Do you ever give up on artifact sites?

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
The reason I ask is because I did. I had a site that I would wonder around on after each big rain and usually found at least a couple brokes for the past three years or so. Then I ran into a couple hunting the same spot a few times(BIG point hunters). One guy was showing me all the stuff he'd found on that site on his phone. No brokes, perfect points. A lot made of black material that I'd never seen in the area. After that all I started seeing was chips and exhausted the area. I hadn't been back since, not to mention the land owner put up a posted sign. That was almost a year ago.

Well, I got to thinking. The guy posted the property to keep the yahoos out. It has rained an awful lot this year and it always better to ask for forgiveness than permission right? So I decided to go check it out.

When I first started hunting for points I watched a ton of youtube videos. Some of my favorites were the "can you spot the point" videos so I decided to try to take pictures from a hunters point of view for you that don't know what to look for. A partial base, edge, spine or tip may be the only thing you see pertruding from the ground. Every once in a while one will be resting flat on the surface or even elevated by the dirt under it but not very often. These conditions I'm describing are in a clear cut type terrain. Some of these I don't have before pictures because it's hard to contain the excitement of just picking them up. Anyway, lets see if I can make these before and after pictures work out.

~
~
20180802_170211_resized.jpg20180802_170242_resized.jpg

Last edited:

PappyHoel

The pictures aren’t showing for me

Pig Predator

Let me try something else, bear with me and let me know if you can see them cause I can see all of it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Keep trying. I`d like to see what you`ve found too.

I don`t ever give up on any site where artifacts have been found. Especially along a waterway.

Some free advice. Forgiveness vs permission will probably get you some jail time down here. Even the Elder farmers know what "Indian rocks" are and realize that they have value nowadays. Written permission will save you a lot of grief and money.

Pig Predator

I'm pretty proud of this one. Most of these type of point, I either find the tip, base or spine but never whole. 20180724_144832_resized_1.jpg20180724_144852_resized_1.jpg20180724_144928_resized_1.jpg

Pig Predator

And all cleaned up. Like I said earlier, some of these don't have before pictures because I just snatch em up like they were silver dollars or something.20180802_190805_resized.jpg

Pig Predator

That flint arrow head and drill bit shaft? are the only flint I've found in this area. Well, I've found a couple pieces on other leads around there but this is the first on this lead. I imagine them other folks picked it all up.

Mexican Squealer

Got no use for trespassers... have delt with folks sneaking into my place many times to steal artifacts. You are a thief and I hope you get treated as such.

Pig Predator

Relax man. It was a joke. I've talked to the owner.

Last edited by a moderator: