fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Why do you hunt ?
Why do you kill animals ?
Are you sadistic ?
Do you get a kick out of it ?
Is there an inner meaning to it ?
Do you do it to justify something ?
Many a questions have arose to these questions, I was just intrested on how you would answer someone.
Can you look them deep in the eye and answer without flintching ?
Do you think you have a right to do what your doing ?
Do you think about what your doing when it happens ?
Are you really a true woodsman ?
Do you really respect life, as you know it ?
Do you really beleive God give us the right to be above the animals we persue ?
Are we realy the stewarts of life ?
What do you hunt for ?
What do you do with what you take ?
Do you think answering these questions is nonsense, and refuse to ?
Do you take offence when folks ask you about hunting ?
Do you think archery is a humane way to take game animals ?
Do you just hunt for horns and not bother about the meat ?
Do you know folks that do the above ?
Do you agree with them ?
Do you archery hunt as another season just to bag a big buck ?
Oh my friends, please do not get angry, I am trying to justify what we do, to those that would take our freedoms away from us. I have posted a thread on the "Deer Hunting" Msg. Bd. Please feel free to read it, then come back here and see if this makes any sense at all. I assure you, it will. I merely wanted to see where your heart really stands. If you are where I believe you are, you are the purist of hunters here. Folks will sneer at times, purist, traditionalest, etc. but it is a feeling most folks will never feel. We are not better by no means at all ! We just do it for a very different reason, or so I feel ?
No it's not a ramble, it is indeed for a reason ! ;)
Here's the link;
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bal-op.bowhunting12sep12,0,3461151.story
Jerald Eyer

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Jerald,
Yes, your post makes perfect sense. But, sadly, here as well as the majority of hunters across the country want people to fight their battles for them. Your post on the Deer hunting board as well as on this one, has been read numerous times with no replies.
It's sad, that's the way it's going. "Hunters" read about people wanting to take their sport away, but if it doesn't effect them directly, they don't want to get involved.
Without going into to much of a rant, In the years to come, the battle for hunting rights will be fought in the south.
It's the last part of the country that hunting really means something to families through generations. By the time that battle comes, and people decide to get involved, it will already be lost.

Just my opinion.

Rick

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i posted a reply to the article. that was a sick, sad , article!!!
this is what i wrote :

this is a terrible one sided article from a sorely mislead person. i am a bowhunter and have personally harvested many animals with a bow and arrow. i feed my family with the game that i harvest. yes harvest , we are provided with a crop. this crop happens to be four legged !!! how many deer are crippled by Marylands cars ? maybe we should outlaw vehicles ? how many air maimed by our beloved family dogs ? maybe we should outlaw dogs ? an arrow is a quick, humane way to dispatch an animal. would you rather them starve to death or succumb to hemmoragic disease due to overpopulation or be eaten alive when they are no longer strong enough to fight or flee? my deer are honored and used for a God given purpose. my eyes face forward and my teeth are sharp, i was created a predator and am proud of it. if you don't hunt, fine, but please leave those of us who do alone !!!!

Last edited:

chinquapin

fflintlock,
I'll give this a shot.

I hunt for food and the satisfaction of being in nature. My Grandfather (Vernon Holt) bestowed the greatness of the an outdoors in me. It's what centers me after a hard week at the grind.

I kill animals for food! Not just to take a life of the animal I'm not a meat hunter. I'm not a if it's brown it's down man.

I'm not sadistic, The strong survive right, I'm THankful for every animal I take.

I do get a kickout of it because, I defeated him on his on turf. I'm not at home there, that's his home and I outsmarted him this time. That's because not alot of times do you outsmart him.

The inner meaning to me is being in nature. The woods are like ging to church for me. It's where I clear my head, can think straight and breathe easy. It's my escape from the world when I'm there I"m in God's place not in mans place with street lights and highways.

I do it for me and my family not to justify anything. Other than maybe help keep the population down. The justification for me is being in nature and seeing nature interact in this world.

I can look someone in the eye without a problem and tell them I have a right to hunt! It's my God given abililty, it's been going on since the beginning of time. Why should it stop now? I can survive and the people who ask these questions will starve. Their going to be the ones hurting if bad time like those ever arise. THen they'll be the ones beggin to have some meat that I have because I hunt, and that's when poetic justice occurs. I'd dhave to say weren't you the one that was bustin my chops cause I was hunting? THen just smile at them!!

You have to think about what your doing when it's happening. If not there are too many variables that can go wrong. You have to pay attention to the animals,wind,weather, and yourself. If you don't you may never make it back. Always be prepared, that's my motto I"m a Eagle Scout.

I am a true woodsman because I pay attention to nature and how it works. I don't leave any human garbage when I go and I always pickup garbage that someone else left. I don't leave flaggin inthe woods I don't even take flaggin I pay attention to where I'm going and how I can get back. My Grandfather taught me long time ago if you need flaggin to get to your stand you shouldn't be inthe woods. You should be able to find your stand in the dark. Use the tree tops against the skyline or the running of a creek whatever is around you become familar with it. I could survive if I had to with what the woods provide. I'm not the one who will loose there mind cause I'm in the woods alone. That's another reason why I shoot traditional brings me back to the beginning of how hunting should be. Man vs beast not beast vs technology.

