Coyotes

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Ok, so whats your "27 years of proof" consist of?

A substantial rise in the population of our wild quail, wild turkeys, as good or better population of the deer herd anywhere in the state of Georgia, both in quality and quantity. A reduction in the armadillo numbers. Even our fox squirrels have multiplied. And no predator control has been done. I`ve seen for myself that a healthy ecosystem consists of both predator and prey.

I and a few other folks, don`t consider the "coyote" that we have here an invasive. We believe that we are seeing a return of the nearly extinct red wolf that was here up until about 100 years ago. Whether it is or not, it is filling a niche as a predator to offset the return of the deer population. People worry so much about them wiping out the deer and everything else, but that`s not how Nature works. I see folks literally foaming at the mouth with their hatred of these critters. I`ll never understand that. Sure, their numbers should be controlled, just like anything else. But to want to wipe them off the face of the earth, no, that is wrong. Just as wrong s it would be to kill off any of our other critters. That`s not how Nature works, and it`s our job to fit into it.

Before you accuse me of anti-trapping or anti-hunting, don`t. I`m a proponent of both. My proof is observing these lands around where I live for all these years and seeing for myself. Not just on the weekends, but nearly every day, especially for the last 10 years.

Save your hatred for the true invasives. Hogs, foreign snakes, lizards, fish, invertebrates, trees, plants, and who knows what else.

Sautee Ridgerunner

Nicodemus, Im strongly of the belief that our drastically higher hunter and car numbers up here multiply the coyote population. Everyone in an orange vest thinks they are helping by popping every coyote they see but basically every study ever showed that random killing of coyotes only increases their numbers.

If we couldnt get rid of them by dropping literally hundreds of millions of poison baits across the west, Im not sure what people expect from their deer gun.

Anyone truly interested in the subject should read the book “coyote america” by dan flores

buckpasser

A substantial rise in the population of our wild quail, wild turkeys, as good or better population of the deer herd anywhere in the state of Georgia, both in quality and quantity. A reduction in the armadillo numbers. Even our fox squirrels have multiplied. And no predator control has been done. I`ve seen for myself that a healthy ecosystem consists of both predator and prey.

I and a few other folks, don`t consider the "coyote" that we have here an invasive. We believe that we are seeing a return of the nearly extinct red wolf that was here up until about 100 years ago. Whether it is or not, it is filling a niche as a predator to offset the return of the deer population. People worry so much about them wiping out the deer and everything else, but that`s not how Nature works. I see folks literally foaming at the mouth with their hatred of these critters. I`ll never understand that. Sure, their numbers should be controlled, just like anything else. But to want to wipe them off the face of the earth, no, that is wrong. Just as wrong s it would be to kill off any of our other critters. That`s not how Nature works, and it`s our job to fit into it.

Before you accuse me of anti-trapping or anti-hunting, don`t. I`m a proponent of both. My proof is observing these lands around where I live for all these years and seeing for myself. Not just on the weekends, but nearly every day, especially for the last 10 years.

Nic, let me throw this into the equation. I have formed an opinion based on a theory of why the deer herd in your area is soooo much stronger than just a few counties south where I’m at.

I firmly believe that where you are there is a much more preserved and defined “rut” than down here. Here there is already a minuscule amount of breeding taking place and there will be a pile of it right on through January. Not in noticeable periods either. Just nonstop chasing and locking down. Fast forward 200 days and you have a fawn “dump”. A month later, your surviving fawns are safe from attack. Down here there is a fawn “trickle”. The coyotes have a several month long fawn buffet. We have basically the same ag, the same rx fire, same woods, the same browse, but you consistently have big deer numbers and we constantly have poor fawn recruitment. I’ve scratched my head for years, and that’s the best I can figure.

Here, I believe coyote removal timed appropriately can be a great management tool.

Triple C

Anybody want to hear a great podcast on coyote research click on the link below. Unless you're willing to trap year round, it may change your view of the presence of yotes on the landscape. It was an interview with Dr. Michael Chamberlain, who has conducted one of the most extensive coyote research studies to date. The GA DNR helped fund the study along with SC and TN if my memory serves me correctly. Pretty sure @CKillmaster is familiar with this study and references it from time to tome.

http://georgiaafield.com/episode30/

buckpasser

Anybody want to hear a great podcast on coyote research click on the link below. Unless you're willing to trap year round, it may change your view of the presence of yotes on the landscape. It was an interview with Dr. Michael Chamberlain, who has conducted one of the most extensive coyote research studies to date. The GA DNR helped fund the study along with SC and TN if my memory serves me correctly. Pretty sure @CKillmaster is familiar with this study and references it from time to tome.

