Can DEER REALLY CRAWL!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

KLBTJTALLY1

I shot at a buck and hit him a little back and he went to the ground. Got all excited thinking I got him and next thing you know he started crawling away. Took another shot while he was crawling and swore I had him. Saw him get up and run and never found him. I assume he crawled out of necessity but I'm not sure if it was a escape tactic or because he was injured.

Another time I was dog hunting with a friend and saw 2 bucks about 300 yards out. As soon as they saw us they went down and we never saw them again. We knew they crawled to the closest thicket because the brush was only two feet high.

ryanh487

I've seen enough deer tunnels that weren't much more than knee high through the kudzu on our club to believe they crawl on a regular basis.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
9 years later and I still say they dont crawl unless you shoot their legs off.

bulldawgborn

When I was a boy, my cousin made an off hand shot on a running buck. Took us a while to find first blood...I actually found it just by being an inquisitive 8 year old (one tiny drop on a leaf in a scrape I found). My dad--part bloodhound--got on the trail and we tracked for close to a mile winding through the woods. At one pointed we were on our hands and knees going through a <2' tall privet tunnel. I had to ask my dad if he was sure we were going the right way because there was a fresh deer track going the other way. He assured me we were, and when we found the buck we found out why the track was going the other way. My cousin's shot hit him in the ham and his leg was twisted completely around.

I've never SEEN a deer crawl, but that one had to just to be able to get through that privet. I've seen deer hair on the bottom strand of a barb wire cow fence that I could almost jump over myself. They are definitely adaptable critters, and I guess they will always do what they gotta do to survive.

shakey gizzard

I watched a nice 9pt run wide open towards a barb wire fence. Instead of jumping, he hit his belly and crawled/slid under the bottom wire. At precisely the right moment he rolled his head back to keep his antlers from touching the wire!:eek: He looked like he mighta done it once or twice before!