Elk Hunt questions

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I have an elk hunt in my future. My son and I have an excellent opportunity to hunt in Montana with a guide. We don’t know exactly when, as we have to draw tags. Needless to say, I am so excited.

I have never hunted elk so I have a million questions.

Of course I don’t want to pester the guide with too many questions immediately.

My question to you guys is that if you wanted to send / ask the Guide five or six questions on initial contact... What questions would you ask first?

I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions, but I want to ask the most appropriate questions up front.

CivilWolf

1. When are we hunting? Early season, rut, or late season?
2. Open country (spot & stalk) or heavy timber (more calling)?
3. Day hunts or backcountry?
Get in the best physical condition as you possible can. This could make or break your hunt depending on what type of hunt you’re on. Get a high quality pair of boots such as Crispi, Kennetrek, Hanwag, Lowa, etc.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on your hunt ! I’ve never really considered hunting any animals that we don’t have in Ga except a elk . Seems like it would be a really enjoyable hunt

NCMTNHunter

Not really a question for the guide but the two most important things you can do to prepare for a guided elk hunt is get in shape and practice shooting from hunting positions and conditions. You have to be able to keep up and you have to be able to get set up and make a shot when you have the opportunity.

Other than that the things you need to know are possible weather conditions, terrain, gear list you might need to bring.

Don’t feel bad asking the outfitter any questions you have. They want you to be prepared and they want you to have realistic expectations of what you are going to find when you get there.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
This is what I already know.

Seven days horseback everyday.

I have ridden horses on a non hunting seven day trip, and although I like horseback riding I do not look forward to the aches I know that will come with that much riding. Yes I know fitness is gonna be a huge issue. I would say that in the 90% fitness range of my age group, but I plan to push my fitness hard in preparing for this once in a lifetime opportunity. So this is a huge focus for me. My son is an athlete so he is fine, and he is really riding me to not slow him down… so I got my own pressure along with his…

They said it could be snowing or hot - they cannot predict the weather.

They said be prepared for five mile daily movements… I assume from camp and stalk?

I am a good shooter, and We (son) do Multigun matches which always require awkward shooting positions and speed. So I am not so worried about shooting from a contorted hasty firing position. But I am gonna practice a lot on longer range shooting. That is one question I have - how far are the shots and can I use my M70 Featherweight in 270?

We will be very close to Yellowstone.

Tags are unlikely this year most likely another year waiting.

I am kinda a boot fanatic, so I know what I will need and the importance breaking them in.

SakoL61R

FWIW,
I grew up in So. Oregon and still go back to hunt when able. Started hunting elk in my teens back in the 70's. Killed them with arrows, modern rifles and the muzzleloader all over the state. Lotsa fun over the years, and next trip is scheduled for 2023. Provided Oregon ain't all burned up.....
  • Stair stepper is your best single exercise. Start at least 6 months prior and do as much as you possibly can. Break in new slowly boots at the same time.
  • Sounds like you shoot quite a bit. Great. Keep it up. Practice with your hunting rifle out to several hundred yards. Know your dope and print it out on a waterproof card. Tape it to your stock. Shooting sticks are your friend as is a good bipod that works on uneven terrain.
  • .270 is fine. Several of my long time friends use it with great success. Recommend a bonded / all copper bullet /premium bullet. Something that holds together up close and fast, but performs out to your max range as well. Shots can be very close. (14 yds was my closest rifle kill in the brush and the 30 cal 180 Barnes performed flawlessly at 3100+ fps impact). Or shots can be out to as far as you can see. Know your limits and don't forget, during bullet flight.....critters can move. Rely on your guide.
  • If it's you and your son, recommend a back-up rifle.
  • Get a range-finder and practice. I've taken a couple GA friends elk hunting over the years who had never hunted in the mountains. Ranging can be difficult. Of course, if you have a guide....they will (should) have one. I'd still carry my own if it was me.
  • Did I mention the stair-stepper? Do it enough and your son might be the one playing catch up.
Have fun and best of luck!
I can't wait to put Lil' Sako on his first bull in 2023. Ima dreading the stair-stepper at my age, though!

Ohoopee Tusker

This is what I already know.

Seven days horseback everyday.

I have ridden horses on a non hunting seven day trip, and although I like horseback riding I do not look forward to the aches I know that will come with that much riding. Yes I know fitness is gonna be a huge issue. I would say that in the 90% fitness range of my age group, but I plan to push my fitness hard in preparing for this once in a lifetime opportunity. So this is a huge focus for me. My son is an athlete so he is fine, and he is really riding me to not slow him down… so I got my own pressure along with his…

They said it could be snowing or hot - they cannot predict the weather.

