“Wanna go elk hunting…?!”

MoeBirds

....When I lived on the east coast I’d sit there for hours reading Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, and other hunting pubs fascinated by the articles on elk hunting; complete with how to pursue them in RUT, track them in snow, and even recipes on how to prepare them for the plate. I’d stare at the photographs of breathtaking scenery, the string of pack mules, hard sided tents, and monster racks; then remember I was unemployed, a total loser, and casually flip the page knowing… ‘I’d never be able to afford going on an elk hunt’:(?

…Now here I am in Montana, I’m a resident, its hunting season, I have a tag, and I still can’t afford to go on an elk hunt, but am anyways; so wish me luck!?...:cool:
……………………..

I did very little research I must admit, so this might be a bust; convinced it would never really happen and instead simply pointed my truck in the direction of public ground. Oh sure I’ve got a bull elk tag for the area and have booked a small cabin for the duration of ‘Opening-Weekend’ (Oct 25th*), but so has everyone else in the state, or so it appears?

(*Big-game seasons start on Sundays up here, odd as that seems?)

This is ‘public-land hunting’ and nothing more or less; ‘The Gravelly Region’, just west of West Yellowstone, begins mere feet behind the cabin and heads due west into Idaho. The hunters of Montana; ‘locals’, non residents, and the grizzly bears, will apparently be my ‘partners’ for the next week or so I’m told, though there’s not likely a one of them ‘who will be essentially unemployed and homeless following their trip’, nor knowing so while doing it; which adds a bit of adventure I really could do without:(?

…Yup, the job at the Big Horn Fly Shop is over, I’m about busted once again, and though I have no home to speak of; I intend on killing me a bull elk and a monster mule deer, before I even try to find a new place to live…. ‘How’s that for stupid???’:biggrin2:

Bird-guiding fell thru this year because Suzie was attacked and injured by a Chow/Lab mix 24 hours before the Opener (long story) and the resulting hospitalization/care/ and Vet bills forced me to cancel what few days I’d had scheduled. She’s doing fine now and has a scar on her pretty pink little nose, but it hasn’t affected her bird finding skills as she proved that yesterday on the way up here*! Still, the scare was enough to convince me risking ripping her face open again or being shot by a novice hunter, wasn’t worth the toll; so I’ve shelved ‘guiding’ this year and will pursue other employment (?).

*Girls are ‘in boarding’ just south of Bozeman.

My stuff remains in my singlewide back on the REZ, but only till November 1st, then I’ve gotta be out; as the ‘tin can’ will be winterized, the pipes filled with free-on, windows wrapped in plastic, to sit empty under several feet of snow until another total loser rolls into Fort Smith on fumes, pries open its wooden door, and attempts to carve out a place for himself as the village idiot in a fishing village filled with idiots.

……………………...

I have my trusty rifle, a Marlin 270 with a scope that has no name. I bought a sling, bipod, and enough ammo to kill all the Taliban if they should happen to be seen in BLM area 327. All this for whopping $380.00 cash and sighted it in the same day just outside of town.

(Same I used to take my Big Horn Pronghorn last week, will post pics shortly)

I’d used to own a Remington model 700 in 30-06, and I’d paid over $400.00 just for the gun. Then I added a well advertised Leopold scope for another $390.00 and had myself a pretty expensive set-up; thanks to my ‘new credit card’ the woman just talked me into twenty minutes earlier at the entrance to Bass Pro Shops. With this gun I set about shooting at all sorts of game over the many years I owned it and missing nearly everything, to the point I sold it to a young fellow who’d showed interest; after I’d forgotten and left it on the roof of a Suburban as I toured he and his father around the property. It certainly wasn’t the Remington that was doing all the missing, but regardless; $200.00 bucks later the kid had a new (8 year old gun) and I had no rifle, and simply borrowed others when the time came to use one.

“A 30-06” I’d heard for years “was the best caliber for all sorts of big game” and would’ve been ideal for anything I might encounter in Montana, but they were out of this type in ‘06 at the local Trading Post; so I got the 270 and that was that.

(NOTE- My DEA friend from FL, who visited last year, ‘repossessed’ one I had for trip up?)
………………..

Besides the fella behind the counter, some old hobbled customer standing nearby on crutches, as well as a coworker at the fly shop -who’s supposedly felled many an elk, all assured me; “given the right kind of ammo a 270 would, could, and has killed, just as many elk as a 30-06”!

I feel better after hearing this even though the likelihood of me seeing an elk is low, but I hold out hope for some ‘beginner’s luck’, followed by a well placed shot? If I had any doubts though, I think I recall the famed trophy hunter Jack O’Conner favored this caliber for many a game including elk, so assuming I’m loaded with the right amount of powder (150 grain); I should have enough ‘knock down power’ to take a small new born elk calf should one make the mistake of showing itself within the next 36 hours:shoot:?

