Did you buy a gun today #3

Dub

No… but these Dawson Precision Wilson Combat EMP fell off the big brown thang

View attachment 1292513

Brown Truck Santa comes through once again. :cheers:

Dawson Precision is rock solid on everything they make and/or endorse. I have had great results with the WC ETM mags in .45, 9mm, 10mm and .38 Super. I have only one picky eater .38 Super that prefers Chip McCormicks & Virgil Tripp's Cobras....something with the feed lip and follower angles. I think that particular gun was tuned for those mags prior to reaching my hands.
Outside of that, I've found WC ETM to be great performers in every gun I've used 'em in.

If you wear out a base pad & follower or simply want to refresh the springs....WC has you covered with the parts.

Two brands that I've never owned.
Bergara B14R LH 22lr Vortex Venom 5x25x56 FFP EGW pic rail Vortex Pro rings

Tikka T3X Superlite LH 6.5CM Arken LH-4 4x16x44 FFP Warne Maxima rings

Heck yes !!!

You are gonna be bigtime happy with that Bergara & Vortex atop it.

My B14R .22 is wearing an Arken LH4 6-24x50mm, FFP / MIL in their rings. Zero complaints. Works great.

Superfun rifle.

One thing I found out with it is to not baby the action. Work that bolt like you are mad at it.....muscle it. Slap it up and snatch it back. It responds best to the forceful treatment when clearing the chamber....and smooth & easy on the load stroke.

Maybe it's just my gun. :huh:

I really, really like the HMR stock it came in. It seems identical to my 6.5 HMR stock other than being gray vs tan. When the day comes that I shoot out the barrel on my 6.5 HMR I plan on re-barreling the action and reusing the stock.

Really solid feeling, adjustable and comfortable.

Congrats on what is going to be a superfun stick for ya.

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to spend time on a rimfire until I added my B14r.

It is also nice to have on range days as an alternate gun to shoot while the centerfire barrels cool down.....and /or new shooters arrive and take up the benches beside you.
I try to get there early and set up on one end so other shooters will hopefully spread out as they arrive.
Reason being is I'm often shooting target rifles with brakes. I'd prefer not to blow the hat off adjacent shooters when they show up so I'll work with the B14R for a while.....being all polite and civil...and biding my time until I unleash the Kraken once again....6.5NeedsMoor with obnoxious brake and let my man bun mullet unfurl in the breeze. It ain't purty.....but it's how I roll....sometimes.
:biggestshoot:

Dub

Didn't buy a gun....but did get some gun stuff in.

Fed Ex & Brown showing up like synchronized delivery ops yesterday.

Too tired to fool with it today....but I'l get the installs done tomorrow morning on my Tikka T3X TAC A1 .308. It comes from Tikka with a flat rail. I wanted a bit more elevation to better mate up with my Ruger RPR .308 that came with a 20 MOA rail. Didn't want my son or I found griping about who's stick had unfair advantage over the other.
I'm wanting to have these two 20" set up really similar...take away the excuses, he's already got young fella eyes but I gots me some old man patience and perhaps a smidge more respect for downrange wind :bounce:

Anyway....EGW to the rescue. Their 20MOA was out of stock. Figured 30MOA would be fine on this .308 with the XTRII glass (XTRII on both RPR & TAC A1....finding them for half price on Midway & EuroOptic...both FFP & MIL).

IMG_2874.jpeg

Gonna install a YoDave trigger spring in the TAC A1 after adjusting the factory 2-stage poundage down some. Want to get it to it's lightest low setting that is safe and impervious from slam fires and heavy-handed paws slapping it into battery.
Adjusting the RPR trigger was a cakewalk. Nothing to it. The little trigger safety tab takes up like a two stage leading to a firm yet light wall. Breaks clean & crisp, no creep. Very light. I'm confident the TAC A1 can be adjusted on par with the RPR.

Both of them have super smooth actions. I was shocked with the RPR, actually. I'd heard how "rough" they supposedly were. Evidently the folks at Ruger made some mid-generation changes to the bolt. Zero complaints from me. As smooth as the Tikka....and that is saying something. Tikkas be smoove...

Both rifles will be getting the grips replaced with MDT grips, identical other than the color. Ninja-black for the RPR and Sandbox-brown for the Tikka.

