Composite decking joist spacing

hipster dufus

Looking at replacing my 5/4 pt deck boards. 16 in on center spacing of joists. Do the composite boards have issues with sagging on that spacing? Do they have tongue n groove to help with this? TIA

bany

No, you’ll be fine.

tr21

We've had TREX with 16 in spacing thats been on our deck for over 25 years. you'll be fine no T & G needed.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Agreed, mines on 16 inch spacing and hasn’t sagged, cupped or warped at all. I also used joist tape to hopefully make the framing last as long as the composite decking.

HortDawg

I have Trex, whatever the nail less version. It maybe called Trex Next? I’ve had it about 5yrs +\-. It’s on 16” 2x12’s no sagging it’s firm the underside of it is actually corrugated. The only thing I had to do was put blocking at the joints more so for the clips. I will say I blocked in the outer bans to picture frame it and that was well worth the trouble of doing it. It also was well worth the nail/screw less version with the groove, just don’t be shocked that the clips/ fasteners are not cheap.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Agreed, mines on 16 inch spacing and hasn’t sagged, cupped or warped at all. I also used joist tape to hopefully make the framing last as long as the composite decking.
Very important to use the joist tape.