Coyote must die in Tucker

I saw one in downtown Buford twice last year. He got two of my neighbors cats and I was afraid he might get one of my dogs. I have a jack russell, a dachtsund (sp?), a cocker mix, and a shepherd mix that stay in a fence. I kept the .22 loaded by the door for about a week and everytime the dogs barked I got up and peeked out. I didn't even need a spotlight because of the big street light right out front. I heard two 12 gauge shots up the street about midnight one night and no one has seen a coyote in the area since. I guess someone else got him first.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Neighbor spotted coyote in our neighborhood walking down the street at 6:45 in the morning on June 28th. No one but me believed him. I called animal control, and was told there were no coyotes in our area. Two weeks to the day I accidentally left my cat out on our front porch. Next morning she was missing. I knew a coyote got her, but everyone else thought that was ridiculous. I researched coyote behavior (thank God for the internet) and found out have patterns and routes they follow, and would often went back to where they had a successful hunt. Two weeks to the day after my cat went missing, I sat in front of my den window with all the lights out, and lifted my blinds just enough to see out. A street light illuminates my street and yard. At 12:45am a coyote appears from out of nowhere in the left hand corner of my yard. My neighbor’s house was dark except for a TV flickering in one window. It walked diagonally across my yard. About half way it stopped to look when the neighbors TV flickered. I guess it felt there was no danger, so he came up on my porch (about 3 ft from me) and began sniffing around. He stopped once more when the TV flicker again, then for a split second it looked at me. I don’t believe it saw me, because it kept sniffing. When it didn’t find what it was looking for it turned and quickly trotted away exactly the way it came. I knew it had taken my cat, and was back to shop for more.

I was so mad. If I would have had a proper gun, even though I live within the city limits I would have shot through the window just to get it. All I had was a little 25 pistol. I figured the bullet would just bounce off it’s chest. None of my hunting family members live close by. I don’t want this thing trapped. I want it dead. If anyone out there has ideas, please help! Some of the neighbor’s suggestions are a hoot, y’all would die laughing.

Thanks to all the coyote hunters on this forum. Keep up the good work.
April
Tucker, GA

HD,

Sorry to hear about your cat.

They are everywhere. This one tried to eat my wife's little dog but luckily I saw it in time.....Your 25 will eliminate a Coyote....I shot this one in the eye with a .22 on my driveway.

DSC_0026-2.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

Hunter's Daughter

My husband heard on the radio yesterday that Stone Mountain Park *had* a pair of swans at the lake (Romeo and Juliet) A yote attacked and killed Juliet. Geez, and just when I thought I couldn’t despise them more.:banginghe

trkyhntr70

Remember, you are talking to Gov't employees! Many just want to hear the time clock click over at 5 pm.
There are LOTS of coyotes around. Those who say no are just very unaware [nicer than saying IGNORANT]. I have hunted yotes around west Cobb for a while. They are all around and yes, keep your small pets inside at nite. My first yote sighted here in W. Cobb was trotting down my driveway [paved in a subdivision] at about midnite. I've seen dozens, shot 2 in the back yard,,wished I'd shot more but if you don't have a rifle/bow/sharp stick IN HAND,,they are gone before you can arm.

Here is how I bait my yotes: Buy the cheapest can of 'fish' [any flavor is ok] food. MIX it with the same amount [like making canned soup] of HOT water. Pour it out at the bait sight. Refresh the sight every couple days. Scent will draw and keep the yotes visiting on a regular basis. A trail camera is nice to have and find out WHEN they are checking the spot. The 'soup' bait is strong scented, but not whole enough for the yotes to grab and run. They have to 'work' to find the tidbits in the grass/soil.
Another 'trick'. I hunted a nearby farm for a friend [we became friends after I agreed to hunt his coyotes for him -had permission to hunt deer if they showed up too!]. His cats were disappearing and he knew the yotes that were seen in his back pasture were the varmints eating them.
I dug a hole about 18 yards from a selected tree where I put a stand in. Dig the hole with POST HOLE DIGGERS. Put a 'soupy bait' [cat food] in the hole - about 1 foot deep. The coyote will be very hard to hit with an arrow, however, he has to put his head INTO the hole to get the bait. THAT'S when you draw your bow.:bounce:
I had a clover patch about 25 yards away, nice to know I had the possibility of a deer OR a yote showing up!
Here's the hole/bait site. { oops, my picture server is not 'up'}.

There are yotes all of suburbia,anywhere thers some woodlots I believe they are there, They adapt easily. Back in 97' I used to work in Sandy Springs, Ga 400 Exit 5.
I seen a big one crossin 400 at 4a.m. Yes it was a yote no dog.:shoot: Good luck!

7Mag Hunter

I would try to bait an area in your yard which would allow
a clear and safe shot at the yote.....A place which will not
be close to any neighbors house...

