Finally got a few sets out

mossyoakpro

Finally got some dry days and looky what I found....Another fawn killer outta circulation.

Attachments

• Coyote 1 2018.jpg
    Coyote 1 2018.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 66

Mark K

Banned
Great catch! My place has dried up big time. Haven’t even seen a track of a predator in about 2 weeks. Gonna give it until this weekend, if nothing by then I may pull and wait until quail season goes out so I can hit my other spot.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great catch! My place has dried up big time. Haven’t even seen a track of a predator in about 2 weeks. Gonna give it until this weekend, if nothing by then I may pull and wait until quail season goes out so I can hit my other spot.
Sounds like you’ve done a good job !

mossyoakpro

I have missed several unfortunately...they are coming in and digging my hole out from the side. They end up putting too much dirt on the pan so the trap will not fire. That has happened on 2 different sets, I tried to block it down a little bit more today but if it happens again I'll have a set just outside the pattern waiting for him next time.

oldguy

I have missed several unfortunately...they are coming in and digging my hole out from the side. They end up putting too much dirt on the pan so the trap will not fire. That has happened on 2 different sets, I tried to block it down a little bit more today but if it happens again I'll have a set just outside the pattern waiting for him next time.
Might try adding a second trap where he comes in from the side. Some of 'em just ain't meant to be caught!

oldguy

That was a yard sale find!! It works great for yotes because they can't try and chew their way out which happens on those plastic crates.
I used to hold 'em in those plastic pet taxis on the back of the truck. At night I 'd back the truck up to back light and leave the radio playing - like there was somebody there. They never bothered to chew out. Then I got me a big welded box.

mossyoakpro

I used to hold 'em in those plastic pet taxis on the back of the truck. At night I 'd back the truck up to back light and leave the radio playing - like there was somebody there. They never bothered to chew out. Then I got me a big welded box.

I'll have to try that if I overload my aluminum box...I am in the process of building a pen to store them in until I make a run to the buyer. I'm going to mount it on a small trailer so I can pull it behind my truck and put it an an old hay barn we have on the farm. I try not to keep them more than a week or so but with a bigger pen I can house more and not make so many trips to the buyer.

Rick Alexander

I've got a few stainless steel cages you guys might be interested in. The guy that owned my son's house before me had a pet store supply business. He left a bunch of his old cages when he left and I didn't have the heart to trash them. They will be cheap - just not free. They might not be big enough - I'm not sure how big they need to be. They are a little larger than a cat size cage I believe. They have been sitting a while out there so hopefully they are still good. I'll try to get some pictures later today. PM me if you want some pictures to see if you're interested. There's also a big (like double refrigerator size) incubator -not sure if it works- and several large lizard cages made from wood and glass.

mossyoakpro

What traps are you using for the live market?

MB 450 & 550...I have used some K9 Extreme Juniors as well but the MB's are hard to beat. I have tried some Bridger dogless but they are pretty tough on the feet unless you laminate and file the edges on them.

mossyoakpro

Might try adding a second trap where he comes in from the side. Some of 'em just ain't meant to be caught!

The digger is one of those! I caught him last night but he pulled out....apparently only a toe catch. He did his best to destroy my trap before getting out though, bent the dog and chewed all the finish off the trap. LOL

Probably never catch him again now :(

mossyoakpro

I've got a few stainless steel cages you guys might be interested in. The guy that owned my son's house before me had a pet store supply business. He left a bunch of his old cages when he left and I didn't have the heart to trash them. They will be cheap - just not free. They might not be big enough - I'm not sure how big they need to be. They are a little larger than a cat size cage I believe. They have been sitting a while out there so hopefully they are still good. I'll try to get some pictures later today. PM me if you want some pictures to see if you're interested. There's also a big (like double refrigerator size) incubator -not sure if it works- and several large lizard cages made from wood and glass.

PM sent

furtaker

MB 450 & 550...I have used some K9 Extreme Juniors as well but the MB's are hard to beat. I have tried some Bridger dogless but they are pretty tough on the feet unless you laminate and file the edges on them.
How are you liking the Juniors? I've thought about ordering a few just to see how I like them. They look to be a stout trap. Lots of folks like the full sized K9 X-treme but I've read too many stories about them holding livestock and deer and I ain't dealing with that.

oldguy

The digger is one of those! I caught him last night but he pulled out....apparently only a toe catch. He did his best to destroy my trap before getting out though, bent the dog and chewed all the finish off the trap. LOL

Probably never catch him again now :(
It's unreal the force they can exert with their jaws. I've seen 'em take the dog OFF of traps! You probably have as well. Don't want to get bit by one of 'em that's for sure.
I caught one in a #2 Bridger (off-set, base plate w/center swivel) over the weekend and was much impressed. First time using them. W/O careful examination it would be hard to tell which foot was caught, and man it had him, right across the pad. Wasn't going anywhere.
You may be aware that UGA/DNR was doing a study on 'yotes couple of years back. The trappers that caught them actually caught some again (radio collared). Guess you never know. Keep after 'em. He might show back up again & you'll get the last laugh!

mossyoakpro

How are you liking the Juniors? I've thought about ordering a few just to see how I like them. They look to be a stout trap. Lots of folks like the full sized K9 X-treme but I've read too many stories about them holding livestock and deer and I ain't dealing with that.

They are built like a tank! I'd be glad to let you run some and try them out...no way you can tear them up! LOL

mossyoakpro

It's unreal the force they can exert with their jaws. I've seen 'em take the dog OFF of traps! You probably have as well. Don't want to get bit by one of 'em that's for sure.
I caught one in a #2 Bridger (off-set, base plate w/center swivel) over the weekend and was much impressed. First time using them. W/O careful examination it would be hard to tell which foot was caught, and man it had him, right across the pad. Wasn't going anywhere.
You may be aware that UGA/DNR was doing a study on 'yotes couple of years back. The trappers that caught them actually caught some again (radio collared). Guess you never know. Keep after 'em. He might show back up again & you'll get the last laugh!

I reset 2 different sets within a few yards of the catch circle and put different lure and bait...looking at the area there were several friends with him. I should have another if not that one soon. I didn't have my puller with me so I just covered the messed up trap with dirt. I'll get it in the morning when I go back...hopefully with a yote next to it :)