Can DEER REALLY CRAWL!!

NOYDB

BANNED
Not only crawl, but you've walked by more deer than you realize. They will hunker down behind a log or under a blow down and you can pass within a few feet and they won't move. Their "camo" is some of the best around.

BassWorm

A friend of mine killed an old buck once that the hide was worn off the elbows where it had crawled so much. We had to crawl into the thickest stuff imaginable to recover him.
I videotaped a buck at Redtop also that was lying behind a log. Only his horns and eyeballs were showing as he was watching me and thinking he was hidden.

littlewolf

yep

I saw two bedded bucks crawl out of a field of tall grass once. They knew something was up but couldn't figure out what. I didn't know they did that til then.

jaeger

Yep! I have seen it with my own eyes. I was on the stand a few years back and saw this buck come up to the edge of the field - all of the sudden he just disappeared. I kept glassing the field and thought I saw him several times in a couple of different places in the high grass. After about 15 minutes, he came into view up right next to a doe about 100 yards from where I first saw him. Strange thing, he was still kinda on his knees. Finally, the doe nuzzled him and he got up and they trotted off together.

I was pretty amazed at the event and climbed down to investigate. I walked over to the field edge where I first saw the buck and you will never guess what I found??? Six empty Miller cans and a half smoked Montecristo cigar!!!

Now I have a theory on this. I suspect the buck had a bit too much to drink and just could not seem to get back on his feet. After crawling across the field, where he encounter the Mrs, I suspect he begged for forgiveness, found his way back to his feet, and made up with the Mrs. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So I would say yes - deer do crawl - depending on how much they have had to drink!!!!!!;) ;) :)

gabowman

I've actually seen it. I shot a pretty nice buck once when it came out of the woods into young pines. The deer was directly in front of me and somewhere aroudn 50 yards straight across. I was young and didnt see a need to wait to see which direction he was headed so I shot him aiming right behind the shoulder with him broadside. The deer rared straignt up and when his front feet hit the ground he started straight towards me (he never knew where I was)croaching as low to the ground as he could, I'm assuming he was trying to hide in those 3' or so pines as he crossed the strip of planted pines. I put him down for good right under me with him still croaching in the little pines. Only time I've ever seen it.

270win

Yep, I shot a doe on Wednesday morning that ran full speed into the nastiest briar thicket you ever saw. To trail her I had to get on my hands and knees to get through the tunnels in the junk. She had to be crawling the entire time... and with a blown out shoulder...

Tiger Rag

I've seen them flatten out and crawl under a fence like rat. Have seen some pretty good bucks twist their heads so that their antlers wouldn't catch.

First time I saw it, I didn't believe it either. Deer was running full speed toward a barbed wire fence and I thought for sure he would go over. Ran up and scooted under without missing a beat. Obviously he had done it before.

I have seen this scenario many times back in the days when we could sweep a light legally in NC.

Hawkeye

I have seen bucks in West Florida where they were been chased with dogs, when they had to cross a road and they knew hunters were waiting, they got down to their bellies and crawl accross a road, I have a video of one doing that, I'll see if I can put it on the net so you can see it.

In the Florida everglades, swamp deer lay in water and only their nostrils stick out, this I have seen myself.

These critters will adapt to all situations.

Catfish369

I've seen a line of 5 does, one at a time, crawl under the bottom strand of a barbed-wire fence instead of jumping over it.

I also once saw a nice buck belly-crawl under that same stretch of fence. I was waiting on him to walk out the length of fence to where it ended but he went under it and dissappeared into the thick stuff on the other side. Later, I went and looked at where he had crawled under. I'd seen several such depressions along that fence line but thought wild hogs had been doing it. Now I know.

T.P.

Banned
I had one come by this morning that looked like a centipede. Took him 30 minutes to crawl 50 yards, then it got to the edge of the cutover and just stood up and walked in.

rvick

Watched a buck and doe that were running toward a firebreak. The doe just ran across. The buck stopped at the break, looked both ways and dropped and crawled across. When he got across the break he was back up and running. Seen them go thru or under barbed wire strands. Knew of one fence crossing where the bucks would go thru a small hole in the fence at five feet instead of going over it six inches higher.

Last edited:

j_seph

I was hunting Saturday and seen something move. Got the binos up and couldn't make it out. The more I watched I noticed it was a deers butt. What got me next was the butt was getting closer and closer instead of farther away. This area is very thick and overgrown with privet. As it got to the edge where I was at I was in such amazement I couldn't even think to get gun up and shoot. This buck was so wide and had at least 10 points, was walking backwards so he could get his rack through the privet. No lie, wish I hadn't dropped my cell phone where I could have videoed it. Now I know how they go through the thick stuff so easy.

rydert

Blue Heeler man
Yep! I have seen it with my own eyes. I was on the stand a few years back and saw this buck come up to the edge of the field - all of the sudden he just disappeared. I kept glassing the field and thought I saw him several times in a couple of different places in the high grass. After about 15 minutes, he came into view up right next to a doe about 100 yards from where I first saw him. Strange thing, he was still kinda on his knees. Finally, the doe nuzzled him and he got up and they trotted off together.

I was pretty amazed at the event and climbed down to investigate. I walked over to the field edge where I first saw the buck and you will never guess what I found??? Six empty Miller cans and a half smoked Montecristo cigar!!!

Now I have a theory on this. I suspect the buck had a bit too much to drink and just could not seem to get back on his feet. After crawling across the field, where he encounter the Mrs, I suspect he begged for forgiveness, found his way back to his feet, and made up with the Mrs. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So I would say yes - deer do crawl - depending on how much they have had to drink!!!!!!;) ;) :)

I was hunting Saturday and seen something move. Got the binos up and couldn't make it out. The more I watched I noticed it was a deers butt. What got me next was the butt was getting closer and closer instead of farther away. This area is very thick and overgrown with privet. As it got to the edge where I was at I was in such amazement I couldn't even think to get gun up and shoot. This buck was so wide and had at least 10 points, was walking backwards so he could get his rack through the privet. No lie, wish I hadn't dropped my cell phone where I could have videoed it. Now I know how they go through the thick stuff so easy.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

deer crawling.....:bounce::bounce:

mudracing101

A friend and i drove up on a small 8 pt. buck bedded in some gallberry bushes. We stopped and looked at him, when he turned and belly crawled a way like "you dont see me". We sat there in amazement as all you could see was some of his points everynow and then and the bushes moving as he slowly moved away. He eventually crawled so far we couldnt see him any more. I turned and looked at my buddy and told him "I hope you got a good look, cause we'll never see him again. Him being that smart." Never did either. The bushes were real thick but wasnt much taller than knee high.

gtgeorge

My searches on ytube and found nothing I would call crawling. Most were titled crawling deer but were more like crouching deer to me. I too would like to see a video of a "crawling deer as I have never seen one actually crawl but have crawled into thickets where deer sign was all over and less than 2' tall passages.