Entry-level kayak for salt marsh, ponds and rivers

willie1971

I fish these places the most, and I'm 6'2", 200lbs. interested in an entry-level kayak. Would like to keep under $1000. Any suggestions?

Anvil Head

Don't know about anyone else, but I prefer sit on tops for salt marshes. Easier to get out of if the outgoing tide leaves you in a pocket and you have to do a little dragging. When the bite is on we sometimes forget to watch the tide....just saying.
Also a good bit easier to flush mud/sand out of a SOT. Plus if you get the right one you can stand for scouting tails and nervous water - things that are harder to see sitting down.

Turpentine

Kaku kahuna. Around 800
Kaku voodoo around 1200
Kaku kayaks
They have a Wahoo kayak as well.
Just not a fan of traditional styling kayaks since they introduced paddle board hybirds.
Step on, step off
Sit or stand
More room to move around.
Can run with or without a trolling motor with little to no mods
Check em out

Last edited:

Bream Pole

Go to Jackson kayak web cite. They are great kayaks and you'll see several in your price range. You'll want a 12' or longer kayak. Jackson Kayaks have very good removable seats that you'll be glad you have. I have back trouble and can paddle all day in that seat. Mine is a tripper 12 which is a hybrid. Not sure you would want it for salt. Sit on top better for your purposes I would think.

Upatoi Sportsman

There are many great options in that price range. If possible I suggest finding a store that has some test models you an try them out. It's about finding the right kayak for you.

nickel back

Kaku kahuna. Around 800
Kaku voodoo around 1200
Kaku kayaks
They have a Wahoo kayak as well.
Just not a fan of traditional styling kayaks since they introduced paddle board hybirds.
Step on, step off
Sit or stand
More room to move around.
Can run with or without a trolling motor with little to no mods
Check em out

Like what I see and have read so far about them, may be the way I go.

nickel back

also looking at 3 waters big fish, Vibe sea ghost and feelfree lure, nice yaks

Last edited: