Help with ATV

erhunter

Hello all,
I could use some help with some damage I suffered to my ATV. A stick tore a hole in the rubber protective joint casing. Some dirt got up in the grief that lubricates this joint before I realized the tear had occurred.Do you all think this is something I could fix myself or should I have it taken to a shop?

Attachments

• A1105AE7-E859-4130-86DE-954114B6CD7A.jpeg
    A1105AE7-E859-4130-86DE-954114B6CD7A.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 83
  • C58DA29B-79AE-4535-A62E-19343B480D92.jpeg
    C58DA29B-79AE-4535-A62E-19343B480D92.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 84

erhunter

get another boot, clean the joint real good regrease and install new boot. good to go
Everything I can find online appears to show how to Replace the Front cv boots. This boot is on the center drivetrain. The boot appears to completely encompass the drivetrain so I would think I would need to separate it in order to install a new boot?

Hillbilly stalker

My Honda Rancher had a busted boot like that. I'll work on my own stuff, but that's a pretty big wrestling match there. If I remember right, the guy told me you half to either pull the transmission back or the motor. Its been awhile, but I paid to have it done.

erhunter

My Honda Rancher had a busted boot like that. I'll work on my own stuff, but that's a pretty big wrestling match there. If I remember right, the guy told me you half to either pull the transmission back or the motor. Its been awhile, but I paid to have it done.
Yea I figured. just my luck. I am not mechanically inclined either. I bet it is the boot for the 4wD. Any guesses on a reasonable price for a job like this? I’m half tempted to get a new one and just wrap it around the torn one, titlghten down a hose clamp on either end and use some flex seal to seal it up.

Hillbilly stalker

Its been several years since I had it done, so I cant quote you the price. It wasn't horrible, but you need to fix it the right way. If its got grit or dirt in there, your gonna have problems. You can call around, they will tell you over the phone an estimate.

tr21

see if you can find a youtube video showing how to replace it, then decide if you want to try it yourself.

zedex

Gator Bait
I ran a motorcycle/atv/PwC dealership for years. I can tell you this.
Its is possible for you to repair it. But if not done properly, you could be looking at spending a lot more.
My advice is have the dealership do the repairs. If something is wrong, they have to eat it. You do it wrong, you eat it.
Some things are best left to dealership or other knowledgeable shops.
But, if you do have a shop do it, beware they will try to hang you on additional repairs to generate more income. Never commit. Take it to them, show what needs to be done and tell them that's all to be done. Make your position known up front.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Yea I figured. just my luck. I am not mechanically inclined either. I bet it is the boot for the 4wD. Any guesses on a “reasonable” price for a job like this? I’m half tempted to get a new one and just wrap it around the torn one, titlghten down a hose clamp on either end and use some flex seal to seal it up.
Don’t do this.

NOYDB

BANNED
If you are not mechanically inclined and already have the tools to do the job have the dealer do it. Have to have a place to do the work free from dirt. Keeping the axel free from dirt is why there is a boot there.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Had the exact same thing happen to mine. I ordered a boot online really cheap and did it myself. Wasn't hard at all, just had to drop the A arms,and remove the spindle Aseembly. You will need a ball joint seperator for this. If you don't want to do all that, they do make a boot that is made to replace without doing any of that. Just do an online search. Cut the old one off, clean the joint, add new grease and put the he's boot on.

shdw633

I had the rear bearings go out on my ATV about 3 weeks ago and decided I would fix it myself as the you tube videos did not seem to make it that hard of a job to do....wow, three weeks later and I finally got the bearings out of the old shaft, every bolt on the rear axle housing felt like it was welded on the bike, bearings had to be chiseled off out of the housing and off the shaft, still need to do a lot of work to get all the parts cleaned and put back together. Point I am trying to make is that if you don't have the right tools, space and time then save yourself a lot of grief and time and have a professional do it, that way it is right and the pain is only temporary when you get the bill, not drawn out like I am going through right now!!!

zedex

Gator Bait
I had the rear bearings go out on my ATV about 3 weeks ago and decided I would fix it myself as the you tube videos did not seem to make it that hard of a job to do....wow, three weeks later and I finally got the bearings out of the old shaft, every bolt on the rear axle housing felt like it was welded on the bike, bearings had to be chiseled off out of the housing and off the shaft, still need to do a lot of work to get all the parts cleaned and put back together. Point I am trying to make is that if you don't have the right tools, space and time then save yourself a lot of grief and time and have a professional do it, that way it is right and the pain is only temporary when you get the bill, not drawn out like I am going through right now!!!
Your experience is how a lot of people capitalize on buy 4wheelers on the cheap and sellers end up upside down on a new one.

One guy I know has bought many vehicles and motorcycles on the cheap due to owners attempting repairs and giving up. This guy gas the tools but not the ability. All of those vehicles were either sold at a loss or ended up in the boneyard. He keeps trying....

Sometimes the simple repairs are not as simple as they appear. Some are easier.

If you have time, tools ability and patience, ( a service manual is worth its weight in gold), you can do it. If you are a guy who looks for a better, quicker way than the designers and engineers came up with, cutting corners can surface later, like 8.7 miles down a deserted road at sunset and heavy rain.