…Actually, I do intend to hunt for a bull elk, preferably one with at least 5x5 or better, as visions of such a beast have robbed me of sleep for the past 25 years. If one doesn’t show though in the first two days, I’ll take a cow or calf and go about attempting my first cleaning-and-quartering of it utilizing my packet of downloaded info (off the internet), and my handy new set of knives –supplying me with enough meat to get thru the winter and then some….?

…………………..

Oh yes, for those who are detecting a pattern, you’d be correct in deducing I’m spending hard-earned money I ‘should be saving for relocation’ instead on all the unnecessary calls, field cleaning knives, game bags, and pack-frame; none of which I’m likely to need considering my chances at elk are as slim as single women in Montana? The weight of all this combined with my hefty new gun, my not-so spectacular physique, and a few pounds of guilt, are a concern I might not even make it a hundred yards from my truck before giving in to exhaustion?

My local obit would hopefully read: ‘Died doing what he loved’, though if any real news organization got hold of it might coldly print a headline: …‘Idiotic elk hunter-wannabe found dead eleven feet from his truck after shooting monster elk, antlers and cape in his grasp, but no meat found nearby?!”
…………………………….

I was wise not to follow any of the “aerobic exercises” often listed in the same outdoor magazines -complete with illustrations of much thinner men than I doing all sorts of pushups, sit-ups, and other odd calisthenics; as the cartoonish guy prepared to go on his first elk hunt, (though he likely having more success than I will)?

Instead I spent any time I could’ve walked a mile, or even two blocks to the fly shop, behind the wheel of my truck; digging up my lawn doing a 3-point-turn, much to the entertainment and ridicule from my neighbors for being ‘so bloody lazy’.

…Admittedly the longest distance I’ve covered all year on-foot was the 1.3 miles slogged to-and-from a fishing-access, where I was ‘skunked on the Big Horn’ once again, then raced back to the shop for my noon-to-five shift where it was my job to advise a hundred visiting fishermen on “what’s working out there?”:huh:

Besides not having a girlfriend, which I think I’ve exhaustedly covered on the forum, I also have no friends who were willing to go elk hunting with me? My old hunting buddy from Florida decided to go off and join the Black Water circus in Afghanistan as a soldier of fortune (Xe/DEA)-hunting terrorist, instead of coming up for another Montana hunt with his old pal, so I’m going it alone.

...Because of this, I’ve decided to ask a few online friends to join me….. If your game:D????
…………………….

I’m settled into a tiny cabin on the Madison looking over a map of different shades of green and brown, indicating elevations in terrain, and marking off areas I have no intention to climb. If I see an elk track I’ll consider it a success, fresh droppings -bonus. If a nice mule deer or exceptionally handsome whitetail shows itself I intend to shorten ‘my first elk hunt’ with whatever’s easiest to get back to the truck without dying in the process. If a black bear should make the mistake of being in the same time-zone as me; I’ll attempt to lay down enough ammo to take my first bear too- given I applied for a tag for him as well. I’ll admit the wolf tag is the biggest stretch, but I’ll do my part if I see one as the state only allows three more till its’ controversial season is closed. The only animal I don’t have permission to kill are a Grizzly*, but legal or not; if one sizes me up for a meal I’ll shoot him in the eyeball with my new 270 and run for the hills:hair:!

*Actually quite common in the Gravelly Mt. or so I hear?……………………..

Internet service is spotty to non-existent out here, but I’m heading to West Yellowstone one night and Ennis the other, both less than 30 miles in either direction, as I intend on doing a cursory job-search while here; given I’ve joined the ranks of those ‘collecting unemployment’ as of yesterday and need to show “I’m looking”. Thankfully, there’s no space on the page or requirement to mention ‘what you’re doing when you’re not looking’?

So I’ll check in nightly and let you know how things went, maybe post a few pics. If there’s a day’s delay between this post and the next, it means I’ve got one down and am busy cleaning it, or have been eaten by a grizzly, or got one down, was busy cleaning it, then was eaten by a grizzly; otherwise I intend to check-in.

The pressure is on now huh?!.....ah…”elk hunting”….who would do it any other way??..........

Moe

Woody's Janitor

Keep it up Moe! You can do it!

