GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting
Notices

Old 01-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Default GDOT reporting to WRD

Does GDOT report road kills to WRD as a deer killed in the county?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:22 PM

I've wondered the same thing. Also insurance claims. I know a lot of deer get hit/killed and are never reported to anyone. It sure would be interesting to see road kill numbers and how they relate to the harvest reports.
Last I looked at the season harvest there were less than 200,000 and I know the state used to shoot for a 50% harvest. So if the deer population is 1,000,000 as the state says that means a harvest of 500,000 along all , methods. Is that happening or are road kills pushing that number higher? Maybe that's why people think the deer population is dropping?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:08 PM

WRD gets an annual summary of reported deer vehicle collisions from GDOT, which is usually around 8,000 deer. When you add in those not reported to GDOT, but claimed on insurance, the total is around 50,000 per year. The deer population usually loses between 10 and 20% of the population each year to mortality factors other than hunting. That non-hunting mortality includes deer-vehicle collisions, disease, predation, and poaching. This has also been verified from mortality investigations on radio-collared deer over many years.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Default Thanks Killmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Killmaster View Post
WRD gets an annual summary of reported deer vehicle collisions from GDOT, which is usually around 8,000 deer. When you add in those not reported to GDOT, but claimed on insurance, the total is around 50,000 per year. The deer population usually loses between 10 and 20% of the population each year to mortality factors other than hunting. That non-hunting mortality includes deer-vehicle collisions, disease, predation, and poaching. This has also been verified from mortality investigations on radio-collared deer over many years.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Great info to quell deer death gossip and educate from a wildlife professional. Just shows that the trigger finger on does in low population areas is the main factor in continued decline or lack of recovery.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:03 PM

I wonder what those numbers were about 1990. I don't know where they get population numbers anymore. I think 5000 a year got hit between Newborn and Shadydale back about that time. I hit one running 65 and dodged 17 more between there. I could have sworn it was over 2 million, but I found something that said 1.5. It was a task to get to the woods back then. That mayhem guy was laying all over the road.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Retired Moderator

County Road departments probably pick up many more deer than GDOT. So many more miles of road under their care.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:53 PM

Thank you C. for responding. I would not have guessed the 10-20%. With that said, the totals will add up to close to 50% reduction. Maybe a little less.
Does the state still claim a population of 1,000,000? I would think less these days.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfireman View Post
Thank you C. for responding. I would not have guessed the 10-20%. With that said, the totals will add up to close to 50% reduction. Maybe a little less.
Does the state still claim a population of 1,000,000? I would think less these days.
It's around 1.3 million. Annual hunter harvest is around 25%, so it's 35 to 45% total. Before coyotes were impacting fawns, a reasonable hunter harvest was around 35%.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
It's around 1.3 million. Annual hunter harvest is around 25%, so it's 35 to 45% total. Before coyotes were impacting fawns, a reasonable hunter harvest was around 35%.
Does the amount of doe days in a particular county have anything to do with the number of deer that are hit on the roads?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mtn man View Post
Does the amount of doe days in a particular county have anything to do with the number of deer that are hit on the roads?
No, doe days have traditionally been set regionally in accordance with the desired population trend in the 10-year deer management plan. Once we have several years of game check data we may be able to make adjustments at the county level. Because of the inconsistent manner in which deer-vehicle collisions are reported, I don't consider it a reliable enough source of information to base harvest regulations on.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Charlie,thanks for the information.I didn't know if that was being counted in county totals.Thanks
Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
thinks for always sharing ur info its good to have someone like u a wildlife biologist on a page like this to share valuable info just curious how does dnr make their claim of 1.3 million deer in the state I know surveys and what not and calculation but do you consider this a good estimate?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:04 PM

I know many do not go reported, I work in a city where deer getting hit happens multiple times a day, even more when the rut is on. Most people don’t even stop to report it and who knows how many make it to the wood line and never are found. It’s a shame to see so many get hit, a waste of meat in my opinion. Also have found some of the biggest bucks I’ve ever seen get smacked by a car.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
No, doe days have traditionally been set regionally in accordance with the desired population trend in the 10-year deer management plan. Once we have several years of game check data we may be able to make adjustments at the county level. Because of the inconsistent manner in which deer-vehicle collisions are reported, I don't consider it a reliable enough source of information to base harvest regulations on.
Thanks, that's good.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
It's around 1.3 million.
Charlie

How is that number determined?
Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 PM

I know this is off topic but SC DNR reports that roughly 30% of our deer are harvested by hunters annually.

We are also well off of our reported total of 1.2 million statewide herd total from about 7-8 years ago. I think we are estimated at 750-800K now.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b rad View Post
thinks for always sharing ur info its good to have someone like u a wildlife biologist on a page like this to share valuable info just curious how does dnr make their claim of 1.3 million deer in the state I know surveys and what not and calculation but do you consider this a good estimate?
Population estimates come from a technique called population reconstruction. It's a reverse accounting model that uses deer harvest and estimates and age structure reconstruct the population post-harvest. I don't put a lot of stock in the final number, but the trends over time are the more usable information.