They said be prepared for five mile daily movements… I assume from camp and stalk?

I am a good shooter, and We (son) do Multigun matches which always require awkward shooting positions and speed. So I am not so worried about shooting from a contorted hasty firing position. But I am gonna practice a lot on longer range shooting. That is one question I have - how far are the shots and can I use my M70 Featherweight in 270?

We will be very close to Yellowstone.

Tags are unlikely this year most likely another year waiting.

I am kinda a boot fanatic, so I know what I will need and the importance breaking them in.
I live North of Yellowstone, very close to Yellowstone means, Grizzly country. Ask them about their bear safety practices. An elk guide was killed by a Grizzly in the Greater Yellowstone Basin about 2 years ago. The rut in that area starts to heat up in Sept and goes into Oct. We can get snow here starting in Sept. Last September we went from 93 degrees too 23 degrees with snow in two days. But that was from a front. Overall the temps aren't bad in Sept and will start dropping in mid-late Oct. Adjusting to the elevation can be tough on some people. This is really big country, there's no way to describe just how far and how much you can see at one time. What looks like rocks on a hill side will turn out to be elk on a mountain.

Nimrod71

Ask your guide what kind of success rate he has. Also will the guide be with you on the hunt or will he just point you where to go. Also how many hunters will be in the camp. What kind of meals will we have and when, Happy sacks at Lunch or candy bars.

Shooting sticks or swivel bipod will be a big help, the bipod needs to be a long model, not the short bench model. I advise having a scope that can take a licking and come it kicking, my horse and I slide and rolled about 50 ft down the side of a mountain on one of my elk hunts in Idaho. My rifle was a 700 in 7 mag with a Leupold VX II. The horse rolled over the rifle, I hunted with all day not knowing if it was still on, back at camp I check with a 3 shot group at 250 measured yds. and it was still on. As the Scouts say Be Prepared. Steppers are OK buy if you can find and old fire tower to climb or a tall building to climb stairs will work better.

For boots I highly recommend Danner Hood Winter hunting boot. I have been using Danner boots for over 40 years. I learned the hard way about hunting boots in the mountains. I am on my second pair of Hoods, the first pair lasted 12 yrs.

Practice shooting standing up without rest and shooting using a tree rest. Depending on where you hunt you never know when and elk will show up. As above from 20 yds. to 500 yds. Again, know your rifle and what it will do. If possible carry and extra scope and tools to change and clean rifle, and extra rile wouldn't hurt. I can be bad hunt if your rile gets broke and you don't have a spare. Make sure you have plenty of ammo. A small compass, compass, fire starter and nylon para. cord.

Any normal meds. you may need: Tums, Rolaids, B.C.'s so on.

Write down all the questions you can come up with and get them all answered, remember you are paying for this trip.

chrislibby88

You may want to plan a extra few days before your trip to acclimate to the altitude, assuming you are in high country. If you go from just a few hundred feet above sea level to 5000+ ft you are gonna be whipped just climbing steps the first day. A day or two should get you fairly acclimated. The longer the better though. Find out what elevation you’ll be hunting, and plan accordingly.

Nimrod71

If you are a flatlander the high altitude will really tell on you. Climbing with a 35 lb. back pack helped me. I climbed the local fire tower 4 times a week to help build up for my first trip. It did help

deers2ward

Tags are unlikely this year most likely another year waiting. .

Results were posted on April 14th so you would already know if you drew or not for 2021, if you applied.

If you are planning on hunting next year you need to buy a NR pref point now, before Sept 30th. Then you will buy another one with your application next year and you will very likely draw the combo tag.

I hunted Montana last year. Got a 6 pt first week of November. Montana is a special place. Near yellowstone you will likely have grizzly encounters of some kind, hopefully from far off. Do some research and prepare yourself mentally for that.

earlthegoat2

I’m looking into a late season cow hunt in the next five years.

No waiting for tags and higher success rates are very compelling reasons for me to go that route.

Rich M

In general, elk makes me think of steep terrain and the possibility for a long shot.

At least be walking several miles every day for a couple months before you go and be comfortable shooting out to 400 yards.

You'll have a guide - so he knows what the animals will act like and where to find em.