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
Moebirds you are better off unemployed in the beautiful state of Montana than Georgia... at least in my opinion :cool: If I were there I would be glad to hunt with you. If it's any consolation I will be in the woods hunting all next week, not anywhere near the internet to read your updates, but I will be thinking of you on your elk, wolf, mule deer, whitetail hunting adventure with sincere envy :shoot: I will be checking for updates until Monday a.m so keep us posted! :cheers:

ClydeWigg3

Pictures from Moe.

Pronghorn_1_112.jpg

bear_cub_2009_024.jpg

bear_cub_2009_135.jpg

ClydeWigg3

Some guys have all the luck. Way to go Moe!!! Great speed goat!!!!

Big_Horn_Pronghorn_041.jpg

Big_Horn_Pronghorn_034.jpg

MoeBirds

Thanks Clyde....

Sightings so far-

Elk – 0*
Muleys - 12 (no shooters)
Whitetail - 8 (same)
Bears - 0
Wolf - 0
Other hunters - 500 (at least):banginghe!?
*Saw half a dozen cows in the bed of pickups-DOA…………….

I ran into Hank, my neighbor, on the way out of town and when he heard I was heading this way he said: “Oh it’ll be a zoo?!”

Hank’s always exaggerating and drives me insane, especially total lies at how many fish he’s caught; so I scoffed at his adjective and am now paying for doing so?! He was right though, it truly is mind boggling just how many guys are up here and when it comes to ‘young-hunter recruitment in other states waning’, this is simply not the case up here- given its popularity to folks from others!

When I stopped in Bozeman on the way over I went to the Fish and Game Office to buy my bear and wolf tag and casually looked behind me at the line forming -shocked to see a little old lady in her 70’s, a middle-aged man I’d of pegged as ‘an anti’, and a 16 year-old kid, as well as a dozen others; all there to buy their annual elk-tag (as ‘the opener’ was only two days away), and all patiently waiting while the big idiot up front wasted his money on a silly bear and wolf tag:rolleyes:?!
………………………

My reasons for the tags- fear mostly, but don’t tell anyone?
Out here “fair chase” has dual meaning; given the presence of grizzly and wolf packs that are all inappropriately named like: “Jane- 151” or the “Cottonwood Pack”. Oh these sound pleasant, until their chewing on your liver or fighting over your scalp:mad:?

It’s an uneasy feeling being all alone in such a big wilderness a mile or two down a path as narrow as two feet and surrounding vegetation overgrown to where you feel you’re in a tunnel. While ‘breathtaking’ once you emerge onto another hillside overlooking another valley you’ve never seen before, ‘the views’ are interrupted by checking your back-trail constantly and repeatedly scratching the hairs that are standing up on the back of your neck, before you realize you’re doing it?

This is something I’ve only once felt while hunting in the south, though it was an alligator -photographed on a dark trail to a ladder-stand by a fellow leaser, which had the whole camp on edge? This however, is packs of alligators roaming the hillsides or giant grizzly bears known to come to the ‘crack of a rifle’ as natures’ dinner-bell tolling time for a meal. ‘A feast’ not to be interrupted by a silly little 300 lbs. human being trying to steal your prey from you ‘on your own turf no less’!?

‘Keeping the wind in your face - as a tactic to a successful hunt’ has its drawbacks, as it also doesn’t allow a bear to smell you coming either? This means by the time you see him, he’s seen you, or worse; your duty bound to inform him of your presence if he hasn’t (or that’s what I’ve read), by talking loudly and making yourself appear big and intimidating when you’re obviously not? It’s a lot more logical to retreat before he spots you, but given the unpredictable nature of these beasts, your odds are better it appears to give the fella fair warning you’re in his yard and let him decide whether he’s hungry or not:confused:?

I’m not sure who writes these articles on attacks and ‘how to avoid Grizzlies’, whether its folks who have PHD on the subject, or those who’ve been mauled and are permanently disfigured all they can do is type out stupid articles with their one remaining finger that make no bloody sense?!

If I had any “advice” this early-on in my elk hunting career, it would be don’t read anything related to “bear attacks” just prior to your first day afield!?
...Who would ‘leave such a book in a hunting cabin anyway’:mad:?!
………………………

I woke late this morning trying ‘a not-so-new strategy’, universally called over-sleeping?!

“HOLY COW its 7:00AM already:hair:?!”

My mad dash out the door without shower or breakfast was all for not as I stood freezing to death scraping the ice from my windshield and spending the next 15 minutes waiting for my windows to defrost and interior to warm up?
“18 degrees …HOLY COW?!” I said again teeth chattering, after glancing at my truck-thermometer (now it was clear why I’d ‘finally slipped into unconsciousness’, one devoid of awaking regardless of alarm-radio or fellow cabin-renters stirring; after tossing and turning all night long ‘as I always did before an opener’?!