Thank you for that Sir. I’ll try to catch that one next time I get some tractor time. I’ve heard him reference some coyote studies but never heard it specifically discussed.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic, let me throw this into the equation. I have formed an opinion based on a theory of why the deer herd in your area is soooo much stronger than just a few counties south where I’m at.

I firmly believe that where you are there is a much more preserved and defined “rut” than down here. Here there is already a minuscule amount of breeding taking place and there will be a pile of it right on through January. Not in noticeable periods either. Just nonstop chasing and locking down. Fast forward 200 days and you have a fawn “dump”. A month later, your surviving fawns are safe from attack. Down here there is a fawn “trickle”. The coyotes have a several month long fawn buffet. We have basically the same ag, the same rx fire, same woods, the same browse, but you consistently have big deer numbers and we constantly have poor fawn recruitment. I’ve scratched my head for years, and that’s the best I can figure.

Here, I believe coyote removal timed appropriately can be a great management tool.

We did up till a couple of years ago, but that seems to have changed in recent years. It`s like our rut starts around the second weekend of November and it goes crazy at any given time all the way into December. And when I say crazy, it really is. The woods literally explode with chases.

In south ga that is true because of all the uncared for yard dogs and dumpster mutts. Up here, our coyote numbers are truly astounding.

It’s not uncommon for trappers up here to kill 30 or more per 1000 acres in the winter. In the bear woods in the NE, I average seeing one every four hunts.

I was in a club near statesboro for years and never saw a single one while hunting. Never seen one where I hunted over near Cairo either.

My buddy in Madison cty averages killing about 30 per year on 2000 acres.

Killed 3 one evening in Jenkins County. Killed 2 with a bow one year in Screven Co. Killed one Saturday. I see several ever year down here. Many years back I walked up on a den filled with coyote pups.

We have coyotes down here.

buckpasser

That was a very enjoyable and informative listen today while I drilled my last two plots. Thanks!

280 Man

Banned

Coyotes are not native to my area and when introduced into your ecosystem it is trouble if the species is not controlled. One doesn't have to look any farther than the Everglades and how the Pythons have impacted that area, not to mention cane toads and cuban tree frogs and the feral pig which is decimating vast parts of the deep south and southeast.

Im not advocating that coyotes should be annihilated to extinction. I understand that coyotes are here to stay but I also will stand and dogmatically say that I despise coyotes with not an ounce of compunction whatsoever and will continue to try and keep numbers as low as possible on my lands.

I was born and raised where I hunt and up until the coyote got a toe hold in my area turkeys were abundant and fawns were plentiful. Then it changed! I had people telling me that they were seeing coyotes more and more, neighbors cats missing, even saw one with a cat in it's mouth and finally I got pictures of the fawn killing.

I started an intensive trapping effort several years ago and I have seen the "fruit" of my coyote trapping efforts over the past few years with higher fawn and turkey poult recruitment on, in and around my area regardless of what any "study" has said.

I know we don't see things eye to eye and maybe just agree to disagree on this but it's great that we can talk about it.

280 Man

Banned
280, what county do you hunt and when/ what year roughly did they get a toehold where you are at?

I live in the foothills of SC. We've had yotes for a number of years with the occasional sighting here and there but it started to get more pronounced roughly 10 years ago up to where I was getting pics on a regular basis.

There's a guy I go to church with that lives about 10 miles from me and he has a terrible problem with coyotes. He wants me to trap his land. Steel will go in the ground late January.

RipperIII

we have a 1200 acre timber lease in S.E. Butts co.
we've got yotes, Hawgs, bobcats, fox, deer and turkey a plenty.

the hawgs arrived 3 years ago and have darn near taken over...and since their arrival, we are seeing less yotes

Theturtle

BANNED
In my few years hunting here I’ve only seen a few while hunting but they sure make a bunch of noise at night and will make a deer carcass go quick

RipperIII

I've never been confronted by coyotes, but I have been circled and yapped at in the pitch dark in a 100 acre field, and had one or two tail me to my stand on morning...I could hear their foot steps in the dry leaves...I carry a pistol for such encounters should I need to take action

Dbender

I generally give them a pass. They prob kill more pigs than any other predator. Def kill a bunch of rats and some coons. I've posted pics here before of coyotes and deer eating out of the same bait pile.
They aren't the deer killing, people stalking, deadly threat most on here make them out to be. A grown coyote is one of the "spookiest" animals in the woods. If they weren't vocal, most hunters would never know they were around.