A question for those advocating hog control

reelblue1

Banned
Thank you, just comes from the heart and soul of a real hunter, with morals & ethics, unlike most raving about these ludicrous claims of over populated hogs.

Parker Phoenix

Thank you, just comes from the heart and soul of a real hunter, with morals & ethics, unlike most raving about these ludicrous claims of over populated hogs.

We are talking about wild hogs here, an invasive species, a non game animal. When talking of removal ,how does "ethics" come into place? Now the term "real hunter" comes up. When we all know that when a person says "real hunter" he is saying that anyone who doesn't hunt like you or 100% agree with your methods of killing (notice I didn't say harvest, that's another subject) is not a hunter. This thread wreeks of elitism.

redlevel

How ludicrous is it when you drive into a 15 acre field and flush 20 to 30 pigs out the other end?

Parker Phoenix is correct. Eradication of a non-game invasive species has nothing to do with the "morals and ethics" of hunting.

reelblue1

Banned
We are talking about wild hogs here, an invasive species, a non game animal. When talking of removal ,how does "ethics" come into place? Now the term "real hunter" comes up. When we all know that when a person says "real hunter" he is saying that anyone who doesn't hunt like you or 100% agree with your methods of killing (notice I didn't say harvest, that's another subject) is not a hunter. This thread wreeks of elitism.

You are right about one thing, some of you think you are so elite, that you can eradicate a species that God put on this earth a a food source. And most of you wanting to eradicate hogs hide behind the Laws that call them NON GAME. This is totally ludicrous. it seems there are more efforts to get rid of hogs than the aids virus. Some people like to hunt them, and some of you hate them for whatever reason you can come up with. Thos eof you who hate them so bad should quit eating bacon, ham, and Porkchops, because I know every bite of pork must infuriate you to know end. We wouldn't want you to have a heart attack.

hevishot

Banned
You are right about one thing, some of you think you are so elite, that you can eradicate a species that God put on this earth a a food source. And most of you wanting to eradicate hogs hide behind the Laws that call them NON GAME. This is totally ludicrous. it seems there are more efforts to get rid of hogs than the aids virus. Some people like to hunt them, and some of you hate them for whatever reason you can come up with. Thos eof you who hate them so bad should quit eating bacon, ham, and Porkchops, because I know every bite of pork must infuriate you to know end. We wouldn't want you to have a heart attack.

Ok...I'm fed up with WILD hogs rooting up my fields, I hate the damage the WILD hogs do....so I should give up eating bacon, ham, and porkchops....:crazy:......

reelblue1

Banned
No sir but youshould quit complaining about hogs if you are not going to do anything about the deer and other critters that really eat upyour crops. Send me a PM, and I will be glad to come kill the hogs and remove them. The way things are, a little time and a few bullets could put a lot of fairly cheap food on my table and the tables of others, as I would give away anything I wasn't going to keep. I think it is very unethical to kill a hog and just leave them laying. I do somewhat undestand the leaving of a stinky boar, but then again when I go hunting, I don't take big hogs anyway. I don't hunt for trophies whether it be hogs or deer. I just assume not go hunting, if someone kills something they don't want. I will come get it if I havce time and if it is not too far away. Diesel fuel determines where and how much hunting I will do. Actually diesel fuel determines about 90% of what I do. So if you are near Dodge,Telfair,Wheeler, or Laurens county, let me know & I will come pick up your dead hogs or kill some you want riddance of. If you don't call me or someone else to solve your problem, then quit whining about it and trying to justify the needless slaughter of a NON game species.

hevishot

Banned
No sir but youshould quit complaining about hogs if you are not going to do anything about the deer and other critters that really eat upyour crops. Send me a PM, and I will be glad to come kill the hogs and remove them. The way things are, a little time and a few bullets could put a lot of fairly cheap food on my table and the tables of others, as I would give away anything I wasn't going to keep. I think it is very unethical to kill a hog and just leave them laying. I do somewhat undestand the leaving of a stinky boar, but then again when I go hunting, I don't take big hogs anyway. I don't hunt for trophies whether it be hogs or deer. I just assume not go hunting, if someone kills something they don't want. I will come get it if I havce time and if it is not too far away. Diesel fuel determines where and how much hunting I will do. Actually diesel fuel determines about 90% of what I do. So if you are near Dodge,Telfair,Wheeler, or Laurens county, let me know & I will come pick up your dead hogs or kill some you want riddance of. If you don't call me or someone else to solve your problem, then quit whining about it and trying to justify the needless slaughter of a NON game species.

ok great, PM me your number so when I call you at 10:00 Sunday night after I have a pile of 'em on the ground and its 75-80 degrees...herd that "I'll take 'em all" crap way too many times...and Im not whining about anything...simply stating the fact that I have no problem putting a bullet in every single one I can and if they feed the buzzards, I wont lose a wink of sleep over it. Ya'll keep wanting to say I/we are whining when we really arent-we are killing them and doing what we want to with them. Ya'll dont agree, so its easy to say we are whining...weak. Im in Taylor county.

Parker Phoenix

I appreciate your passion on the subject. Simple, I just don't think of a wild hog as a game animal. I grew up on a farm in south Georgia, and we have killed wild hogs since before my time. We didn't eat them, we raised our own. To me a wild hog is no different than a cochroach. Both are vermin. You just like to hunt them, which is fine. I don't care if I ever skin another wild hog as long as I live.

As far as me being elite. I don't think so. I don't care how you kill your hogs, you can use a grenade launcher as far as I care. I think you have the right to hunt anyway you choose, whether it be free range, or behind the fence. I don't care. I just don't like it when someone insinuates that since I don't share his views I'm unethical or worse, not a real hunter. I can guarantee you this, when I kill one of the pigs on my property it is very real, it's real blood, and one really dead pig that's not gonna root up my property and eat my neighbors peanuts and corn.

Rexter

Hogs

Well said Parker Pheonix - I wonder if all these people talking about this subject actually own land that is being destroyed by these critters? I think any additions to this thread should start out with - "I am a property owner, I have hogs on my property..." Then they can say what's on their mind. Just because some of these folks like to hunt them, they really don't have that much at stake - the hogs aren't ruining thier lively hood.

CAL

I am a property owner with hogs so close to me till they could be on my land now and I haven't discovered it yet.Crop distruction is not the only problem with wild hogs.They root up the fields in search of food to a point of almost impossible to correct sometimes with equipt.The land is so rough till equipt. repair becomes all to necessary and expensive much of the time.Not only do they do extensive crop damage but they also eat up other food items from existing wildlife.Because of their reproduction rate,I can't see getting rid of them any kind of way.A sow will have 2 1/2 ltters a year and they will become breeding age at 6 months.They raise faster than rats.One of my farmer friends has killed to date 265 head.He says he can't see any change in the amount of hogs on his land nor the damage they are doing.It is just as bad as it ever was.
To save me,I can't see where anyone who has them destroying their property and even rooting up the flowers in the yard at night could want the likes of wild hogs maintained so they can hunt them.Please tell my neighbor how unsportsman he is for putting up an electric fence around his home to keep the wild hogs out of his wife's flowers.The hogs are rooting up their yard while they sleep.
For that matter try telling that farmer who stuck his grain header in the dirt because his machine fell in a rooted out hole while he is gathering his grain.Not to mention throwing him into the windshield of his combine or cotton picker.I have been there,I know.Then there is the hog farmer who is trying to raise a quality animal with good feed conversion to find out too late a wild boar has bred his in season sows only to bare a litter that has to be destroyed.

Now,would anyone ask would I kill the last one?

gigem

That is not going to work! You can shootem trapem all you want! Get somebody to dog hunt them Twice and you want have any promblems for a month!

DLS

I like to hunt hogs they are more of a chalange to get one than bushwhacking a deer. They put these ferral deer out & they have been eating my crops ever scence I wish the deer would go & hogs stay

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hogs have always been a huge part of the hunting scene in southeast Georgia and I honestly don't know any other deer hunters around here that don't also enjoy taking an occasional wild pig when given the chance. I hunt them just about all year myself and I'm glad I have the opportunity to do so!

Both deer and turkey get along just fine with them as far as I can tell and I believe the foodplot damage is exagerated to some degree. They'll root up a few here and there but mostly they leave them alone.