Changes proposed for hunting seasons

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Don’t know the last time I killed a buck with that Ol rifle. Or how many I’ve killed with it. Been 30 ty years or so.
I do know I shot this little buck this year with it. I was happy I broke it back out and put a scope on it. Brought back many memories!View attachment 1205061
I good gracious look at that smile

buckpasser

Well, after reading the last few pages, when I invite folks from the forum to hunt my place in 'Bama, I know who won't get an invite.

I didn’t know that much was on the line. In contrast to my negativity here on the forum, let me audition a little.

I can blood trial good. I’m a strong dragger (of my kills or yours). I don’t drink and I can get up early, stay up late and turn deer carcasses into sausage, steak, hamburger, euro mounts and possibly even shoulder mounts at your request. I can play guitar and sing some on request. I’m a decent cook and I’ll pay for yours if we go out to eat. I wash dishes at camp and tell good jokes. Some are not PC. I have reliable transportation and can be trusted to shoot or not shoot any deer or type of deer you request on your property. I always show up with a sighted in rifle and rarely cripple or miss. I hope that helps. Please don’t cut me from the list.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Nice shot , almost hit it in the head where u was aiming :rofl:Steak looks delicious
I have read head shots are bad. It was looking away and was close. Just below the head to get a smal neck roast also. I do not recommend this shot to anyone at any distance. A man has got to know his limitations. Only shells I could find where 170 grain core Lott and 30.op plus dollars a box. I can’t afford to miss. The buck was high shoulder like shot. My wife when she skint them said I did a great job of missing the big meat parts.

basshappy

BANNED
I’ve killed more legal public land bucks in the 1st 35 years of my life than you’ll ever see in the next 35 years of yours. But hey.. you newbies sure know it all. How many deer have you actually killed? 1?

You talk like you’ve hunted your whole life. And have years of experience. And no. Hunting shows don’t count.

And if you hire a “Guide” do you go with experience or the guy that watches fishing shows?

Yeah I didn't get into hunting until last year. Definitely missed out on it growing up. No one in my family hunted. I sure wished they did. Would have loved to huntes in the 80s. Neighbor was a bow hunter and his basement shown some beautiful bucks. Before last year I spent 3 years studying whitetail deer in the field specifically to learn their behavior so that when I was ready to hunt I was best equipped. It worked out well as I harvested a nice buck up in the North GA mountains last season as I wanted to - off hand iron sighted .41magnum Ruger Redhawk revolver up close and personal. I felt the hard work in studying deer paid off then. Even better was learning how to cape it and quarter it, take it home and debone it and make our cuts. Throughout 2022 leading up to deer season again time spent on the ground and in the trees on two tracts observing deer, learning, and working on skills required to harvest them. Paid off as I harvested 4 deer this season. All 4 deer came from up in the mountains. One buck I was particularly proud of as this tract is small (20 acres or so) and almost no flat land, just ridges and folds one to the next with elevation changes 50-150 feet. Playing the wind and thermal updraft paid off as I was able to shoot across from one ridge to another and secure a healthy deer for our family's freezer. Hauling that buck up that ridge was an exercise for sure. None of the 4 deer harvested moved far from where they were shot. Spine shot dropped instantly where it stood. Boiler room shots ran 5-20 yards give or take. Many more deer were passed on that were easy ethical shots. My boy who is 10 was beside me for 2 of the 4 deer. He learned how to process in the field on the ground and how to hoist using a gambrel to process. He and I are already back at it preparing for the 2023 season - controlled burning, shooting practice, and always searching for those indicators. We have our goals for the 2023 season so we'll see later this year how it pans out.

