not for duck hunting.

Core Lokt

Yildiz A71 Youth model 20 ga. He'll love it and the 20 ga. will flat hammer any duck around.

My daughter has one. She got it when she was 17 and loves it. I shot it a few times duck hunting and I bought the same gun in the regular size and it's all I shoot duck hunting now.

A Stevens OU 555 in 20 is another choice. My friends 10 yo shoots one well.

TAS

I bought me son a weatherby 20 gauge semi auto. Used as a single shot for some time but the semi auto recoils less.

Hunter/Mason

I bought mine a mossberg super bantam 20ga pump at 6. It come with adjustable but plates and a certificate that you send in when he out grows it so you can get a regular stock. Only issue I have with it is it’s so short when he shoots it’s soo loud for everyone else around

Uptonongood

Eight years of age is unusually young to start duck hunting so here are my thoughts:

Kids attention span at that age is very short. Plus, their ability to manager/tolerate bad weather and cold temps can add other stressors. Kids like action and activity which can be a challenge in duck hunting. Best to shorten the hunting day rather than expect the child to suffer through it. You want them to really enjoy themselves the very first hunt.

As for firearms, pump shotguns even as 20 guages, have significant recoil. This recoil will produce incorrect mounting of the gun, lifting the head off of the stock, and recoil flinching. A small gun like a .410 eliminates these issues but it is really the gun of expert shooters and not suitable to kill ducks in most situations. That being said, the hunting adult can always inform the youngster that they just made an incredible shot on that last bird regardless of whether the child hit it or someone else did.

I recommend a semi-auto loader in 20 ga. with a short enough length of pull so gun mount is good. Time spent shooting clays for a month will also be beneficial.

Take snacks and hot chocolate along for both of you. I can still remember my first "duck hunt" from 1954. Didn't kill and ducks but I did manage to kill a coot (or so I was told!). I was shooting a .410/.22 over and under made by Savage and the coot was probably 30 yards away. Naw, I didn't kill it, my older brother probably did.