Every day carry

transfixer

How long did it take yall to get "used" to carrying? I mean where the seat belt wasn't an issue, you dint notice when you sat down or bent over etc?
Like said, I have carried a few times and just cant get used to it. Plus I have never been able to carry at work, against the rules (FD, now hospitals), so if I put it on in the morning then take it off then put it back on it just seems like a pain.

having to constantly remove and put back on would be a pain, you could never get used to it in my mind , I work in an automotive shop, and don't carry at work, but do have it on my toolbox usually, I carry a p365 appendix iwb, and it is very comfortable to me, I carry on the weekends, or if going somewhere other than straight home after work, the p365 is the first pistol that is "comfortable" for me to carry, other than my Ruger lcp, which depending on what I'm wearing I will sometimes carry the same way,

My stepson is LE, and after coming off uniform patrol and going into a plain clothes unit, he had to get used to carrying IWB concealed, appendix , and he's constantly in vehicles and out of vehicles, he is a slim guy, with no gut, so its easier for him , but it took him a good while to really get used to carrying that way. now he literally has it on him all the time, even at home, IWB covered by his shirt, but then he carries a Glock 43, so its not very big,

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
How long did it take yall to get "used" to carrying? I mean where the seat belt wasn't an issue, you dint notice when you sat down or bent over etc?
Like said, I have carried a few times and just cant get used to it. Plus I have never been able to carry at work, against the rules (FD, now hospitals), so if I put it on in the morning then take it off then put it back on it just seems like a pain.

Away back when, I got used to carrying a gun when I became a cop. It was easy, because I was issued a Glock 17, a duty belt, and an off duty holster all Don Hume Leather. Being told what to carry and how took a lot of guesswork out of the equation. ?

You just strap up, and wear it. Good quality leather stuff will mold to you in a matter of a couple weeks to a month, and at the same time you will become used to it, and no longer aware that it's there.

Plastic and nylon cheap crap will not mold to fit your style, and should be avoided.

I still have, and wear that Don Hume off duty holster any time I am carrying a Glock, an using a black belt. It just so happens that it will even work with my G19MOS with the Trijicon optic on top.

My advice is to pick a gun, a good holster, and a good belt and just go for it. Wear it until you no longer even think about it, and feel naked without it.

As for it being a pain to "take it on and off", it really isn't. I carry to and from, but not at work. Takes all of 30 seconds to stash the pistol and extra mag, or put it back on. I use the black or brown carry belts all the time.

After you have gotten used to, and gain comfort and confidence with a certain set up, you can explore other options.

Or not.

My defense gun rides my right hip and I will never deviate from that. I REFUSE to stick a gun down my pants, for any reason, though lots of folks do.

In the woods, all bets are off. It might be cross draw to avoid my rifle if I am out walkin', or it might be in a shoulder rig. Might be on the hip, as usual. Depends on the gun, mood, and dress.

Look at carrying as your new hobby for a while, commit to it, and have some fun while learning what you like and what works for you.

But you gotta start somewhere...;)

Here's what works for me. Not necessarily for you, because only you can decide that. The possibilities and options are endless.

A 1791 Pancake that will accommodate the optic. Thing is built like a TANK and is a good option.

IMG_20220624_162210048.jpg

Shown with a brown Bowen Buckle Knife belt I've had 30 years. I have it's black brother that goes with the old Don Hume...The black belt did my entire decade of policing being worn daily.

The importance of a good stout belt cannot be stressed enough.

IMG_20220624_162304327.jpg

I have tried with no luck to get Don Hume to make me a brown one.. ?

Good luck man, and have fun!

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

Several years ago, in a bar/poolhall in Rabun County a guy with a .25 ACP and a guy with the thick half of a pool cue got into it.

Guy with the pool cue won! He took a couple of rounds, but didn't even have to spend the night in the hospital!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I carried around the house till I got used to it. Sometimes just a holster without the weapon. Then I carried around the house in the presence of my wife to see if she would notice. She would have said something, but she never noticed.
I live in what I consider a super safe area and would believe I will never have any kind of need for it near here. I mostly carry when I am out of my comfort zone. I know there are some who would shun part time carry. But full time is just not for me. Before I was comfortable in the grocery store or home depot et cetera, I left my weapon stashed in the truck and went in with the holster only a few times. Nobody notices.
One thing I will say is that I think an added advantage to carrying is that it actually increases my situational awareness about 400%.

jrickman

To be honest, I didn't get comfortable with carrying daily until I stopped caring about concealing. If it shows, it shows. Oh well.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
To be honest, I didn't get comfortable with carrying daily until I stopped caring about concealing. If it shows, it shows. Oh well.
Yes. But thank God for Georgia laws. In some States it is a crime for letting it show.

