What has killed your Bucks

sleepr71

DOES! Hunt the Does & leave them alone! Hunt the wind & watch the trails + Food sources that the Does like to use. Everything else is just luck ?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Tuckster1030

Food plots near heavy cover from mid October thru the 1st week of Nov. If does are there bucks will be too. I usually kill one nice buck a year this way. Afternoon hunts only and the right wind direction. Hunt the woods in the mornings. Find transition areas, planted pines and hardwood bottoms where they connect. Always see deer in these areas. Sit all day. Don't smoke, I dip but always bring a small Gatorade bottle to spit in. Climb high.

Last edited:

buckpasser

My best bucks have been killed in cover that a human could never spot them in from the ground. I get really (really) high on climbers and lock ons. Usually in a closed canopy bedding area early, and a more open canopy or cutover when it’s cold. I see lots of great bucks that never offer a shot using this approach, but enough of them do to make it worth it for me. I basically never hunt food plots or bait, always bedding or trails to/from.

Unlike some of you I actually have more success hunting less but only on perfect conditions. After guiding newbies and kids I’ve come to realize that there are so many intricacies that go into this thing that true woodsman don’t even realize they’re doing them, much less remember to list them here! Haha

Deerhunter12454

My best bucks have been killed in cover that a human could never spot them in from the ground. I get really (really) high on climbers and lock ons. Usually in a closed canopy bedding area early, and a more open canopy or cutover when it’s cold. I see lots of great bucks that never offer a shot using this approach, but enough of them do to make it worth it for me. I basically never hunt food plots or bait, always bedding or trails to/from.

Unlike some of you I actually have more success hunting less but only on perfect conditions. After guiding newbies and kids I’ve come to realize that there are so many intricacies that go into this thing that true woodsman don’t even realize they’re doing them, much less remember to list them here! Haha
“true woodsman”

buckpasser

“true woodsman”

I’m not referring to me, just the intangible differences in the haves and the have nots of hunting. Here’s a few things that I have taken for granted until I’m forced to guide or help someone for work who more times than not is a have not.

1. Slamming the truck door
2. Using a full volume voice all the times
3. Using alcohol heavily pre, during and post hunt
4. Making a poor shot or missing
5. Not knowing where the animal was at the time of the shot and no idea where it went
6. Not knowing exactly what the animal was
7. Having zero idea of how to blood trail (sometimes immediately going to the 500 yard flash light circle method while heavily abusing infraction #2)
8. Being scared of the dark and entering the stand late or leaving too early
9. Having no plan or idea of what to do with miraculously killed animal
10. Possessing an excessive confidence as the supreme hunter of North America while committing the above nine infractions (often times this condition is aided by owning gear that is 23x more expensive than is necessary)

So as not to derail, this list may be used as a converse to what was asked!

Deerhunter12454

I’m not referring to me, just the intangible differences in the haves and the have nots of hunting. Here’s a few things that I have taken for granted until I’m forced to guide or help someone for work who more times than not is a have not.

5. Not knowing where the animal was at the time of the shot and no idea where it went
7. Having zero idea of how to blood trail (sometimes immediately going to the 500 yard flash light circle method while heavily abusing infraction #2)
10. Possessing an excessive confidence as the supreme hunter of North America while committing the above nine infractions (often times this condition is aided by owning gear that is 23x more expensive than is necessary)

I’d have to agree with it all.

Blackston

Having “guided” a few of these fellas myself , you forgot waiving the muzzle of his $$$ rifle all over

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor

????

Rich M

If you hunt an area with low pressure you only need a couple stands to paly the wind.

Yes, the first couple of sits is best but if you placed your stand right and it is the rut, you'll see plenty of deer.

It is more about the hunting area than the specific stand.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Browning A Bolt 30-06 with 180 grains. Nikon scope.
About half by being in the right place at the right time. Other fifty, called them in with the antlers.

Attachments

• ten rattled.jpg
    ten rattled.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 11
  • AL5 .jpg
    AL5 .jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 10

slow motion

Don't think I would disagree with anything posted so far. I do typically see more bucks pre-rut but the bigger ones seem to show at different times for me. I like to hunt transition areas but also those few mast producing trees they like best. On the property I hunt currently there is one white oak they all come to from late archery through early November. Not sure what makes it better it just is. Gotta hunt the wind as well.

Nimrod71

Buckpasser, like you I have guided hunters before and I totally agree with you. I have seen all you listed and then some. I have had several hunters that couldn't hunt for their cell phones, they were so busy playing games or talking on their phones I saw two nice bucks walk by a hunter. It would have been and easy shot for him but he was busy on the phone. I have also heard phones ringing and game tunes playing while hunting. I carry my phone but it is turned off. Good post.