At this point my mind also froze as I realized: ‘I’d just awoken late for my very first elk hunt’ and had no one to blame but myself?!

…Having spent the previous day seeing hundreds of other hunters driving this way and that up and down the Gravelly Mountain, sometimes actual traffic-jams occurring; I was sure the three places I’d planned on hunting were taken, so I went and had breakfast instead at ‘The Den’- (an unimaginative name for a café in this area, but the omelets’ pretty good nonetheless).

I did get it “to-go” though, so this shows some ambition? Moments later, I was “road hunting”, while eating my hash browns and ham and cheese omelet (the owner nice and stupid enough to ‘lend me a real knife and fork’ as she was out of plastic?!) I drove for an hour up that silly mountain again, having done much the same the day before, and saw nada; except a hundred trucks and footprints of men who’d awoken ‘on time’ and were now probably successfully hunting elk on the mountain directly behind my cabin?!

“AAargh:banginghe!!”
…………………

Once I did finally find an open-spot, it was pretty obvious why: because the guy who’d been there since day-light had grown hungry and decided on a much-needed trip to ‘the Den’ for breakfast, after cleaning his elk for the last two hours, was in order (blood on snow of a freshly quartered-elk under my tires):O?!

…Because of this blunder and because my neighbors two cabins over laughed without interruption for a solid minute, after I told them I “was holding out for a 5x5 or better”; I’ve decided this thread might be a ‘three-part deal’ (this being PART 1), as if I don’t shoot something by noon tomorrow; it’s likely I’ll vacate and hit a ranch on the way back home that has not only killer muleys on it, but sharpies and huns too?! ………………….

Yes, day-one was the reminder I needed and ignored: ‘… I’m hugely fat, out of shape, obese in fact, and pursuing my own death much more likely than any damage I’ll be inflicting on the Montana elk herd in the coming days:rolleyes:?’

.....At one point I found myself doubled-over panting like Boca on a hot day, only to be rudely interrupted as I was nearing my first heart attack; by a guy whistling me to ‘get out of the way’; as he and his buddies passed me on horseback, leaving me in a dust cloud with barely a “hey” amongst the three of them?

“Well, so much for my stealthy approach up this trail?” I thought and turned to head back toward the truck.
………………………

It’s weird but as my buddy, whose over in Afghanistan, would get all goofy on me sometimes when we went hunting ‘worrying over his kids’, and I scoffed at his’ being a wimp; I find myself ‘wondering how Suzie and Boca are doing alone in that strange kennel in Bozeman’…and thinking I might like to grab them both up for some good old fashioned bird hunting on the way home?

…………..

I’ll check in tomorrow to let you know what happened (new pics coming)?

Moe:fine:

westcobbdog

Moe-you mentioned searching Ennis for work--thats where i would try to land. If memory serves they have a nice fly shop, a few hotels/motels, a couple bars and a DQ. I would take anything if I were you in Ennis. Good luck. Also, seems like there were Ted Turner ranches all over the place, a few near West Yellowstone. Tried to find work there?

MoeBirds

Awoke on time thankfully, but when I wnet outside I wasn't expecting all the snow:eek:?!
....Pretty cool in more ways than one! I rode to a spot I'd liked the day before, but didnt have much luck (saw a mule doe)

After that I headed to 'the Den' for lunch and when a lady saw me crying at my table she felt symapthy and offered to let me hunt her private ranch:clap:?!

Its a BMA, and I couldve hunted it anyway aparently, but 'by reservation only' (weeks in advance) it appears? She said I could ride out though, as "it has 200 head of elk on it."

"What:hair:?"

"well, it did anyways, till yesterday?" she said

"Oh."

"yeah it was a shooting fest out there!"

I think she meant to say 'slaughter fest', but didn't for whatever reason?

So it turned out I now had access to the right place, but at the wrong time:O?

I wnet anyway and parked next to a couple trucks, signed in, dropped the pencil, then dropped my gun reaching for pencil, then dropped half a dozen colorful expletives while picking it up and dusting the snow off the thing:banginghe?!

I stood there and wondered whether it'd held zero, then wondered whether it'd matter? With my hefty pack I struggled up the imposing mountain in front of me on a trail marked by all sorts of tracks going up and down and some draggin game it appearded? Even with the fresh powder I determined the place had seen a few guys the day before and later found out 17 elk were taken off that particular mountain?! This left 182 by my calculations so I struggled on.

I made it pretty far up before takinga half hour nap, then went a bit further....I found a big tree to sit against then settled down for a hunt. I fiddled with my game call a bit, but it was acting funny in the cold weather and figured I'd return it on way home. Its a call by a certain manufacturer whose guys pick dirty names for them otherwsie I'd tell ya which one:rolleyes:?!