Reactions: Dub

sbroadwell

When I’m working I’m in and out of customer’s plants all day long. Just about all have “no gun” signs and some, like Amazon, have exit metal detectors. If I got caught with a gun, my company would probably be banned.
Any kind of holster, even a slide on pancake, is a real pain to take on and off constantly. So I went to pocket carry. For about 10 years had a Ruger LC9 with Uncle Mikes soft pocket holster. That worked fine but limited capacity.
A year ago upgraded to Sig P365 with a hard plastic Alabama holster. Have the 12 round magazine, plus a 15 rounder in my pocket.
I only wear 511 pants for work (need pockets for measuring tape, etc. the gun just disappears in those pockets. And there’s a special little pocket on the left that hold a magazine perfectly.

Dub

Some days...seems like I am still getting used to it.

Different comfort levels attainable on different days. Some aggravating nerve issues from spine injury & surgery act up at times. For me, this means it's important that I can reposition a holster and wear it at different locations from 1:00-5:00 around the belt. An alloy framed commander is really comfortable, too.

As @sbroadwell stated above, the P365 has really offered a pile of flexibility. It can go IWB-OWB holster or pocket holster with equal ease and comfort. It has a 12+1 payload with spare 15rd backup mags, phenomenal sights, great trigger action and pretty decent fit in paw.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
I am on the smaller side, only 5'8" and weigh between 185 and 195 depending on the cooking season.

I wear jeans or carhartts most every day and haven't found anything I can pocket carry that doesn't show I have a weapon on me.

I only carry OWB in the winter time and that's when I am wearing a winter coat.

That leaves IWB as my main carry option. I started out carrying a 1911 commander in a Milt Sparks summer special knock off. I carried around the house and drove around the community till I found the sweet spot for it to ride. Then I had Cptn Quirk build me a holster, a modified milt sparks Versa Max for me.

Now I have a RIA BBR 3.10, and am carrying it in a cheaper ebay holster while Keith AKA Capt Quirk (Smokewagon leathers) is building me a new IWB.

I want to say this and mean no disrespect, if you can't get comfortable carrying in your chosen mode, then don't carry. And however you decide to carry practice practice practice on presentation and reholstering, then practice some more!!!!!!!!

treemanjohn

Banned
Some days...seems like I am still getting used to it.

Different comfort levels attainable on different days. Some aggravating nerve issues from spine injury & surgery act up at times. For me, this means it's important that I can reposition a holster and wear it at different locations from 1:00-5:00 around the belt. An alloy framed commander is really comfortable, too.

As @sbroadwell stated above, the P365 has really offered a pile of flexibility. It can go IWB-OWB holster or pocket holster with equal ease and comfort. It has a 12+1 payload with spare 15rd backup mags, phenomenal sights, great trigger action and pretty decent fit in paw.
Dub nailed it. Despite interweb claims of comfort and "I don't even know it's there" I've never personally experienced it. Every piece of metal between your belt and your skin will take some tolerance on your part

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Dub nailed it. Despite interweb claims of comfort and "I don't even know it's there" I've never personally experienced it. Every piece of metal between your belt and your skin will take some tolerance on your part

And this is a big part of the reason I absolutely refuse to stick a gun down my pants.... ?

FlipKing

Appendix carry ain't for the weak. Especially a big gun like a g19. Lol

B. White

When I am dressed for it, I prefer a S&W model 69 44 at about 3:30. This holster lets it ride high and is comfortable. I do have to get used to the weight on the belt if I haven't worn it in a while, but it doesn't take long to get back in the groove.

I carry a few others, but it all depends on how I'm dressed. Some belt holstered and a couple of Sticky holsters for smaller pieces when I have roomy pockets. I'm also 100% confident in my okra cutting knife, which I have about as much confidence in as anything else.

1656283874900.jpeg

Past few years I’ve been carrying either a lcp 2 or a NAA 22mag, these are “belly” guns but they are the only two that I can carry IWB with 100% comfort.

This summer I decided I wanted to start carrying more firepower and after trying a few different guns I found a smith and Wesson .40 shield.

I feel more than confident with 8 rounds of .40 s&w, the pistol is accurate and most of all it carry’s IWB just as easily as my LCP 2.

After putting a couple hundred rounds through it I like it so much it might even replace my GP100 by my bedside at night.

I’ve always been a revolver guy but this slim bottom feeder has brought me to the “dark side”