Regarding the guide bit - I don't know if I'd hire a guide for a hunt. The process of learning and applying is a huge draw, and the satisfaction of hard work paying off is too great to "simply" pay someone else who has done that to take us to point and shoot. If I had to go with a guide ... I'd go with the guide who we got along with and saw eye to eye with.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Yeah I didn't get into hunting until last year. Definitely missed out on it growing up. No one in my family hunted. I sure wished they did. Would have loved to huntes in the 80s. Neighbor was a bow hunter and his basement shown some beautiful bucks. Before last year I spent 3 years studying whitetail deer in the field specifically to learn their behavior so that when I was ready to hunt I was best equipped. It worked out well as I harvested a nice buck up in the North GA mountains last season as I wanted to - off hand iron sighted .41magnum Ruger Redhawk revolver up close and personal. I felt the hard work in studying deer paid off then. Even better was learning how to cape it and quarter it, take it home and debone it and make our cuts. Throughout 2022 leading up to deer season again time spent on the ground and in the trees on two tracts observing deer, learning, and working on skills required to harvest them. Paid off as I harvested 4 deer this season. All 4 deer came from up in the mountains. One buck I was particularly proud of as this tract is small (20 acres or so) and almost no flat land, just ridges and folds one to the next with elevation changes 50-150 feet. Playing the wind and thermal updraft paid off as I was able to shoot across from one ridge to another and secure a healthy deer for our family's freezer. Hauling that buck up that ridge was an exercise for sure. None of the 4 deer harvested moved far from where they were shot. Spine shot dropped instantly where it stood. Boiler room shots ran 5-20 yards give or take. Many more deer were passed on that were easy ethical shots. My boy who is 10 was beside me for 2 of the 4 deer. He learned how to process in the field on the ground and how to hoist using a gambrel to process. He and I are already back at it preparing for the 2023 season - controlled burning, shooting practice, and always searching for those indicators. We have our goals for the 2023 season so we'll see later this year how it pans out.

Regarding the guide bit - I don't know if I'd hire a guide for a hunt. The process of learning and applying is a huge draw, and the satisfaction of hard work paying off is too great to "simply" pay someone else who has done that to take us to point and shoot. If I had to go with a guide ... I'd go with the guide who we got along with and saw eye to eye with.
But you have no problem taking a guide for fishing?

The best part of this way of life, is you get to experience it and show your son how YOU like to do things. While I get to do the same with my son and not have you push your agenda outside of your spot. If you want to hunt with no food plots, no feeders, no mineral sites and use a rock to kill them, do so, have at it. You said you spine shot one, I prefer backstraps so I don't do that. You just have to stop your way of doing things where your land ends or you play by .GOV rules on their land.

And I've been studying deer my whole life. I see & watch them just about every single day and that's not even checking my cameras. You still have a lot to learn.

Keep that boy of yours in the woods.

But you have no problem taking a guide for fishing?

The best part of this way of life, is you get to experience it and show your son how YOU like to do things. While I get to do the same with my son and not have you push your agenda outside of your spot. If you want to hunt with no food plots, no feeders, no mineral sites and use a rock to kill them, do so, have at it. You said you spine shot one, I prefer backstraps so I don't do that. You just have to stop your way of doing things where your land ends or you play by .GOV rules on their land.

And I've been studying deer my whole life. I see & watch them just about every single day and that's not even checking my cameras. You still have a lot to learn.

Keep that boy of yours in the woods.
He would get a lot more knowledge from this forum if he wasn’t so close minded and come off like he knows it all… no way possible he has the skills to head shoot deer and just started hunting last year.. you can learn a lot on this site reading studying listening talking etc. it no way compares to years of experience of doing hunting and woodsmenship. Like others here it’s not hunting to us it’s a way of life something we all grew up doing and that has been passed on for many generations before us.. you don’t gain the respect of your fellow outdoorsman buy being a desk jockey know it all

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Did this thread get legs or what?

basshappy

BANNED
He would get a lot more knowledge from this forum if he wasn’t so close minded and come off like he knows it all… no way possible he has the skills to head shoot deer and just started hunting last year.. you can learn a lot on this site reading studying listening talking etc. it no way compares to years of experience of doing hunting and woodsmenship. Like others here it’s not hunting to us it’s a way of life something we all grew up doing and that has been passed on for many generations before us.. you don’t gain the respect of your fellow outdoorsman buy being a desk jockey know it all

Close minded ... presuming someone can't put a projectile in a deer's ear canal at 20 yards in their first season hunting is close minded to say the least.