Regardless, about ten minutes later I heard one just like it not 50 feet behind me and I went on red alert!!
....Was it another hunter or an elk???

Then I heard tell tale sounds of elk moving thru the brush and about went into buck fever shakes right then and there!?

This call mimics the sound of a calf elk in distress and seperated from the herd. Having had great luck with fawn bleatss on the plantation I thought it might work and it did!
Problem was the elk in question (two I think, maybe 3?) stood there ground waiting for their lost calf to come to them and when I didn't, they chirped once more and moved along.

I raised my rifle for a second figuring I had nothing to lose and saw a cows' head in the scope for a split second then woods and they were gone:banginghe?!

I tried the calf call again, but they'd either grown wwise to me being there or just weren't gonna budge? I couldn't hear them anymore as the winds picked up and was frozen unsure what to do, so stayed put. I probably shouldve moved after them, but inexperienced I didnt and never saw them again:O?

Still, very cool encounter and I'm set now on keeping my bull elk idea until later in the season because of it!

I had to leave though as I was due to pick up the girls in Bozeman at 5PM (here now) and walked back down the mountain to my truck. Once there I ran into a couple guys who'd taken a couple cows day before and had gone to retrieve them (left overnight). They suggested I return in a couple weeks after more snow and I should be able to get a nice one; given I'd now secured permission with owneer:cool:!?

And thats what I aim to do!! I think the girls and I are gonna head to Helena tonight as I'm leaning toward there for relocation and need to look at rentals instead of huntign?
Hey, look at that I'm not such a doofus afterall and am thinking more clearly about my life:D!

Well, better hit the road. I'll check in tomorrow as we'll likely bird hunt a bit, since there's lots of public lands up that way? Oh shoot there I go again, mixing myself up---No were gonna find a rental then hunt (I think)?!

Later,

G

Pineyrooter

Lots of good hunting in the Gravelly Range Moe. Down near Big Sky back in the Portal Creek area is another area I like. Never been Elk hunting in that area but those twin lakes back in are loaded with Golden Trout. Stop and spend some time in Virginia City if you havent already. Some good coffee on main street for a dime a cup.

MoeBirds

....Not sure what time it is there, but its 11:00 here and we’re settled in finally at a Motel 6 in Helena. We stayed in Bozeman last night after all, as when we were headed outa town I saw a sign that said: “Pets Welcome” and pulled in remebering I really hadn’t slept peacefully in the past few nights- and besides the Red Bulls keeping my lids open; I wasn’t exactly in the mood to drive another hour to Helena, so we crashed there instead of on the highway.:biggrin2:

The girls were happy to see me and I them, so we made quick-time of the reunion, a little smooching and some heavy petting, and settled in ; me promising them both “equal time afield?” the following day!

Minutes later, boots still on, I lost all feeling in my body….

……and awoke to the familiar feeling of a 35 pound Brittany on my chest at 7AM, wanting to 'go pee' and not taking no for an answer?!

…………………

Once on the road we went past a small town called Townsend and I spotted the Ranger station, but not quite in time, so did a U-turn -parking under the shade of a big tree (not that it mattered given 41 as the high outside)? I’d figured along the way, a whole 35 miles from Bozeman, ‘no venture up this way for a rental’; ‘…was worth passing by great bird-country without at least ‘a little run’ if possible?’

So after 20 minutes of chit chat with a Ranger, we hit a few sloughs along the Canyon Ferry Lake, but did nothin except waste precious time as the place had obviously been hit hard already; gauged by the spent shells underfoot. Pointed a few hens, but no rooster?
………………

Still, once in Helena I had one less thing to worry about (or two); as the girls were exhausted and slept within each others’ arms for most of the afternoon:love:.

I meanwhile called a dozen realtors, property managers, and other idiots who didn’t really want to talk to me; given I sounded desperate, had two dogs, and wasn’t willing to spend an awful lot on a place to stay –stealing any commissions they’d hoped to grab? I was feeling dejected, not worthy of moving off the REZ, and maybe even a bit more depressed than I should’ve; given I’d only really tried a little over an hour?

…And that’s when the Lord reached down and tapped me on the shoulder to remind me I wasn’t in control of my own destiny? Either that or he was just tickling me to see if I was awake?

Regardless, the woman on other end of the line, in fact ‘the one last pay phone call’ I’d intended to make before giving up; suggested something that made my knees go weak and actual butterflies invade my stomach:eek:?!

