Black Coyotes

MCBUCK

I have killed two as of et , and have several friends who have killed a couple also.
The term is "melanisim" and it basically means that they have a pigment defect in their grnrctic makeup. The occurence was once thought to be about 1 to 600 . But with coyote growth I would put that number ( depending on your area) at probably closer to 1 to 100. They are quite common but my findings from my kills and those of my friends ( we are up to about 8 now) most of the melanistic yotes we have seen have been relatively small --25lbs or so....some smaller. A HUGE yote will be anly about 45 lbs at best.
A biologist would tell you the more correct color would be "Sable".

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Probably coy dogs. Where I am we have a lot of wild HCBD (Harris County Black Dogs) running around and people call them "yotes" but they are just stray black dogs. Humane Society is full of them. But there are definitely some black "yotes" just not as common

Last edited:

Ace1313

I killed a black one with a white patch across its chest this fall in Taliaferro County I have also seen one in Hancock county as well.

jp328

I was hunting in Northern Florida this year. I was sitting on a trail and just shot a nice black sow. About 20 minutes later I see something black coming onto the trail. I pick up my gun, it stepped out and it was a black coyote. It was about 125yrds away. I shot and missed. It crossed the trail 3 more times and I missed it all 3. It only had a white patch on its chest and the very end of the tail was a silver color.

But later that night, I had another coyote cross the trail and it was almost a pure white. It was beautiful. I couldnt even shoot because I just kept looking at it.

Dudley Do-Wrong

My brother traps and tells me that a regular coyote pelt brings only about $5 whereas a black yote pelt brings $35 to $40.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
My brother traps and tells me that a regular coyote pelt brings only about $5 whereas a black yote pelt brings $35 to $40.

SO that is why all those black labs are missing...::ke:

jbird1

There are black ones in Oglethorpe Cty...I'm sure they are just about everywhere yotes are

MariettaDawg

Two years ago, bow hunting, I spotted a black coyote in Hancock county. A year later, in Jefferson county I shot one in a cotton field.

These are the only two I've ever seen and only one friend has seen another.

Any idea how common they are?

Seems like there was one on TV here in Atlanta this week that was trapped in the metro area.

stumpshooter

Had one sneak up on me about 2yrs ago in AR, while I was turkey hunting with a buddy. I had two gobblers calling across a creek while my buddy was set up behind me callin'em in. We had a single hen set up in an opening in front of us. I heard something to my left and behind me a looked to be confronted eye to eye with a black yote with yellow eyes. I though about taking him but was more worried with the two toms across the creek so I didn't make much noise but moved my right arm and he bolted. He was probably ten feet away. The tom's were hung up so I moved across the creek and my buddy followed. He called'em in as I was stuck out in the open with hardly any back drop at all. They came in after what seemed like eternity and took the biggest with 8" and 1 1/2. His dad ended up shotting the black yote about a week later. What a day!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We have seen one on several occassions in Troup Co.

willbuck

black yote.

I shot this one in Franklin County in December 07 while deer hunting.

Coyote2007.jpg

deerslayer42

I got one in Greene County this past November. Shot another one there about 10 years ago. Saw a big red one this year also. First time for one that color and it was purty.

deepstep

Banned
I shot a black one about 5 years ago and had it mounted. Thought I had something cool and rare only to find out its a dang dog. Anything other than "sable" color is a Coy or has some percentage of domestic dog in it.

MCBUCK

Man.if you Google "Black Coyotes"...there is a lot of stuff on em there....."Coy-dogs" seem to be a bit if a mystery though.

jmac88

Black coyote

Saw one two nights ago at about 5:50 pm for my first time here in my town of Milton GA. Threw me for a loop, took a shot at it from about 50yrds with my compound and missed him...been beatin my self up about it since. would have loved to get ahold of him....saw no deer that night but seeing something new is always fun....since then i have been seriously considering hunting them here in milton ga (north fulton), it is somewhat a suburban area, i would love some tips on how to get started....help?