Allatoona boating accident

Alexander

LEO friend said call came in as a boat found cutting circles with nobody on board and a man who was nearly drowned found near the shoreline. Other than that I don't know anymore, however one body has been recovered so far and the search for the other is still ongoing.

Alexander

Prayers, awful close to home as a little river ramp user
My exact thoughts, I had friends calling to make sure I was safe and not involved cause with my work schedule I am on the water quite a bit during the week. Made that run through the "turns" a lot the last few weeks in the dark to duck hunt as Kellogg was really the only ramp open on that end up until this past week.

sinclair1

Last word was one 68 year old male pulled out and transported, one 54 yr old male deceased and one still missing. Any updates?

brianj

Sounds like the search is resuming this morning. Terrible situation; prayers out to all those involved and their families

Red Sticks

So what are you supposed to do when you're sitting dead in the water fishing and somebody comes flying straight at you like that and obviously doesn't see you?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I'm not making lite of this situation by any means when I say this. Speed Kills! I used think my Grand Pa was nuts cause he wouldn't get in a boat with more than a 5 hp motor on it, saying "I ain't never caught a fish move'n faster than I can reel." Now I know that to catch some fish a lot of water has to be covered, but boats have got'n too fast for any ones own good to operate where there are really no driving laws. Most folks can't drive a car "legally", but they'll jump in a boat and veroom gone like a bat.
I'm sorry for those involved and their families and friends and the responders. I have no idea what caused this horrible accident. But I do know the area, and am just guessing that speed plus lack of attention had something to do with it. Please play it safe, just because your boat will run 60 - 70 mph, doesn't mean you can.

MTMiller

That's a dangerous spot. I have seen many close calls there. You can't see around the curve going at high speed. It's a good spot to fish but people come through there at 50+ MPH all the time. It's downright scary when it's foggy.

bluemarlin

I remember fishing that spot as a kid. Prayers for the families.
Unfortunately boating accidents happen way to often here in South Florida... Speed scares me. Especially at night. I've had several friends killed in boating accidents over the years. There is a reason you bring extra crew traveling on sportfish boats and pull back the throttles to 7-8 knots when it gets dark if traveling overnight to places like Bermuda. Everything gets magnified when you add speed and its a full time job to keep and eye on everything around you no matter what size boat.

campboy

Sad. Always hate to hear about these incidents. People just out trying to enjoy the outdoors.

riverbank

Prayers for those involved. I ain't making lite of it either, but I fished a tournament with a fella one time, it was my first time on a big bass boat and I guarantee it's my last. I'm a farm pond, in a Jon boat kinda guy and I was freaking out. 60 mph from spot to spot all day had me rattled. I was asking that guy to slow down some and he thought it was funny. I guess it was , but I won't be back out there. I love to fish..........Slowly.

Red Sticks

A family member of Eddie Bentley (the only known survivor) wrote to CBS46 news, Thursday night:

"My uncle is the only survivor at this time they've still not located my cousin…They were coming around an S shaped curve and so it was a blind spot and the driver of the other boat turned in front of them and flipped their boat. My uncle looked up for a moment and then looked back and my cousin was gone."

So that's different than what I had heard originally on the news. I heard one boat was sitting there fishing and the other hit it. Now it sounds like it was a near head on collision.

Cmp1

BANNED
I feel sorry for the people involved,,,, but if it was speed related,,,, I don't get it,,,, why the need to go so fast,,,, our boat has a 25hp merc,,,, I don't think I've ever had it at full speed,,,, no hurry,,,, just wanted to relax and enjoy fishing,,,,

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
Friend of mine was the survivor. I started to call him today but they had not found his cousin last that I heard. Thought I would give it a day or two and lets things settle down.

Gmonkey

I recieved a call this morning from a mutual acquaintance. Turns out, I knew the guy in the other boat. News called him James Mills. I knew him a Jim. His was the boat that was found circling after it was hit.
He had put in at Kellogg Creek. He was heading to a dock somewhere to pick up his son. They heard the the stripers were biting around Little River. He never made it.
From the looks of his boat, speed on his part was definitely not an issue. The bass boat however could have been scootin' I've been on the water a number of times when they fly by and it can be scary.