44 mag accuracy at 100 meters

GunnSmokeer

Elmer Keith

Elmer Keith, the guy who helped create the .44 Rem Mag cartridge some 60 years ago as a long-range hunting round, used to shoot it and 400 yards.

One time he used to to try to finish-off an already-wounded deer that another hunter had hit, and he shot at that deer from 600 yards, and hit it with 2 out of his 4 shots.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=34

rosewood

Encore 12" .44mag roll my own, 1.5" @ 100yds. 240 gr speer jsp with h110.

tdw3684

I used a Beartooth Bullets firelapping kit to remove the constrictions in the barrel of my super blackhawk. It went from 8" groups to under 2" groups at a 100 yards with 260 grain wfn cast bullets. It's a slow process but worth the effort for top accuracy.

Alan in GA

tight spot....

possibly relevant, do you feel a 'tight spot' in your barrel at the barrel shank where it is threaded into the frame? I've had 4 SBHKs' and Ruger really honkered down when fitting the barrels, at least 2 of them anyway.
What does a tight patch do when pushed through that area?
Also, have you tried shooting a few groups using only one chamber for all the shots in the group? If you feel like trying, try all 6 chambers or at least a chamber that leaves the most even pattern at the cylinder's front chamber opening [flash marks of burnt powder]. May or may not show accuracy as other posts have mentioned doing in their guns.
4 Super Blackhawks and 2 Redhawks,...all gone but the last Redhawk, a blued 'Hunter' version. Love being able to mount/remove scope for different uses. Just feels better having at least one 44 around than...'not' : )

95g atl

With higher power loads (not target loads) I have consistently hit an 8" pie plate at 100 "yards" with a Taurus 4" barrel, 44 mag - w/factory sites.

I would say either your skills AND/OR ammo is holding you back. 44 mags typically have 240 grains (heavy) so target loads may not get out to 100 yards/meters without drop.

Try bench resting at 100 to see if the gun is accurate (which it should be). have a buddy try it.

Try some different types of ammo and shoot alot I know that small groups can become large groups with distance
Small mistakes in shooting ( trigger control having the same sight picture every time grip or hand placement while shooting could all be a factor )

Glock20SF

Back in the day there was a magazine article that tested all 44 Magnun bullet weights with a machine rest. The consensus was 300 grain JHPs were the best. No review of heavy cast bullets was made but I always suspect they will shoot better than me. A friend's Ruger Super Blackhawk over my knees at 75 yards, with 2x scope, shot under two inches, convinced me that my shooting not the gun was where accuracy would come from. Handload was Lyman 429421 with 22 grains 2400. With iron sights I celebrate when I shoot half that well. Those old Super Blackhawks convinced me Bisley grip frames were the way to go for me.

flyrod444

Elmer Keith, the guy who helped create the .44 Rem Mag cartridge some 60 years ago as a long-range hunting round, used to shoot it and 400 yards.

One time he used to to try to finish-off an already-wounded deer that another hunter had hit, and he shot at that deer from 600 yards, and hit it with 2 out of his 4 shots.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=34
If I remember correctly Elmer Keith did this with a 4 inch barrel and open sites as well. He was unreal in his ability to shoot. In the autobiography I read on him he carried a pistol with him to school because someone was out to get him. All I can say as they couldn't have been the sharpest tool in the shed.
Jack

AliBubba

I get 4" groups at 100 yds with my Ruger 44 Mag SRH 9.5" barrel using American Eagle 240 gr soft and hollow points of a rest or a bipod.

Marlin_444

50 is the Max I'll attempt a kill shot, but hey... I say - - Smoke'm is you got'em!!