What has killed your Bucks

Ace1313

Hi everyone!

Been awhile since I have posted anything and I wanted to start a topic that will help all the new hunters and guys who get into a rut during the season. Simple put What helped you kill the Bucks you have killed!

I will start.

The Pre-Rut! No, not the Rut the Pre-Rut the 7-10 window before peak breeding has killed a lot of my best bucks. I have typically had great success with grunt calls sounding like a very frustrated buck ready for that first doe or one that is irritated by some other buck in his area. I can honestly say that I have had great success blind calling during this time. Several of the factors that helps is I like to hunt terrain features and ecotones more the better! My best spot has four different ecotones (crop field, 10 year old pines, 4 year old pines, and 20+ year old pine plantation), the terrain features that make this spot even better is a fence row that filters the deer into a ditch. This spot is a dynamite calling location. I have called in and shot 3 mature 4.5 year old or older deer from this spot.

The Post-Rut! The 7-10 days after primary breeding. Once, again I have found that mature bucks get back on their feet searching for those last few available does. Calling can be deadly during this time frame as well, just remember not to over call.

Stand Access and Wind Direction

Having a clean way to access my stands via trail that is mowed with cover or taking my weedeater down them. Cuts down on scent left in the area and allows me quiet and easy access. I also take the time to clean my trails of sticks, pine cones and such to make it quieter. I like to leave cover along my trails so I have places to pause while walking in to break up my outline and shape. ATV, UTV, trucks or golf carts are awesome, but I typically walk 300-500 yards to my stands. I leave the vehicle at my parking area and hoof it in. I live in farm country and deer are used to equipment and such, but they know the difference when the truck is on the field or in the woods.

You must play the wind! Unfortunately in my part of the state we seem to get a lot of N, NE winds, my best stand mentioned above on works with a S, W or SW wind. I will not sit this stand if I don't have that wind. Don't be afraid to climb down from the stand if the wind switches, don't blow a great spot just because you are stubborn. I believe in having some type of wind checker with me. Don't rely just on your weather app. Thermals, terrain and vegetation play a huge role of how the wind is working at your hunting land.

Speed Scouting

Don't be afraid of walking a little more to see if the deer sign has changed in the area you hunt! Pay attention to fresh tracks sometimes they will tell you how the deer are hunting you! I try to find deer, where there are tracks they will lead you to food or beds. These tracks will also tell you that there may be a tree down over the trail you are hunting and there deer being generally lazy may have started walking a different route that might be out of sight of your stand. Don't rely on the trail cam to tell you what is on your land. Deer tend to roam and also pattern people around cameras and feed stations. Look for sign, rubs, scrapes and tracks.

Good Luck to everyone this season and feel free to add on

Deerhunter12454

Hunting the wind is how I consistently get on deer. Doesn’t matter what your scent control measures are, they’ll smell you regardless. But I’ll smoke clothes to kill the carbon on my clothes and skin, and to use it as a cover scent.

Last week of October is by far my best week for killing bucks. Hunting around known doe locations and travel corridors in between bedding and food during the pre rut is my favorite way to hunt.

I WILL NOT shoot does on my private leases.

One of the main things I do is bounce around spots. I very rarely hunt the same spot for more than 2-3 hunts but never in a row.

and tbh, I’d have to say luck. Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
White oak acorns and travel funnels, and the luck to be in the right place at the right time, mostly. Rattling antlers on one last year.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Hi everyone!

Been awhile since I have posted anything and I wanted to start a topic that will help all the new hunters and guys who get into a rut during the season. Simple put What helped you kill the Bucks you have killed!

I will start.

The Pre-Rut! No, not the Rut the Pre-Rut the 7-10 window before peak breeding has killed a lot of my best bucks. I have typically had great success with grunt calls sounding like a very frustrated buck ready for that first doe or one that is irritated by some other buck in his area. I can honestly say that I have had great success blind calling during this time. Several of the factors that helps is I like to hunt terrain features and ecotones more the better! My best spot has four different ecotones (crop field, 10 year old pines, 4 year old pines, and 20+ year old pine plantation), the terrain features that make this spot even better is a fence row that filters the deer into a ditch. This spot is a dynamite calling location. I have called in and shot 3 mature 4.5 year old or older deer from this spot.

The Post-Rut! The 7-10 days after primary breeding. Once, again I have found that mature bucks get back on their feet searching for those last few available does. Calling can be deadly during this time frame as well, just remember not to over call.

Stand Access and Wind Direction

Having a clean way to access my stands via trail that is mowed with cover or taking my weedeater down them. Cuts down on scent left in the area and allows me quiet and easy access. I also take the time to clean my trails of sticks, pine cones and such to make it quieter. I like to leave cover along my trails so I have places to pause while walking in to break up my outline and shape. ATV, UTV, trucks or golf carts are awesome, but I typically walk 300-500 yards to my stands. I leave the vehicle at my parking area and hoof it in. I live in farm country and deer are used to equipment and such, but they know the difference when the truck is on the field or in the woods.

You must play the wind! Unfortunately in my part of the state we seem to get a lot of N, NE winds, my best stand mentioned above on works with a S, W or SW wind. I will not sit this stand if I don't have that wind. Don't be afraid to climb down from the stand if the wind switches, don't blow a great spot just because you are stubborn. I believe in having some type of wind checker with me. Don't rely just on your weather app. Thermals, terrain and vegetation play a huge role of how the wind is working at your hunting land.

Speed Scouting

Don't be afraid of walking a little more to see if the deer sign has changed in the area you hunt! Pay attention to fresh tracks sometimes they will tell you how the deer are hunting you! I try to find deer, where there are tracks they will lead you to food or beds. These tracks will also tell you that there may be a tree down over the trail you are hunting and there deer being generally lazy may have started walking a different route that might be out of sight of your stand. Don't rely on the trail cam to tell you what is on your land. Deer tend to roam and also pattern people around cameras and feed stations. Look for sign, rubs, scrapes and tracks.

Good Luck to everyone this season and feel free to add on

Good info and great to see you posting Ace

HermanMerman

I had permission on a piece of property that had the best travel funnel I have ever come across. In ten years, six solid bucks were killed there, two were missed and two or three others slipped by without a shot. It was an area where big deer lived but the funnel itself provided 1-2 opportunities at good bucks every fall. As long as you put the time in, you would have a chance.

Dupree

Quality Stand time kills deer. Whether it be early season, the rut, or late season, the more time you spend in the stand, where deer are actively using, the better your chances.
My favorite time to hunt is the pre rut, during a cold front. That’s when bucks are laying down the most sign, and covering the most ground. IMO (which ain’t worth much)

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Being in the woods every chance I get. Regardless of weather. You can’t kill them at the house. I hunt a lot. I go when the weather is miserable and when it’s perfect. The weather is an excuse a man uses when he really just doesn’t want to get out of the bed or the recliner. Being there is how I do it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Quality Stand time kills deer. Whether it be early season, the rut, or late season, the more time you spend in the stand, where deer are actively using, the better your chances.
My favorite time to hunt is the pre rut, during a cold front. That’s when bucks are laying down the most sign, and covering the most ground. IMO (which ain’t worth much)
I would qualify that by saying that the more time you spend in the SAME stand, the less chance of killing that buck you have. They pattern us just like we pattern them.