custom hunting ammo

Major Wader

Any local recommendations for custom load development?

I would like for someone to develop a custom hunting load for one of my rifles. It shoots well with factory ammo, but I know it could be better.

Any recommendations? Prefer someone within driving distance of Canton, GA (3-6 hours).

Major Wader

small groups, 1" or less.

Should be able to get this one to 1/2" or less.

I have friends who have done this for me before, but one is covered up, and the other lives in Texas.

tree cutter 08

I can tell you from experience that it can take a lot of work to get that last 1/2 inch out. I've learned to settle with 1 inch groups for deer rifles. I wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't take 3 or 400 dollars worth of powder and bullets to find the magic load. Not to mention the time. I use to get rid of guns if they wouldn't shoot half moa or less. Now my favorite load in my deer rifle won't break 1 1/4 inch but I've learned to realize that's plenty enough accuracy.

furtaker

I can tell you from experience that it can take a lot of work to get that last 1/2 inch out. I've learned to settle with 1 inch groups for deer rifles. I wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't take 3 or 400 dollars worth of powder and bullets to find the magic load. Not to mention the time. I use to get rid of guns if they wouldn't shoot half moa or less. Now my favorite load in my deer rifle won't break 1 1/4 inch but I've learned to realize that's plenty enough accuracy.
I agree. I won't keep a hunting rifle if it won't give me some consistent groups around an inch. But in reality a rifle doesn't need to be nearly that accurate for most deer hunting in Georgia. I've been deer hunting avidly since I was 11 years old and I think I've killed 2 deer that were over 200 yards away.

Reloading can be fun but it can also be tedious and time consuming to work up a good load. I don't always go to the trouble of loading for a rifle if I can find a good factory load that shoots well. Reloading is pretty much a necessity with a cartridge like the 280AI though.