Frying a Turkey

Kebo07

I have searched but did not find anything. There are some fantastic cooks here and I was hoping you could give me some tips on frying a turkey this Thanksgiving. I have the burner, turkey pot, etc. I understand that it must be fully defrosted and I better do it outside. I was looking for if you Brine it, rub it, or inject it, or all these to make it better. Thanks for the help.

specialk

keep kids, pets, and or drunk clumsy adults away from the cooking area.....they are delicious but with the price of oil I now spatchcock my bird....

Kebo07

I did not even think of the youtube. This and the NC hunting forum is about all my computer knowledge. Appreciate the heads up.

Kids will be easy to keep away......Drunk adults, not so much as my Brother is coming. lol

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
No brining needed. I usually inject with creole butter and season outside with cajun seasoning. DO NOT PUT TOO MUCH OIL IN POT. Turn burner off when you drop the turkey and then re-light

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Melt some butter, blend with creole or other seasoning to your preference and inject the turkey. Cook it per the video.

Dr. Strangelove

keep kids, pets, and or drunk clumsy adults away from the cooking area.....they are delicious but with the price of oil I now spatchcock my bird....
Honestly unless you have a couple of friends or relatives that also want fried turkeys or just really deep fry a lot, it's not worth the trouble for one bird.

We used to all gather at a friend's place on Thanksgiving morning and fry multiple turkeys for anyone who wanted one while enjoying holiday libations.

Haven't done one in years, they are good though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No brining needed. I usually inject with creole butter and season outside with cajun seasoning. DO NOT PUT TOO MUCH OIL IN POT. Turn burner off when you drop the turkey and then re-light
This.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
This is all pre deep frying and can be done hours or even a day ahead: Put the turkey in the empty fryer pot and add water to see how much oil you'll need to cover the bird while holding the bird down so it doesn't float if it is wrapped in plastic..
Take the bird out and where the water settles is how much oil you'll need.
Dump the water, dry out the pot, dry off the bird.
Season the bird to your liking, add the oil you need, get it to temp and has been said earlier, turn the flame off before you slowly lower the bird into the hot oil. Re-ignite the burner after all goes well.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
A few years ago I bought a CharBroil propane oil-less turkey fryer. Basically it is an outdoor air fryer.
It is as fast as the oil ones. The turkeys, chicken, hams, beef, veggies etc all come out as crispy as the oil fryer and there are no worries about boil overs and flames.

Duff

This, again.

DynamicDennis

Definitely not frozen, LOL. Brine for a couple days citrus, garlic, bay leaf. Inject with creole butter and let eat!!!