Coyotes

Rebel 3

My 14 year old, almost 15, had a scary encounter this morning. I walked him in the dark to where a road forks and a blind is set up for him 75 yards away. He has hunted it dozens of times. Killed several deer and coyotes from it. I got a few hundred yards away and he texts me that he is scared and coyotes were growling at him. I told him I was on the way and he won’t respond back to my texts. It’s still dark. I get to him and he had got in the blind and had it lit up like a lamp. He said when he was walking he saw them moving in front of him. He did not have a light on. He said they started growling and he lit them up. He said they were within 10 yards and one immediately ran off and the other kept coming at him growling while he shined a light in its face. It turned and left before getting all the way too him. On a good note he is seeing plenty of deer.

buckpasser

I had one get confrontational with me while turkey scouting years ago. It circled me barking and howling, obviously not showing the usual fear of man.

I’d love to see the ones your son encountered bouncing around in a foothold trap awaiting your .22 bullet.

chrislibby88

Did he not shoot to them because it may mess up his hunt? Glad he’s okay
I shot some opening weekend. There were a few does 50 yards behind me in my cousins food plot when I shot the first one, the does seems unphased by the shot and hung around until the second yote bumped them on his way to my shooting lane. Smelling those yotes disturbed the deer WAY more than the gunshot.

Rebel 3

He said they looked just like coyotes, and we see them about 1 out of every 5 hunts. We usually don’t shoot them until after the rut. He came around a 90 degree turn and was right on top of them. His gun was on his back with a sling and he had to get his phone out of his pocket to turn on the light. It sounds more like something a pack of dogs would do. Either way they need to be shot if they are growling at him. If he had shot 20 minutes before light I would have been terrified something bad happened. I had one come out and stare at me me for over 30 seconds when I was setting up a different blind recently on the same property. I saw 6 at once last year, and saw a regular and black one twice this week.

NickDeer

He said they looked just like coyotes, and we see them about 1 out of every 5 hunts. We usually don’t shoot them until after the rut. He came around a 90 degree turn and was right on top of them. His gun was on his back with a sling and he had to get his phone out of his pocket to turn on the light. It sounds more like something a pack of dogs would do. Either way they need to be shot if they are growling at him. If he had shot 20 minutes before light I would have been terrified something bad happened. I had one come out and stare at me me for over 30 seconds when I was setting up a different blind recently on the same property. I saw 6 at once last year, and saw a regular and black one twice this week.
Yall need to get them things thinned out ?

Sautee Ridgerunner

In south ga that is true because of all the uncared for yard dogs and dumpster mutts. Up here, our coyote numbers are truly astounding.

It’s not uncommon for trappers up here to kill 30 or more per 1000 acres in the winter. In the bear woods in the NE, I average seeing one every four hunts.

I was in a club near statesboro for years and never saw a single one while hunting. Never seen one where I hunted over near Cairo either.

My buddy in Madison cty averages killing about 30 per year on 2000 acres.

buckpasser

In south ga that is true because of all the uncared for yard dogs and dumpster mutts. Up here, our coyote numbers are truly astounding.

It’s not uncommon for trappers up here to kill 30 or more per 1000 acres in the winter. In the bear woods in the NE, I average seeing one every four hunts.

I was in a club near statesboro for years and never saw a single one while hunting. Never seen one where I hunted over near Cairo either.

That is truly amazing to me. I’m just beginning to really study them but I’ve found that there are only a total of around 8 on 2000 acres at any given time on the plantation I manage. There is a family group of four that I caught some of this summer (caught Daddy, aunt, and 2 pups), a black and red pair that travels and a brown pair that travels. I can go for days and weeks without seeing tracks or scat on the dirt roads and field edges.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

Not here in plantation country. There are no uncared for dogs nor dumpsters for them to scavenge in. Without bending the rules of the forum, let`s just say that the way these places are run, critters of that nature are extinct or soon to be. ;)

280 Man

Banned
That is truly amazing to me. I’m just beginning to really study them but I’ve found that there are only a total of around 8 on 2000 acres at any given time on the plantation I manage. There is a family group of four that I caught some of this summer (caught Daddy, aunt, and 2 pups), a black and red pair that travels and a brown pair that travels. I can go for days and weeks without seeing tracks or scat on the dirt roads and field edges.

That's 8 too many imo.. LOL

Latest posts