Anybody else quit running trail cameras?

splatek

UAEC
I've been a trail cam addict for the past 10 seasons after purchasing my property in 2010. Kept albums of "hit list" bucks and so forth. For some odd reason, following last season and leading into Spring, I just never deployed the cameras. It feels liberating not constantly checking cameras to see what's running around with bone on their head. Feel like I'm going in to the season hunting new ground without having any "camera" knowledge of bucks using the property.

Any of you other guys ditched the camera?

Not that my camera ditch is permanent but seems to feel good this year.

This is my third season hunting: I was mentored to use cameras A LOT. And I like cameras so I know what's out there. It sort of gave me a feel for - "Hey newb you are able to find where the game are, even if you can't kill 'em" However, this year, after reflecting on my hunting journal, I realized I was tied to those cameras like flies on ...ahem... I found myself knowing that I should this ridge or that ridge, but then end up right near my camera. So, as this season rolls on, I am slowly but surely picking up my cameras; they are actually laying here right in front of me. I love getting a picture of a good buck or large bear, but I don't think their use was making me a better hunter, just a better camera deployer (word?) I know I am going to feel lost for a few weeks, not getting pictures, but I think / hope it's going to force me to hunt sign instead of cameras. The only thing I use cams for now is tresspasser detection on a small parcel of private in the foothills

I sure hope my idea, that no cams will make me a better hunter, is correct...

Bear10

I use my cameras for more than just monitoring bucks but it is awesome to get a picture of a mature buck. They help me see the fawn crop, pattern hogs, and see what other critters and predators may be using my property. They are cool to use but not a necessity for hunting as we were killing wild game before they were invented.

Mikec84

I've been a trail cam addict for the past 10 seasons after purchasing my property in 2010. Kept albums of "hit list" bucks and so forth. For some odd reason, following last season and leading into Spring, I just never deployed the cameras. It feels liberating not constantly checking cameras to see what's running around with bone on their head. Feel like I'm going in to the season hunting new ground without having any "camera" knowledge of bucks using the property.

This will be my third season not using them and liberating is the perfect word. I was addicted to them as well. Since I've stopped using them it kinda brings me back to when I was younger. The mystery of, "I wonder what's out there", often runs through my mind again. I've started reading sign more again like when I was younger. I may not know what his rack looks like. But I can tell if there's a shooter in the area and not get hung up on pictures. Sure the camera's can help. But I think they can do more harm then good if not used properly. Plus they can be a huge waist of time imo. I'm not against them. I've just gone a different direction. I'm not saying I won't ever use one again, but as of right now I have no interest in putting any out. I feel free again lol

Professor

I never have used any. I like surprises and I want to hunt where and when I believe a big buck will show up.

TJay

I never really got into it. For years I had one camera just for the novelty of having one and sometimes I'd deploy it and sometimes I wouldn't. This year I have two cameras and I can't imagine having more than that.

flintlock hunter

I only put out the cameras if I need to check out time of day, and or direction of travel for the most active times. Once I know that, I'm good.

Our Pa bow opener is this Saturday, and the spot I thought my show the best potential turned out to be 90% night travel......old guy habits die hard.

ucfireman

I've got 2 out but not looking at them like in the past. Kind of lost the flair I guess.
My issue is I get a few good pics through the summer and think I want one of them. Then they either leave or a neighbor kills them.
So this year will be just sit and see what shows up and be "surprised".
I did pan on getting a cell cam but never did. If I do get another it will be a cell cam.

Plus the older I get the less I care about the latest and greatest.

kmaxwell3

I have two running at my house where I hunt with the kids. They like checking them to see what's been coming around. I didn't put any out on the lease this year. Just got to be a hassle and got sick of seeing pics of shooters when I wasn't able to be there hunting. I can only hunt when I have time to hunt there so I figured it didn't really matter any way.

High road

Them dang camera's caused me to pass on bucks that I would have normally been happy with. I had a couple of bucks that came thru at night that were on my "hit list" that really messed things up in my mind last season. That ain't happening this year. Anyways it seems like I rarely kill a buck during the rut that we have pictures of. I think they just seem to wander thru looking for another doe and are pretty much unpredictable especially in big woods areas that look the same for miles but on the other hand I can see the advantage they give during the early bow season predictable bait pattern.

dang

DANG !!!
Them dang camera's caused me to pass on bucks that I would have normally been happy with. I had a couple of bucks that came thru at night that were on my "hit list" that really messed things up in my mind last season. That ain't happening this year. Anyways it seems like I rarely kill a buck during the rut that we have pictures of. I think they just seem to wander thru looking for another doe and are pretty much unpredictable especially in big woods areas that look the same for miles but on the other hand I can see the advantage they give during the early bow season predictable bait pattern.
Don’t blame my cameras now :rofl:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I use a couple cameras, mainly to watch our in road, one watching camp because we've had theft. A third will be put out to watch a hog trap.

ThatredneckguyJamie

Not on purpose...I love having the Covert cell cameras since the lease was so far away before, now that we lost that one and are much closer to home we put them up but have had firmware issues for the last month

Tight Lines

I am running 19 off them...all cellular. I love them. Mostly for the pics of non-deer wildlife, sunrises, sunsets, etc. I use them on feeders, plots, mineral licks, and entrances. Primarily for census, and security. They don't help or hurt my hunting, but it does keep me connected to the outdoors when I'm not there...and I think it probably gets me more excited for the hunt because I'm seeing wildlife. If I didn't have them, I think it would be easier to say, hey, nothing is moving and stay in the city...

My $0.02

Wifeshusband

Never used them, but allowed a friend to put some up a couple of years.
Like I said in another thread, it's kind of like watching your parents wrap your Christmas gifts as a kid. I'd rather be surprised.
I'm old and old school. I'd rather check rub sizes, scrapes and tracks & trails to tell me who's around and what's going on.

Al White

I use cellular and non, love it. To each their own.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Not running them is a lot less work and money that’s for sure. With that being said I have 13 cellular cameras and 8 regular cameras. They can definitely be a pain when they aren’t working correctly. I enjoy running cameras too much to quit at this point. I haven’t killed a buck I didn’t have on camera in over 10 years.