Focus on yourself and your abilities so that when the time comes, you will connect the dots and bring home your trophy.

oppthepop

There are a couple of natural supplements available for the prevention of altitude sickness that really help for us flat landers. I had that one time in the high country and it can be life threatening.
Shoot, and shoot some more. Sounds like you are good to go there.
For me, I got up to running five miles a day for several weeks prior to my last elk hunt (2019). I shot my bull at 9000 feet, 12 degrees and snow, 9 miles from the truck, so be prepared physically as best you can.
I agree on the Danner boots.
take extra EVERYTHING and TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!!!! There is nothing like hunting elk in the high country, and I am envious!
PS -might want to take that Glock 10mm with 200 grain hard cast lead loads that you can get to in a hurry in just in case..............

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
What ever list of questions you come up with ask them now or wait until the offseason.

Some things ill add,
Since you have some time before your hunt. Take a long hard look at your gear. Decide if you need to upgrade any of it now.

Quality gortex rain gear is a must.

My normal clothing for hunting in the mountains has worked for the horse back hunts ive been own.
I normally wear a silk weight thermal top and bottom.
Fleece pants and thin shirt
light weight fleece jacket
Gortex rain gear.
Sock liners with smart wool socks.

If its a later in the season rifle hunt. You may want to either wear a thicker base layer. Or add another.

I prefer multiple layers.
It can be cold riding the horse. Need to do a climb too get a shot. You may need to shed some layers quickly.
Speaking of climbing,
The suggested above exercise is good. You might want to alternate climbing slow and steady for long periods. With brief intervals of doing a set as fast a you can.

The best glass you can afford in binoculars and rifle scope.

Bobby Bigtime

I am fortunate to live in Montana and hunt elk. Lots of good advice here .weather varies and can change instantly so make sure you have layers you can add and shed as the need arises. Elk hunting means walking so good but light boots. Good binoculars are a must you will be looking through them a lot. Streamline your gear load so you are both prepared and not laden with too much gear. Most elk hunters here do not pack a sidearm but some do as they can really become a burden after a while bear spray can be a much better option. Once the elk is down it is all hard work from there. A "good" knife flashlight and headlamp are a must because processing into the night is more common than you might think. Good luck you will have a blast!

Nimrod71

B, has some very good points I hadn't thought off. A good skinning knife is a must, not a sword like I have seen some hunters carrying. I saw a good skinning knife at the LGS last week it came with 6 changeable blades and cost $24. For flashlights we are really lucky now days with the advances in batteries and blubs. I would get a good head or cap light as well as hand light. I think Bear Spray may be better than carrying a hand gun for bear. The reasons being carrying a heavy hand gun, hitting a charging bear on the run, with the bear spray you can just point in the general direction between you and the bear. Really don't run from the bear, like dogs, they will chase you. The bear spray want hurt the bear, just burn eyes, nose, mouth and lungs.

My sure you have a good back pack / board that can be used to carry personal gear and elk parts. I used my old ALICE pack.

Life above layer your cloths from lite to heavy and make sure you have good wet weather jacket and pants.

If we keep going we will have you ready by your hunt date.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I went 5 years ago horseback, (mostly mules actually), in WY backcountry 8 days.
You should be able to ask your guide all you want. He should be excited to hear em and answer em! They are probably fixin to get busy though with this years clients.
I used 30-06 But my outfitter said people use 270 all the time. Get a bonded bullet in their lungs and the elk dies.
I had great advice before I headed out but no one ever mentioned the rigor of goin down hill. That trashed my calves and hamstrings at first. I'll say that was the biggest pains of the trip I had. Towards the end of the week my legs got more accustomed to it but at first that was a shock! I'd train my legs for going down STEEEEEP grades before I go on my next trip.
I'll tell you the fact I learned. The better in shape you are the more you will ENJOY this hunt. The better in shape you are the more you will be able to keep up with a good guide and the more elk you'll see.
Sounds like you and your son are shooting a lot and that's gonna be great advantage already having practiced long distance and different wind and akward positions. Maybe you already have but another thing to practice is try getting you're heart rate up and then slowing and calming your heart, lungs and hands before a shot. Some elk guides spot an elk herd and they need you to get up there quick and set up for a shot as the herd is ready to bust out. Some hunters get there with their heart pounding outta their ears and the bull is fixin to leave. That also goes with being in shape to keep up with giude and the hunter wouldn't be so far behind.
I'm excited for you n yer son. I hope to get back to elk country one year soon!!!!
Be in best shape possible and enjoy and hope to see some pics on here!!!!

Last edited: