Dedicated Turkey Gun

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
This couldn’t be further from the truth. I love having a good setup where right as you can see the bird, he is already in gun range. However, that typically applies to our hunting in the south, sometimes. If you have hunted a beautiful ponderosa pine ridge, you know darn well that your 40 yard statement doesn’t hold water. Being able to see 100+ yards is the norm in those scenarios.
Pretty sure you just said I was right. GON. Georgia is in the south. Maybe use that ridge to your advantage.

Buckman18

Pretty sure you just said I was right. GON. Georgia is in the south. Maybe use that ridge to your advantage.

I’ll also say you was right! :bounce:

Mark K

Banned
Guess I’m doing it all wrong. Or setting up way to far away from them. About 75yds is as close as I’ll get, had too many sail over my head if I get any closer.
As far as TSS, there’s more reason than have shot that will kill at misjudged ranges. There’s already been a topic about having to shoot a hog three times with 3.5 “turkey” loads to kill it. I’ve read about shooting coyotes and them running off. With TSS that doesn’t happen...at least not for me and my 20ga.
And I prefer my shots at 20-35...anything closer is a possible miss. Y’all just don’t understand how tore up I get when a bird is gobbling and coming in! I have to remind myself to breathe!! Deer are no problem...turkeys, and I’m like a kid getting his first kiss!

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Guess I’m doing it all wrong. Or setting up way to far away from them. About 75yds is as close as I’ll get, had too many sail over my head if I get any closer.
As far as TSS, there’s more reason than have shot that will kill at misjudged ranges. There’s already been a topic about having to shoot a hog three times with 3.5 “turkey” loads to kill it. I’ve read about shooting coyotes and them running off. With TSS that doesn’t happen...at least not for me and my 20ga.
And I prefer my shots at 20-35...anything closer is a possible miss. Y’all just don’t understand how tore up I get when a bird is gobbling and coming in! I have to remind myself to breathe!! Deer are no problem...turkeys, and I’m like a kid getting his first kiss!
Missing the point of setup, Mark. Lets change it to "how far you can see once you sit down to call". Viewing area. All goes back to the bird seeing the spot the call is coming from, and no hen being there. Nothing to do with off the roost either. After you strike a bird.

I guess if I wanted to carry my sons youth 870 from about 15 yrs ago, I'd probably try TSS. I guess the magnum blends my nephew used with it probably cost $6 a shell. Probably fix it up for my granddaughter though. We always ejected the Magnum Blends and blasted the yotes with Winchester Supremes backing them up. Not gonna post the pic of the last one. lol

Big7

The Oracle
Not what you want but you asked for opinions so here’s mine.

20 gauge 870, dipped, with a red dot. Can buy in most any barrel length you want and if not can have cut down. Choked to shoot TSS. It will be light, mild recoil, and kill turkeys as far away as 12 gauges did just a few years ago.

I grew up shooting pumps. They don’t hang up. They just work. Over and over again.

I'm with you on that. Why shoot a 20 when the same gun in 12 is available.

I have many of just about anything under $1500.00.

My "go to" is an NEF/ H&R with a 22 inch fixed full choke with a 3 1/2 inch chamber that I use for deer and hog as well. I bought it brand new for $125.00. Beautiful steel and a spray painted cammo stock. I just covered everything except the receiver with ALLEN BRAND TAPE. That's very important. Some of the other tape is a little shiny for me. I laid it on the ground once to takeva wiz. Took me 30 minutes to find it. I've taken a bunch of Turkey with it. I even have a one shot double. When you turn loose a 2 1/4 oz load of #4 shot, you are shooting with authority. Very few flapped around for a second. DRT. I've never had one take a step.

Kwaksmoka

I simply shoot TSS so I can carry a 20, 28 or 410 and not worry about being able to kill what I'm shooting at. I don't care about 60 yards or whatever people want to argue about. I care that I can carry that gun all day, hold it as long as I want and when I need it the job gets done right! as I said earlier I would go with a 20 ga auto, I have a Franchi and a weatherby 20 gauges both setup with sumtoy chokes very lightweight and very deadly just as far as a 12 that weighs twice as much. .02

I regards to the misjudgment of distance, that’s another reason I prefer the factory bead on my shotgun. You cannot aim at a Gobblers head at 60 yards with a bead site not 50 either, the bead will completely cover the whole Gobbler. I have never shot at one thinking it was 40 and ended up being 60 like you here from people shooting scopes.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I regards to the misjudgment of distance, that’s another reason I prefer the factory bead on my shotgun. You cannot aim at a Gobblers head at 60 yards with a bead site not 50 either, the bead will completely cover the whole Gobbler. I have never shot at one thinking it was 40 and ended up being 60 like you here from people shooting scopes.
Same can be done with a red dot. An 8 moa red dot in theory covers a 3.2" disc at 40 yards. If the dot covers the head, it's over 40. If the dot fits inside, it's inside 40. There's fudge factor plus or minus a handful of yards but never 60 where it would cover a disc of 4.8" diameter. None of this is exact because dot size can vary depending on distance from eyeball, but it's good enough for turkey hunting traditional ranges. It's something that one can measure on a paper target set up at different ranges. Gil

Last edited:

turkeykirk

Same can be done with a red dot. An 8 moa red dot in theory covers a 3.2" disc at 40 yards. If the dot covers the head, it's over 40. If the dot fits inside, it's inside 40. There's fudge factor plus or minus a handful of yards but never 60 where it would cover a disc of 4.8" diameter. None of this is exact because dot size can vary depending on distance from eyeball, but it's good enough for turkey hunting traditional ranges. It's something that one can measure on a paper target set up at different ranges. Gil

Good information.

Mark K

Banned
I’ll have to check mine again then. I shot a bird at 53 yards (verified) that I thought for sure was under 40 and all I remember is putting it on his wattles. I’m shooting a FFIII too.

That’s a good idea I’ve never used the dot sounds like something dot site users should look into, testing the dot size against a turkey head target.Thats pretty much how I figured my max distance with the bead.

M1KL83

Recently purchased a Beretta 1301 Tactical that has a short 18.5" barrel with Optima HP choke threading. I'd like it to double as a turkey gun so I'm on the hunt to find it's perfect mate of a Turkey choke.
I'm under the impression that shorter barrel guns perform better with tighter constriction chokes but I'd like to know other's opinion on this?
So far on the short list is Jebs .650, Rhino .660, Indian Creek .650 - .670 (whichever constriction I ask for), Müller offers a 60 day money back offer similar to Jebs so I may try a Müller as well.
My 22" Browning BPS wears a .665 Indian Creek and it patterns well.
I will most likely be using Long Beard XR #5 or #6.

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated!

Turkeytider

Recently purchased a Beretta 1301 Tactical that has a short 18.5" barrel with Optima HP choke threading. I'd like it to double as a turkey gun so I'm on the hunt to find it's perfect mate of a Turkey choke.
I'm under the impression that shorter barrel guns perform better with tighter constriction chokes but I'd like to know other's opinion on this?
So far on the short list is Jebs .650, Rhino .660, Indian Creek .650 - .670 (whichever constriction I ask for), Müller offers a 60 day money back offer similar to Jebs so I may try a Müller as well.
My 22" Browning BPS wears a .665 Indian Creek and it patterns well.
I will most likely be using Long Beard XR #5 or #6.

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated!

You might consider trying a Primos Jellyhead, maybe .660. I know it`s a different gun, but the Jellyheads seem to be tailor made for 870`s.

Darkhorse

If considering a SX3 or SX4 you might as well give the Browning Maxus Special Purpose a look also. Several years ago they were said to be the same gun in a different wrapper.
I bought myself one as a retirement gift 7 or 8 years ago. The Maxus special purpose is the Turkey version of the Maxus line. It comes with Mossy Oak Bottomland camo, is drilled and tapped, has the 3.5" chamber and a 26" barrel. Sorry about the barrel but it still works out well. I had a Remington 11-87 Turkey with a 21 inch barrel and can't really tell much difference.
It comes with fiber optics sights and has all the trick stuff done inside the barrel. It also has the adjustable butt stock for drop, cast and LOP.
Look at the Browning website for the complete details.
7 pounds. I like mine.

LongBeard50

If considering a SX3 or SX4 you might as well give the Browning Maxus Special Purpose a look also. Several years ago they were said to be the same gun in a different wrapper.
I bought myself one as a retirement gift 7 or 8 years ago. The Maxus special purpose is the Turkey version of the Maxus line. It comes with Mossy Oak Bottomland camo, is drilled and tapped, has the 3.5" chamber and a 26" barrel. Sorry about the barrel but it still works out well. I had a Remington 11-87 Turkey with a 21 inch barrel and can't really tell much difference.
It comes with fiber optics sights and has all the trick stuff done inside the barrel. It also has the adjustable butt stock for drop, cast and LOP.
Look at the Browning website for the complete details.
7 pounds. I like mine.

That sounds like a very solid option. Big browning fan here. When do the new 2020 guns come out?

Juan De

I recently purchased a Benelli nova 20ga to dedicate to turkey. My previous go 2 was a Browning gold 10. I have developed an issue in my elbow which I am recovering from surgery as we speak. My reason for going light is to spare these elbows from holding a gun for long minutes when the bird just won’t take that last 2 steps.