....Twenty minutes later, a short 25 mile drive outside of Helena, and I’ve either stumbled onto one of the best and most amazing possibilities of all time, or more likely have nothing to show for my troubles?

…In two days’ time, I will have an answer::;::;::;?

Until then I hesitate to even say the words, much less type them; as it’s just too good to be true?!....I do this all the time and it infuriates my few friends, and my family for the most part won’t even talk to me because of it?!...I ‘set my hopes high’, at the highest in fact- though I know I don’t deserve such things…and when it all inevitably comes falling down; I crash along with it and am in the dumps a lot longer than your average 41 year old man:(?!

..But if this one comes true, I’ll convert to Catholicism, ‘oh wait- I was raised Catholic?!’...I mean to say I’ll devote myself to something other than myself, I’ll finally get clean and sober (for real this time), I’ll get in shape, land a job and keep it, find a good woman, and maybe start a family who knows?

Of course if this amazing property falls thru all bets are off:mad:!

We shall see….?

Later,
G

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Moe, yours is some of the best reading as I have seen on the forums and hopefully one day you will publish them all together, they would make an excellent book.
Great stories for sure and good luck.

MoeBirds

Thanks for the nice words of encouragement guys!!

....It’d been a while since I’d travelled with dogs and I’d forgotten what a wonderful experience it was until Boca destroyed another remote, her third mind you in just over a year, and vowed to make it an even rarer occurrence from then on:mad:!

I’m puzzled by why she does it, more than concerned about a replacement.:confused: It can’t be the beating that follows that she enjoys so much, but there’s something there? Some infatuation with these things that simply turns her brain to jello and if I’m gone for a few minutes she’ll go over grab the thing off the nightstand, counter top, or TV (doesn’t matter where you put it, she’ll find it) and destroy it in a few seconds; to where it requires me getting down on my hands and knees to accumulate all the evidence so I can throw it away (down near the vending machines).

Perhaps she’s trying to turn the TV on, not impressed with our daily banter, as I sure as heck don’t watch it:huh:?
In fact in the past two nights, as a further testament to how far I’ve gotten away from civilization, it never dawned on me once to turn either of the things on (two rooms, two different motels) till of course Boca ate the remote and I wnet ahead and scanned what was on HBO out of boredom. I haven’t had TV service in what now 5 or 6 years? ‘…Wow, that’s amazing’ now that I think about it:eek:!

It’s truly mindboggling as I grew up watching every show ther was and then later in life used to sit for days, not just hours, and stare at the silly thing till I got a migraine (beer in hand usually, of course). It wasn’t exactly a choice I made based on what was being shown as much as simply not being able to afford the monthly bills in remote areas, that truned me off to TV.

Now, I don’t even miss it (no phone either, though makes finding rental tough). ...Oh I’m still up on current affairs, but this is what I gather online or in the paper, when I should’ve been working and to pass the time, otherwise I’d have been clueless Michael Jackson died, Sarah Paling did something else stupid, or some craziness about a boy in a bubble or balloon? Ah what you miss when you don’t have TV?...Apparently we now have a black president or so I’m told:eek:? JK (though did thankfully miss the entire debate).

Now I watch movies like nobody’s business; something along the lines of a few hundred a year, but these are only what I wanna watch (Net Flix), not what some programmer thinks I should. Maybe that’s what bothers Boca so much; we have different tastes and she’s adiment that one day when she’s chewing on the thing, pressing all the buttons simultaneously with her teeth, instead of the one red one that clearly says ‘power’; I’ll understand and help out instead of scolding her and blaming her for not having also been blessed with opposable thumbs:O?!
………………..

While Suzie is obviously the subordinate in this three-way relationship due to her diminutive size; Boca is at odds with me sometimes as to who the Alpha is and tested me again not an hour after the remote meal!?

The place has two beds (were still here) and it was understood, given we no longer sleep together, that I’d take one while they shared the other. But at some point during the night this all changed and while I very clearly remember falling asleep spooning the extra motel pillow, at around 2AM it moved:eek:?!

“Oh fer heaven’s sakes what are you doing over here?!”

I scolded her off the bed and tried to go back to sleep. This lasted about an hour I figure before my eyes opened to see the alarm clock and phone not two inches from my face and that I’d somehow been nudged over so far I was now teetering on falling out altogether?!

“Dang it Boca!”

“…Get off my bed:mad:!”

This morning I felt a bit groggy to say the least, my head like a cotton ball, and when I rolled over to grab a pillow to cover my ears- the idiot out front idling diesel awaking me, my face landed somewhere between the back and front legs of a very warm dog, and I said: “Ah the heck with it” and slept for another hour peacefully; the heart beat of an animal in rhythm with that of my own.