IMG_2905.jpeg

IMG_2906.jpeg

IMG_2904.jpeg

The other thing that showed up was some 6.5 NeedsMoor tips from PV with free shipping using code "Gun Talk" (had to enter it a couple times).
Barnes shows the G1 BC as .703. :rockon:

IMG_2908.jpeg

IMG_2907.jpeg

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
:cheers:

Dawson Precision is rock solid on everything they make and/or endorse. I have had great results with the WC ETM mags in .45, 9mm, 10mm and .38 Super. I have only one picky eater .38 Super that prefers Chip McCormicks & Virgil Tripp's Cobras....something with the feed lip and follower angles.
pretty sure the have Tripps with that base plate too

Reactions: Dub

Dub

pretty sure the have Tripps with that base plate too

Yep, Cobra mag baseplates are also available along with their mag guts kits.

They used to have aluminum pads available, too. Probably still do.

WC, Chips & Tripps all good to go in my opinion.

Fatboy

First ten shot group with the Bergara was one ragged hole at 35 yards. The Tikka likes 143gr ELDx the best. The Savage 110 6.5 CM that I put in a MDT XRS chassis likes 140gr ELDm over the 147gr. Was a great day of shooting. The B14R only had one issue and that was when my wife was working the bolt.

rosewood

Couldn’t resist on another Browning 1885. The 270 I bought a few months ago is just too classy.

This one is a bit special though in the much less common 454 Casull chambering.

Made in Japan Tasco that will go on a rimfire one day.

View attachment 1293238
Reckon you could ream it to 460 S&W Magnum?

earlthegoat2

Reckon you could ream it to 460 S&W Magnum?

Not in my plans but the 1885 high wall action is rated to max 460 S&W pressures.

Ruger had a run of No 1s in 460 but the word on the street is that the No 1 action is stronger than the 1885 high wall.

rosewood

Not in my plans but the 1885 high wall action is rated to max 460 S&W pressures.

Ruger had a run of No 1s in 460 but the word on the street is that the No 1 action is stronger than the 1885 high wall.
The 454 and 460 are both rated at 65000psi. You have more volume and therefore can use more powder in the 460 to get a longer burn time.

Rosewood

earlthegoat2

I bet some stout 45 Colt loads would do everything you need in the rifle.

The 454 and 460 are both rated at 65000psi. You have more volume and therefore can use more powder in the 460 to get a longer burn time.

Rosewood

I’ll likely predominantly use 454 Casull in this to get the tidbit more capacity over the 45 Colt and maybe extend my MPBR a little bit. I have more Casull brass than 45 Colt also.

It would be interesting to see what kind of velocities could be achieved with a maximally loaded 460 mag and that 28” barrel.

Dub

First ten shot group with the Bergara was one ragged hole at 35 yards. The Tikka likes 143gr ELDx the best. The Savage 110 6.5 CM that I put in a MDT XRS chassis likes 140gr ELDm over the 147gr. Was a great day of shooting. The B14R only had one issue and that was when my wife was working the bolt.

Sounds like you are up and running well with the new stuff.

Dub

I’ll likely predominantly use 454 Casull in this to get the tidbit more capacity over the 45 Colt and maybe extend my MPBR a little bit. I have more Casull brass than 45 Colt also.

It would be interesting to see what kind of velocities could be achieved with a maximally loaded 460 mag and that 28” barrel.

Especially if you handloaded and trialed various powders that really utilized that great 28” runway.

BowSniper

My son just bought this with birthday $$$. He is hunting the backyard and wanted something a little better than the normal Wally-world bb gun. Anyone else shoot a .22 pellet gun?

BowSniper

Minner

Couldn’t resist on another Browning 1885. The 270 I bought a few months ago is just too classy.

This one is a bit special though in the much less common 454 Casull chambering.

Made in Japan Tasco that will go on a rimfire one day.

View attachment 1293238

That's a beautiful rifle. I saw one years ago in Cabela's used gun section. I'm thinking it was around $1100. I went back 2 days later to show it to my Dad and it was gone.

Dub

Ordered this action a couple months ago....arrived at my FFL yesterday afternoon.

Picked it up today.

Short action with .308 family bolt face (swappable bolt face to accommodate a pile of different cartridges).

Barrel should be here in another week or two.

IMG_2938.jpeg

Latest posts