What has killed your Bucks

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Last week of October and around Thanksgiving have been the best for me in Middle GA. I mostly hunt OTG in thick cover near bedding areas. Risky way to hunt but when a good one comes in it's a total rush.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I sit in the woods and get on GON. Then y’all y’all me to grunt rattle horns and shake.
Been doing pretty good last few years.
Thanks.

Blackston

Luck and seat time

Big7

The Oracle
I like to take longer shots. That puts distance between me and him (or her)

In the woods after the first rut using cover and scent. My 3 favorites are Wildlife Research Doe Estrus, Code Blue Tarsnal Gland (with the swab for shoes and boots only, that stuff is nasty) And Headhunter Humus.

Try to be very still and quiet.
Use a Gatorade bottle to pee so I don't have to move much and get down.

Been out of commission due to surgery. I plan on being back in the game, all out this season and many more.

Hope y'all do good and get what you go after. ?

Big7

The Oracle
And in addition to what I already posted I am a FIRM BELIEVER in the Primos Can bleep. I use the regular (original) the most and the small one next. Haven't tried the largest one yet.

They REALLY work. forrealforreal :wink:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
And in addition to what I already posted I am a FIRM BELIEVER in the Primos Can bleep. I use the regular (original) the most and the small one next. Haven't tried the largest one yet.

They REALLY work. forrealforreal :wink:
My oldest grandson over used one all the time and killed big bucks when he was 9 & 10 yo.

James12

Finding and learning a big buck’s ways, they act differently….. and of course being patient and letting him become a big buck.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Being in the woods every chance I get. Regardless of weather. You can’t kill them at the house. I hunt a lot. I go when the weather is miserable and when it’s perfect. The weather is an excuse a man uses when he really just doesn’t want to get out of the bed or the recliner. Being there is how I do it.
I’ve been doing ^that^ since I was a kid. Same rules apply on a boat.

And after years of being outside you just know where to find game and fish.

flatsmaster

Lot of good info …. For me obviously you need big buck genetics and habitat and a place they can rest with zero pressure ( we have 3 sanctuaries we never go in ) access to stands I find paramount trying to get a beast in front of you at 30 … how can u get in and out of there world without him knowing… basically it’s not gonna happen but the more you can make it happen the luckier you’ll be !!! Every year when we tweak stand locations it’s with that in mind !!!

Nimrod71

First thing is a place to hunt that has a hunting population of deer. I know of hunters that spend their whole season and not see or get a shot on a deer because there are few deer on the property.

Just about everything above is on target, a few things are off. I shoot rifles year round from 22 to 45-70. My current rifle of choice is a Howa 308. I target prictice with this rifle on a monthly basis and let me tell you it is on target. I reload my ammo an use Sierra 150 Pro Hunter bullets.

I use a Tom Cat or Gun Slinger climbing stand. Stands are most important and where they are located. I like climbers because they are easy to move. Over my 58 years of deer hunting I have learned you need to be mobile. Last year I moved my stand 3 times before I killed a deer. I saw deer at the first and second location but they were does and young bucks. Time is important in my area due to the high number of excellent hunters in the woods.

I do not use bait or hunt over food plots or fields, I hunt the woods, branches and swamps. I look for trails, rubs and scraps. A well used deer trail is easy to spot. I place my stand within sight of scraps when possible.

I get as high up in the tree as I can get. You need to get above the deer's field of sight, also it aids with scent control.

I get on my stand between 6:30 and 7 a.m. and stay up until 11. Most times I kill the deer between 9 and 10:30.

Killing deer is not technical it just takes time and being in the right place and the ability to be still and putting the bullet in the right place.

baddave

paying attention while on a deer sit near known quality deer habitat . I may have Add if I'm reading or listening to someone but when I'm hunting my mind seldom wanders . be ready at all times .

Realtree Ga

Trailcams. Surprised I haven't seen more post on these. Knowing the deer inventory from pictures and what buck I truly want to go after. And more importantly knowing where he spends most of his time and hunting those stands.