…………

I spent most of the morning on the motel phone making calls and trying to back myself up, as I have this uneasy feeling ‘my dream residence’ will likely fall thru:(? I left messages with dozens of realators and discussed just how broke I was with a dozen more; to the point I’m not so sure Helena’s gonna workout afterall?!

They’re crazy up here what they want for a rental, completely bonkers, and I think I might be onto something here as far as what’s really wrong with our economy and that is everyones just too dang greedy! Nobody up here at least 'learned anything' from the disaster and all for the most part still think you can make money without actually working?!

“That silly little house that has one bedroom and one bath on less than a 1/10th of an acre’s not worth $30,000.00, and it certainly aint worth the $180,000.00 your asking for it!” I told the stupid realator before hanging up! I wasn’t trying to buy the thing, just rent it, but her justification for charging so much “was based on its’ value” she said and that’s where the problem lies.:rolleyes:

“It’s not ever going to sell for that price or even close to it, and is of no value whatsoever empty this winter sitting next to a hundred thousand other homes for sale up here now is it?!” I told the next jerk I got on the phone with as he’d obviously gone to the same night-class as her to get his license and was so full of himself, though having not likely gained a commission in months in this economy; I felt confident in scolding him like Boca for wasting my time:banginghe!

About 10:30 I’d had enough and began getting ready to head out. “At least we’ll do some bird hunting along the way back” I told the girls, intending on leaving for the REZ. I was getting ready to take a shower when I could hear the maids’ cart rattle to a stop out front and was just about to let her have it ‘for ignoring the DND sign on the door’ if she knocked?! But Boca beat me to it and barked so loud it not only scared the poor maid, but me too and I had to laugh as you could hear the wheels begin to squeak doubletime down the walkway!

While Boca’s good at some communication, she nor Szuie has ever figured out how to answer a phone?! So while I was showering and could hear the thing ringing and tried desperately to get to it on time before it stopped, I instead tripped over Boca, landed on Suzie, then knocked the phone off the receiver where it hit the wall and went dead?!

“Hello? Hello?”…nothing.

“Oh for heaven’s sake, that could’ve been anyone of a hundred people I’d talked to just that morning and now…?”

I called the front desk, but it was a lost cause and I’ll never know who that was or why they called or whether they had a place for me there in Helena, but regardless we packed up and skedaddled!

……………………..

I had at least two possibilities to check out and cruised by both just aftera quick breakfast. Neither was doable and also as overpriced as the rest (minimum $800.00 per mo.?). I began to get really discouraged and just drove around aimlessly for the afternoon checking out what a cool town Helena was and how I was being denied entry as I was abum and they apparently don’t take kindly to bums?

I still held out hope for the place out of town, and its no longer up to me at this point, but references and credit checks, the references should come back okay- the latter…well, lets just say I hope they don’t check.

As the sun began to set I looked over my shoulder and spied two dogs staring at me in disbelief I hadn’t let them out in three hours and decided we’d get ina little run before dark. I drove back down southeast a bit toward Canyon Ferry and let them run in the tall grass while I stumbled along behind, orange on, gun loaded, and praying for at least one rooster for the effort?

But instead it became a lesson, much needed, in finally breaking both of my little angels to quit chasing the thirty some odd deer we jumped instead?! As with both having collars on, and my finger switching from one dog to the next at various levels of ‘stimulation’ to the point they likely will never do that again?!

Some decent bucks actually as I noted between the flags and though they weren’t monsters the area just looked like it might hold one or two, given its bow/primitive weapons only?

I still haven’t gotten time nor remembered to stop and get a camera to computer attachment to send more pics, but tomorrow were definitely headed home, as I’m busted on what I’d budgeted for this excursion and having not had much luck, I might as well….

We stayed another night, same motel 6, different room, different remote; hidden 7 feet off the ground. Because there’s just one more place I need to look tomorrow and maybe, just maybe, the gal will have heard whether I’m good for the mountain pad::;?

Regardless, I’ll pop in tomorrow for my final post on this chapter of my 'elk hunt', and check back in when I hit the road for another.

Moe.

MoeBirds

Were back in Bozeman (again)…

....With the exception of the one mountain property, I’m still waiting to hear about (and if it falls thru); my trip to Helena will be a complete bust!?...Kinda like my first elk hunt:(.

If by some miracle I get it however, I’ll move up next week. Were in Bozeman as I goofed off a bit longer than I should have ‘hunting’ again (when will I ever learn:rolleyes:?) and the girls and I got into some pheasant finally (one clean miss and two in the bag). So we decided to stay just one more night out ‘on the road’, to give me a chance to checkout a couple places I spotted in the paper down here too?