And I did it my way - wheel gun, off-hand, iron sights. I passed on a doe earlier that weekend because I wanted my first deer to be a buck. In fact the night before one of my mates at camp said "I know you want to get a buck with a revolver but man it is so hard to get that close. Try tomorrow but next season bring a rifle, too, and go revolver first day and if you don't harvest take your rifle the second day." I had been watching this 8 pointer that weekend. I had identified his scent trail earlier. I didn't know if I'd get my shot that last morning, but at 5 AM I was up and 5:20 AM crinkling through the frosted leaf litter in 27° temperature. I posted up where I thought I had my best shot at him around 6 AM and sat and waited, and waited, and waited, and watched as twilight dawn came and gave way to sunrise. I watchrd a grey squirrel pop down from his nest and root around for acorns. And then I heard the che che, che che, che che telltale sounds of a deer walking. Sure as I was cold it was that buck. Big adrenalin rush. I waited. And watched. And waited as he paused and sniffed the cold air. That buck looked at that squirrel sitting there eating an acorn and then it continued walking. As it quartered slightly away I had my shot and he dropped where he stood. No movement then. I stood and waited a good 10 minutes. Nothing doing so I went to him and said my prayer. Beautiful deer.

I'd wager my mate who owns the land and has hunted it all of his life wouldn't have allowed me to hunt it as I did if he didn't know me well enough to know his trust in me was well placed. He had 100% confidence in my marksmanship from our years of friendship and hanging out together. He also knows my ethics, values, and attitude. No way was I going to do anything to break his trust in me. He knew the rounds I sent through that wheel gun - shooting standing, kneeling, prone, right and left handed, at both stationary and moving targets through the years. He knew the years I spent studying whitetail in the field and at home before I asked him if he would be OK if I hunted up on his mountain land. I couldn't be close minded if I had spent 3 years learning and practicing before I actually hunted. The learning rabbit hole went deep and it was awesome learning. Applying what I learned between seasons sure paid off this year.

You can learn a lot more today than 30 years ago for sure, good and bad, thanks to digital information. But there is no substitute for hands-on experience. My challenges to myself this year were to 1) understand the wind much better and play it, 2) take different body shots to see first hand how the deer reacted to them, 3) and to do all of this with my boy who was unable to hunt with me my first go around last year. The greatest challenge was the wind / odor / scent. We could sit still and make no sound. We could sit motionless and make no movement. But we could not be odor free so we had to adapt to minimize our odor, apply cover scents, and play the winds. Sometimes we did well. Harvested 4 deer this season compared to 1 last season. Sometimes we did poorly and were blown by a deer. In fact this one **** of a spike who my boy let walk returned the favor a week later by blowing us 17 times!!! 17. He blew, ran, stopped, blew some more, then blew as he ran. We just looked at each other and laughed. What a schmuck!!! 17 blows we counted.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Close minded ... presuming someone can't put a projectile in a deer's ear canal at 20 yards in their first season hunting is close minded to say the least.

And I did it my way - wheel gun, off-hand, iron sights. I passed on a doe earlier that weekend because I wanted my first deer to be a buck. In fact the night before one of my mates at camp said "I know you want to get a buck with a revolver but man it is so hard to get that close. Try tomorrow but next season bring a rifle, too, and go revolver first day and if you don't harvest take your rifle the second day." I had been watching this 8 pointer that weekend. I had identified his scent trail earlier. I didn't know if I'd get my shot that last morning, but at 5 AM I was up and 5:20 AM crinkling through the frosted leaf litter in 27° temperature. I posted up where I thought I had my best shot at him around 6 AM and sat and waited, and waited, and waited, and watched as twilight dawn came and gave way to sunrise. I watchrd a grey squirrel pop down from his nest and root around for acorns. And then I heard the che che, che che, che che telltale sounds of a deer walking. Sure as I was cold it was that buck. Big adrenalin rush. I waited. And watched. And waited as he paused and sniffed the cold air. That buck looked at that squirrel sitting there eating an acorn and then it continued walking. As it quartered slightly away I had my shot and he dropped where he stood. No movement then. I stood and waited a good 10 minutes. Nothing doing so I went to him and said my prayer. Beautiful deer.

I'd wager my mate who owns the land and has hunted it all of his life wouldn't have allowed me to hunt it as I did if he didn't know me well enough to know his trust in me was well placed. He had 100% confidence in my marksmanship from our years of friendship and hanging out together. He also knows my ethics, values, and attitude. No way was I going to do anything to break his trust in me. He knew the rounds I sent through that wheel gun - shooting standing, kneeling, prone, right and left handed, at both stationary and moving targets through the years. He knew the years I spent studying whitetail in the field and at home before I asked him if he would be OK if I hunted up on his mountain land. I couldn't be close minded if I had spent 3 years learning and practicing before I actually hunted. The learning rabbit hole went deep and it was awesome learning. Applying what I learned between seasons sure paid off this year.

You can learn a lot more today than 30 years ago for sure, good and bad, thanks to digital information. But there is no substitute for hands-on experience. My challenges to myself this year were to 1) understand the wind much better and play it, 2) take different body shots to see first hand how the deer reacted to them, 3) and to do all of this with my boy who was unable to hunt with me my first go around last year. The greatest challenge was the wind / odor / scent. We could sit still and make no sound. We could sit motionless and make no movement. But we could not be odor free so we had to adapt to minimize our odor, apply cover scents, and play the winds. Sometimes we did well. Harvested 4 deer this season compared to 1 last season. Sometimes we did poorly and were blown by a deer. In fact this one **** of a spike who my boy let walk returned the favor a week later by blowing us 17 times!!! 17. He blew, ran, stopped, blew some more, then blew as he ran. We just looked at each other and laughed. What a schmuck!!! 17 blows we counted.
Want to see my son, turn to page 60 in this months GON and look for Wilkes County. But he shot it on a Powerline, with food plots, a feeder and multiple mineral stations so it probably doesn't count.. But hey, he's only 14 and was hunting by himself...
323317510_895709801451661_9205198713966318793_n.jpg

He shot this one the year before but it was with a cross bow.. So it probably doesn't count either.. But he was only 13...
248549259_4418419831583005_4108958485599295089_n.jpg

He shot this 8 when he was 11.. But it can't count either cause food plots, feeders and minerals were around.

75474115_2513114535446887_2288589455570763776_n.jpg

His 1st buck at age 8... I guess this one we can count cause it was in hardwoods.. ;)

14908346_1131062070318814_2633736985177376363_n.jpg

I'm real glad folks like YOU don't dictate how I raise my son and how we hunt and manage our land.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Head shooting deer is a guaranteed one-time invitation to hunt my place, along with some choice words being said to the shooter.

And if I know before, there will not even be a invitation.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Want to see my son, turn to page 60 in this months GON and look for Wilkes County. But he shot it on a Powerline, with food plots, a feeder and multiple mineral stations so it probably doesn't count.. But hey, he's only 14 and was hunting by himself...
323317510_895709801451661_9205198713966318793_n.jpg

He shot this one the year before but it was with a cross bow.. So it probably doesn't count either.. But he was only 13...
248549259_4418419831583005_4108958485599295089_n.jpg

He shot this 8 when he was 11.. But it can't count either cause food plots, feeders and minerals were around.

75474115_2513114535446887_2288589455570763776_n.jpg

I'm real glad folks like YOU don't dictate how I raise my son and how we hunt and manage our land.
Congrats to your son on the bucks, especially that last one!