Extendable battery powered pole saw?

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
What brand? Tell me what ya think if you have one.

wildcats

I have the ryobi 40 volt. Does everything I need it to. Cuts great and have never had a problem. Could have spent more money but I guess I lucked out because this one has kept up with every task I have used it for.

GeorgiaBob

I picked up a Harbor Freight "Atlas" a few months ago. It's OK. The battery lasts about an hour in hard use. I have used it about 15 times for a total of 30 or so hours and it still looks new, runs well and the chain is still sharp.
On the positive side; it is easy to assemble and break down, a section of the pole can be removed making it a shorter pole saw, chain tensioning and removal/replacement is straight forward, automatic oiling works.
Negatives I noticed are; the angle of the saw to the pole is not ideal making for some awkward cutting in tight spaces, sawdust does not easily clear out of the rear of the saw, I have had to re-tension the chain more often than I should.

WayneB

Dewalt. Had the others, were not really worth what I paid for them, if the oiler worked, it also leaked while stored. Found Dewalt to have more grunt and chain speed too, and you can swap just the head for a hedge trimmer head. on 4th year now too, others may have made it two before something went too wrong to mess with em.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
For home use, the Ryobi has been fine. I caught this one on sale, brushless motor, and expand it capable, and can be used with any of the Trimmer Plus line of attachments. We have lots of string trimming to do and it's great to have a helper from time to time when I'm running the gas trimmer.
Ryobi 18V Expand It trimmer
311389023_S01_R01_C01.jpg

My wife likes it due to the lightweight easy to handle vs. my gas Husqvarna.

I then found a sale on the Troy-Bilt Pole saw attachment.
Troy-Bilt Pole Saw attachment
41AJPS-C902.png

While this may not make sense for everyone, I now have the option of interchanging trimmer heads, pole saw, brush cutter attachment, on either the battery trimmer or the gas trimmer depending on who is using it or the application.
Troy-Bilt Brush Cutter attachment.
TrimmerPlus_TPB720_4.jpg

The Ryobi is quiet and relatively lightweight, although you will want to catch the 4 Amp Hour HP batteries on sale for backup.

Last edited:

GeorgiaGlockMan

Milwaukee M18 with extra center extension pole. Basically an electric chainsaw.

1st you need one of the big 10.0 or 12.0 $300 batteries to run the saw. The 5.0&6.0 batteries are too small especially running the weedeater attachment.

The pole is real flimsy and will bend if you put any pressure on it.

With that said. If I broke it today, I'd buy another one just like it tomorrow.

Baroque Brass

I have the Kobalt 80v. It works great.

sowega hunter

I'm glad others like the ryobi but i hate mine. The chain constantly comes off and it's kind of a pain to put back on. I had a Kobalt and it was pretty good but it finally burned up. I will buy another kobalt. I bought the ryobi because it had a longer reach.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have the EGO 56 volt system, from hedge trimmer to pole saw they do a good job. Using one type battery for all your battery powered stuff is key. The battery is the expensive part of any battery powered equipment.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I’m waiting on a rigid.

transfixer

I'm glad others like the ryobi but i hate mine. The chain constantly comes off and it's kind of a pain to put back on. I had a Kobalt and it was pretty good but it finally burned up. I will buy another kobalt. I bought the ryobi because it had a longer reach.

You must have gotten a defective one, had mine for years, and do have to adjust the chain tightness after running it a while, but I've not had any issue with it coming off, and I use mine hard, don't cut it any slack, truth be known don't keep it lubed as much as I should

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
You must have gotten a defective one, had mine for years, and do have to adjust the chain tightness after running it a while, but I've not had any issue with it coming off, and I use mine hard, don't cut it any slack, truth be known don't keep it lubed as much as I should
I've had some of mine for years. Sawzall, skilsaw, drill & light was original pack. The batteries didn't last long in the saws. Fast forward probably 10 years & I started buying new Ryobis. The new batteries fit my old black Ryobi tools & last a lot longer in the saws. Glad I didn't discard the old tools when the original batteries quit! :rockon:

transfixer

I've had some of mine for years. Sawzall, skilsaw, drill & light was original pack. The batteries didn't last long in the saws. Fast forward probably 10 years & I started buying new Ryobis. The new batteries fit my old black Ryobi tools & last a lot longer in the saws. Glad I didn't discard the old tools when the original batteries quit! :rockon:

I've got quite a lot of the Ryobi tools, and haven't been disappointed in any of them really, in fact I use a Ryobi impact driver at work daily, and a Ryobi drill , both 18v, the Ryobi impact driver I current use I've been using for roughly two years, constantly , 5 days a week, tearing down and building transmissions with it, cost less than $100, guys I work with have milwaukee and Snap on impact drivers they bought for 3 or 4 times as much, some of which haven't lasted a year,,

I do not baby my tools, I'm rough on them, and they haven't failed me yet

Geffellz18

Another vote for Ryobi 18v here! Love mine along with all the other tools I have of theirs. The pole saw has exceeded my expectations for what I’ve had it do for me!