Put bait out at night and watch when he comes in and try
to pattern him....He came back to the area where he got
your kitty, so just give him food an a spot where he will
feel comfy, and then use 22 to the head....1 or 2 nights
should do it if he does not feel threatened....Remove
"bait" in the Am if he does not take it right away, so the
neighbor dogs or cats get it....Just use meat scraps,,,

Prolly good to tell your neighbors what you are doing
ahead of time , so when they hear the shot they will
not be alarmed....

Good luck....Let us know when you get the critter....:smash::smash:

coyote must die..

have you thought about trapping it or somehow poisoning it with something .. hope you have good luck .. yotes can be pests:whip:

P

potsticker

Ok last thought ,call trapper John, he is in the yellow pages, or call animal control, the sponges work but may kill a local dog!

firebreather

thats what i would do roof+17cal+spotlite=dead yote

ROLLEN THUNDER

as food supply becomes less they will move on to another area that has more pets for them to kill. So go buy a 22 cal pellet rifel that you can pump up and killem.

Hunter's Daughter

12mcrebel, Trapping is next on my list. I'm sick I didn't have my pistol with me when I saw him on my porch. After that, I tried bating him they way Alan in GA suggested, then as Firebreaker suggested, we had 3 people waiting for him (2 on the roof with .22's and me with a spotlight) but he was a no show. We tried again using the baiting method someone else suggested, digging a hole with post hole diggers about 12 inches deep and putting food in so he would have to stick his head all the way in get to it, but he was a no show then as well...dang it!

Woodswalker, We do have some large dogs in our neighborhood, but I don't know if they are a breed that could kill a yote. The folks here are better about letting smaller animals out a little while during the day, or keeping them in all together.

Potsticker, If I'm not able to trap him myself, I'll give Trapper John a call. I'm hoping professional trappers aren't too outrageously expensive!

Tommy, I think you're right, since the neighborhood has become "yote aware" everyone has become really careful with trash and pets, so he/they may have moved on to another area, but I'm still trying to bait him in.

Thanks for the responses y'all!
April

60Grit

I'm just curious here, is it legal to discharge a firearm in DeKalb County??

mbhawkins123

if your still interested Animal control only does dogs and cats, they dont handle any wild animals.....i run A+ Wildlife Control in Dalton, and know several wildlife control around Atlanta, but the best no doubt in that area is Atlanta Wildlife Solutions, LLC..

hes in Cumming, ga ...his website is www.atlwildlifesolutions.com

PGVET

Banned
Just out of curiosity, wouldn't it be better to bust him with say a No1 Buck in 20 guage rather than a 22 bullet which can travel much further in a neighborhood? I could kick myself in the butt. I missed one yesterday while deer hunting. I haven't ever seen more than 20 yotes, but this was by far the biggest i had ever seen. I fired a shot at him, & missed. I then proceeded to fire 2 more shots with him running about 55 across the pasture. I immediately called the house to have my pack of dogs turned loose. They run the crap out of him, but never caught him. I like the idea of poisoning them, & you will just have to make your neighbors aware so they keep their pets at home for a few days. I would say a little arsenic & a couple cans of sardines should do the trick.
Whatever you do, when baiting them, do not let ANY Human scent get on the bait. They will not touch it, if they smell human scent on it. I am going to start calling them up at night around our place, because I know we have an abundance of them. I think I will use my 1100 with some 00 3 inch Buckshot. That should kill them or wound enough either way, then I will turn my pack loose on them. I guess I better update their rabies shots though first. Just thought of that.

jbi1104

Put a baby bottle nipple on your .22 and fire at will. It restricts the sound enough to not draw any attention. I have shot many pests in city limits without incidence. This was when I lived inside Lawrenceville city limits and they are very restrictive.

bobman

Coyotes eat cats, I'm pretty sure I lost my 18 year old cat a couple weeks ago to one, the reality is the coyote is just doing what comes naturally so hating it is not going to help you with your loss, just let it go.

Even if you killed one the chance of it being the same one is slim and there are tons of them in tucker and everywhere else in this state.

The truth is pet cats should be kept in the house, both you and I learned this the hard way.

I was mad and saddened at first but after reflecting on it I realized hating any animal for doing what it does naturally made no sense.

I want to stress I am not against shooting coyotes and not for it either, just believe its friutless.

pcsolutions1

I guess it really depends on the lot sizes to tell how much risk with using a .22 to take care of it. In my neighborhood it would be no problem. I'd whack him out for sure. The neighbors already said they wouldn't hear anything and who else is going to hear a .22 and think anything of it. I used to get rid of pests in our old neighborhood with a .22 for years in Tucker/Norcross and nobody every said a word about it.

Tom