Hey, I’m obviously not picky about where we settle just as long as it aint on an Indian reservation again, preferably with a winter population above 50, about as many women as men, and surrounded by public lands any white man can hunt whenever he feels like it, but those are my only stipulations.
…Oh and I don’t wanna live anywhere that your life and paycheck revolves around a seasonal tourism trade, what the weather’s like, or how high or low a river flows, or whether something’s biting or not; again…I’m not picky:huh:.
…………….

By 10AM I should be about wrapped up on this little journey and be headed home, timing my arrival at a nice ranch I know about that has several giant muleys and sharptails galore just below Laurel! In fact I’ll further admit this was why we stopped here again, as I just couldn’t put the hammer down fast enough to hit it too on the way before dark, so I just truned around and were in Boze like I said?

I’ve shot out a couple pics to Clyde again and maybe he can post em when he gets a chance. Several elk country shots, a couple nutty photos of people in Montana, and a few elk, both dead and alive…as well as of course my little girls!

Well, this was just a quick post and I better hit the sack. I hope my Helena thing happens, but if not we’ll persevere I suppose and who knows maybe become Bozemanites?

Later,:cool:

Moe

ClydeWigg3

elk1.jpg

elk2.jpg

elk3.jpg

elk4.jpg

elk5.jpg

elk6.jpg

elk7.jpg

elk8.jpg

MoeBirds

....Well were finally home (-less in about 2 days:O?)
I was hoping to stall a bit, but apparently the landlord had other plans. er went with the originals whether I liked it or not and began taping up windows, tarping roof, and even hauled away my lovely homemade kennel; which pretty much now means until I do find another res off the rez, my little girls who have been driving me crazy for the past 4 days on the road, will now be driving me crazy still inside or in truck anywhere and whereever I go:banginghe?!

No news is bad news in my case and lack of an email for four days now, makes me think my dream pad west of Helena is not gouing to happen:cry:.
Its possible, just possible I may have found a place that will work just west of Bozman ona farm, but will give the guy till tomorrow to call and ask if I can begin packing?

Its a singlwide again, from 1978, has no fence, and stands isolated alone in the middle of a gigantic stinkin dairy farm , but is affordable, vacant, and about the only thing I could find after looking for 5 days:huh:

...so I jumped at the opportunity with as much spirit as I could mstuer under the circumstances 'oohing and ahhing' about the more mundane features like how nice the carpet wasn't, or that it had a dryer but no washer, and 'amazing the view was'...(which it does have I might add)..as long as you adjust your eyeline, while holding your breath, too the area due south just over the horizon obscured by 900 head of cows standing within slingshot range of the trailer itself.:(

He may "want a years' lease", but he'll likely get a month or two at best, given I just need a place off the REz and I need it right NOW!!!!!!...

Since Clyde's been great in helping me get these pics up again I'll explain a couple of them...

The first is pure elk country, only minus the elk unfortunately; at least the day I was there:(?!

The second one is an amazing cabin and one I'd have looved to find vacant and available for a good rent, but first had to navigate around the crazy thing at 60mph while attempting to take a picture of it no less?!

The next shot was where I had my close encounter of the elk kind, but couldnt capitolize on it?

Then there's Boca on point, a coupld nice elk in the back of a truck in Twonsend (just below Helena), and 'a small herd of elk' already down for winter, though in a trophy only-section accessable by draw only (also just south of Helena). I say 'small' as I was told "...if you come back to that field ina month (after season) ther'll be over two thousand:hair:?!"

..........I'll go ahead and say so, now that it doesnt look like its gonna happen that herd was less than a 1/4 mile from the killer house on the moutain I 'thought' I hada chance at but conveniently forgot I had terrible credit, no income, and appear as a bum most times, especially after I've been on the road week with two dogs hunting, and regardless of my charming personality...it appears the gal relator wasn't as dim as I'd thought and hoped she might be:confused:?!

The next shot is a dude whose hard core fer sure! Crazy of course, and not ten seconds after this shot of him he stopped abruptly, dropped his pack, cursed the gods, and lit a smoke, before struggling the pack back on and contiuing on his way through Montana, not unlike myself on my first elk hunt, minus the smokes, but the pack just a little less bulky?

Last but not least is my Suzie and that famous run and jump that cracks me and everyone esle up when she does it every chance she gets:D!?

...Well, thats it for this one guys. I'll check in when I'm settled and take you alonmg next week when we head after elk again; same place, different mind set I hope...in a new home, new job (after seasons over), and new friends,, but not fogetting I have an awful lot of them right here on Woodys Forum:cool:!!!

Later,

G