Do you wear a facemask when hunting?

Do you wear a face mask while hunting?

• Never

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Yes - for some things but not deer (rifle season).

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • Yes - for all, or almost all things, including deer.

Votes: 86 78.2%

• Total voters

PWalls

Always wear a head net/mask and gloves. Especially since I have taken to hunting out of ground blinds and such.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Most of the time do wear mask and gloves. Times I may not have it on is when the weather is hot and don't like to sweat in it.

GeauxLSU

Too hot?

I had no idea the results would be this high. 75% say they wear one all the time. Not the folks I've hunted with. ::huh:
For you guys saying it's hot, use a camo head 'net' (and gloves). That's what I have on 95% of the time unless it's real cold then I wear a camo ski mask. Helps with the skeeters when it's warm too.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Phil

You probably should have narrowed the questions a little bit. I wear one during deer season only if it is cold, and I need to keep my nose from falling off my face. I tried to wear the Bug Tamer hood/mask, but I didn't like looking through mesh--felt like it limited my sight.

BTW...I use an old pair of Hane's boxer briefs (not the white ones) as a face mask! I put my head through both leg openings, pull the opening up over my ears and nose, and am good to go! Yeah, it's kind of disgusting if you think about it, but, hey, I am the only one who has ever worn them and they have been thoroughly washed. (Plus, I only use nonskid-marked pairs for face masks!) :eek: :bounce: :D

GeauxLSU

leadoff said:
BTW...I use an old pair of Hane's boxer briefs (not the white ones) as a face mask! I put my head through both leg openings, pull the opening up over my ears and nose, and am good to go! Yeah, it's kind of disgusting if you think about it, but, hey, I am the only one who has ever worn them and they have been thoroughly washed. (Plus, I only use nonskid-marked pairs for face masks!) :eek: :bounce: :D
Leadoff,
I'll give you $5 to go buy a face net if your promise to quit doing that. :eek: ::ke: :eek:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Yeah, I guess I should invest in a "real" face mask. ONe of these days, I am going to leave my "face mask" hanging around my neck when I go uptown to eat after a morning hunt! Try explaining to someone why you have a pair of undershorts around your neck!!! :eek:

broadhead

BTW...I use an old pair of Hane's boxer briefs (not the white ones) as a face mask! I put my head through both leg openings, pull the opening up over my ears and nose, and am good to go! Yeah, it's kind of disgusting if you think about it, but, hey, I am the only one who has ever worn them and they have been thoroughly washed. (Plus, I only use nonskid-marked pairs for face masks!)
I don't think I'd a told that! ::ke: ROTFL!!

OK...let's start the buy Leadoff a "Face Fask Fundraiser". LSU will you be the first to contribute? :D

GeauxLSU

OK, leadoff, now that you've admitted it, there's really no point in hiding. WHERE'S THE PIC!?!?!
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Don't think I have any incriminating photos--wouldn't want to "tarnish" my image more than I already have! Next cold morning when I hit the woods with my skimpies wrapped snuggly around my ears and nose, I will snap a photo just for you, Phil! :D

GeauxLSU

leadoff said:
Don't think I have any incriminating photos--wouldn't want to "tarnish" my image more than I already have! Next cold morning when I hit the woods with my skimpies wrapped snuggly around my ears and nose, I will snap a photo just for you, Phil! :D
Just so happens a cold front is coming through Friday! :fine: I can hardly wait for the pic. I think.... :eek: :bounce:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Lead Poison

I ALWAYS wear a face mask when I'm deer hunting. In fact, I should probably wear one all the time. It my not be purdy, but its the one the good lord gave me :bounce:

Seriously though, I think it really does help break up the human outline of our face.

I also believe that making direct eye contact can spook a deer. :eek:

frankwright

I always wear a facemask and gloves for deer and turkey hunting. I think it keeps your shiney face and white hands from giving you away and also provides protection from skeeters and weather.

I wear a spandoflage mask until it gets really cold and then switch to an insulated mask. Same with gloves, light to heavy based on the temperature.

Sandman619

I always wear one now, I used to wear it only for bow but it kinda carried over to gun hunting to. I feel naked without it! :D

marknga

GONetwork Member
I use to wear one only when it was really really cold but this year have been wearing a light weight mesh one. It helped keep skeeters early in the season and I have gotten use to it.
Leadoff I don't know if I would have shared that :eek:

Mark

Attachments

• MARK FACEMASK RESIZE.jpg
    MARK FACEMASK RESIZE.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 99

littlewolf

Always gloves, and usually a scentlok hood but it gets uncomfortable if I'm on the move or it's the least bit warm..It seems to me deer are more likely to smell my breath than anything else if I'm down low. I keep my clothes as scent free as possible. When it's cold outside and I can see little clouds from my breath blowing away from me it's a good reminder to don my hood...Even when I'm up high I almost always wear the hood and gloves cause I got pasty white skin that glows like a neon sign ;)

reylamb

Like I said, I carry one but only put it on when I see deer coming into my area.

In my line of work your ears take a pounding from being around TV transmitters all day, so anything in front of my ears hinders my ability to identify deer moving.

Also, like I said, they just make me too hot and cause me to sweat. I have tried them all and nothing helps. I can sweat walking out the door in a snow storm.

As far as skeeters, now that I have a thermacell, they do not bother me in the least bit.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
YES and always get weird looks from other camp members but I do the full scent control/ camo thing when I hunt---- and get to camp ----- I am the weirdo they talk about who comes to camp in a T-shirt and shorts in the dead of winter ---I change in to my hunting stuff after parking my truck AND IT USUALLY WORKS EDDY

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Mark's picture reminded me to share another little tip.

I don't wear ball caps into the woods. The bill of the cap acts like a sweeping pointer when you turn your head. With a loose fitting irregular mask, you can slowly rotate your head without being picked off. With a bill, it sticks out and multiplies your movement.

Seems like a little deal but when the deer is within 20-30 yards there aren't any little deals!