an almost shot (with lessons learned)

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
for whatever reason, i really enjoy taking pics at aquariums. i am slowly learning a little bit about what to do with my flash so maybe i can help out some others.

think of the glass like a mirror, that is the way it will act when the flash goes off.

always be aware of the angle you are shooting. if your shot is straight on, it will bounce right back at you and make your shot unusable. i like to shoot downward or upward so the flash bounces away or at an angle from the side so it bounces away.

parabolic glass is a problem that i have not been able to solve:banginghe maybe one day!!!

one thing to remember is when you shoot at angles, be aware of what the flash will light up behind you. this may sound confusing but think of it like this. you are standing next to a person in front of a mirror in a dark room. with a flashlight facing forward, you will light up yourself. with it angled, you will light up the other person.

with this configuration, the flash won't be visible in the picture, but the persons reflection will be. angie ends up in lots of my pics accidentally:banginghe

some of them i can fix, but others are not fixable. i also will try to remember to wear darker clothes so my own clothes don't end up in the shot. more than once i have seen "muzzy" in an otherwise good shot.

i am using an add on flash , an sb600 , that has a swivel head and a diffuser on it. if the subject is far away i remove the diffuser. if it is not real dark i swivel the flash up or too the side so i don't totally blow it out.

one of these days i am gonna get ron to show me how to set up my flash to fire remotely and just let angie hold it close to the glass !!! that might be the trick :bounce:

this octopus shot out of the way and i tried to track it but i ended up getting too fine of an angle and got a blowback. oh well, you can't win 'em all!!!

if yall have any more tips and tricks, post 'em up!!!

Attachments

• tennessee 091_edited-1.jpg
    tennessee 091_edited-1.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 174

DRB1313

I see what you taking about on the right side of the photo, but do you see E Mans reflection in the lower left. At least I think that's him. looks like he has his cap on backwards.

Hoss

Thanks Feral for sharing the knowledge you've gained. It should help folks out in getting photos in aquariums. You were so close on the octopus.

Hoss

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Neat one Feral

Thanks a bunch for the tips, helps a lot for getting some difficult shots:clap:

ronfritz

one of these days i am gonna get ron to show me how to set up my flash to fire remotely and just let angie hold it close to the glass !!! that might be the trick :bounce:

Cool pic nonetheless. I'm gonna remember when we go the the aquarium..dark clothes, hold camera at an angle, see how the remote flash does.

FWIW, one of the candidate activities this weekend (Saturday or Monday) is to take the Ruger to a WMA shooting range and check out a new load I am working up. I've always wanted to check out the West Point WMA and its firearms range off 216 just north of Old Whitley Rd.