I do respect life as we know it. IMO if you don't you'll get lost in this crazy world. There are way to many options of going down the wrong path these days. The ones who walk the right path and the ones who are trying their hardest to be on that path I salute you!! It's too easy to take the wrong path and get involved with things that can change your way of thinkin; as in addictions,not just drugs there are alot more things to make you stray. Those who are coming back from this path I have much respect for that cause it'a a hard road to hoe.

I do believe God has a plan for everything therefore I have no problem persuing the animals we take. We may not be above them though. Let's think about that, How much better are their senses than ours? ALOT BETTER if not their eyes, it's their nose, or their hearing much more intune than ours will ever be. We're on their turf they know when something is wrong they have a sixth sense. I am so thankful to be able to take an animal cause it's not an everyday thing for me. They bust me way more than I get the chance to take them.

I hunt to stay sane in this insane world. I hunt to provide food for my family. I hunt to help keep this world in check and not over ran with animals and disease that can spread through them. Most of all I hunt cause it's been a way of life for me since I could change the gears in my Gandpa's datsun. I was in the woods way before I could take a gun, tryin my hardest to take in a 1/4 of the knowledge he has about nature. If I could take in all that he has told me Icould write a book and it would never end.

I eat all the meat I take. I hate it when I walk up on a dead deer with just it's backstraps cut out and it's head cut off. Man that makes my blood boil what a waste. If I was to come upon someone in the process of just doing that I'd have to break their nose and then their gun or bow whatever their choice of weapon was. I tote around at least 10 gallon size ziplocs so if I do kill a deer way back in the mtns I can pack him/her out of there with all the meat. Why does anyone waste meat in which God has provided for you. I think it's because you want to play but you don't want to work when the playin is over isn't that all part of the process. It is for me anyways.

Answerin these questions isn't nonsense I bet if some people answered these question they would look at things alot differently. Maybe not though some have no ethics when it comes to hunting and that's a shame. I don't take offense in people askin me about hunting. I try my hardest to explain to them why I hunt and what it's about. Now when they can't respect my opinions and start getting ugly is when I have a problem. We all have different opinions in life and on life so RESPECT them.

Bowhunting is not an inhumane to hunt. It's all in shot placement. Don't take a shot that you know is pushing the envelope. Gun huntin IMO is the same way it's all about where the shot placement is. If you pull your shot or don't hit vitals that animal is going a long way.

I would love to take a big buck I don't shoot little ones. I have no urge to I'd rather let them get mature or even have a chance to get there. On the flipside I want shoot a little doe either. I will shoot a mature doe with no problems though and if your a woodsman you can tell the difference I don't care what anyone says about that. You can tell.
I don't agree with if it's brown it's down, Just not my style and it want ever be. Unless we're in times of starvation or extreme measures then you have to do what you have to to survive.

I hope I have answered these questions with the respect of all hunters. Feel free to bash them if you want. We can discuss how y'all feel doesn't matter to me. Hope I didn't offend anyone in the process I gave it my best shot anyways.

Ben

choctawlb

I think unfortunantly in todays society most people aren't deer hunting, they're deer shooting. Todays society is all about fast results and instant gratification. Fenced in hunting areas where you pay for instant success and weapons that you can just pick up, adjust, and then kill at great distances

. For me it is about being out in the Creators realm, away from the highways, housing projects, and urban sprall. If I am fortunante enough to actually harvest an animal, then it is just a gift from the Creator . It is about being able to compete, on a level playing field, with my quarry. If I am 200 yards away then he doesn't know I am around, if I am 15 yards away I have overcome him in his own enviroment. I have played fairly, and I have proven myself worthy of taking my prey.

Ken

Jamie Jainniney

Definitions

ACCORDING TO WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY:

Hunting - 1: the act of one that hunts; specifically : the pursuit of game

Harvesting - 1 a: to gather in (a crop) : reap b: to gather, catch, hunt, or kill (as salmon, oysters, or deer) for human use, sport, or population control c: to remove or extract (as living cells, tissues, or organs) from culture or from a living or recently deceased body especially for transplanting

Killing - 1 a: to deprive of life : cause the death of b (1): to slaughter (as a hog) for food (2): to convert a food animal into (a kind of meat) by slaughtering

These are the terms that we as "hunters" use. Some of us hunt animals, some harvest animals, and some kill animals, all these acts are the same, but sound very different. Regardless of the term we use, we need to make sure that we choose the right one to pick when talking to certain individuals.

FVR

Why do you hunt ? For food.

Why do you kill animals ? To eat them.

Are you sadistic ? I've been told that, but no.

Do you get a kick out of it ? The hunt yes, the kill no.

Is there an inner meaning to it ? Yes.

Do you do it to justify something ? Hunger pains & prim. ideals.

Many a questions have arose to these questions, I was just intrested on how you would answer someone.
Can you look them deep in the eye and answer without flintching ? Yes.

Do you think you have a right to do what your doing ?As long as it's legal.

Do you think about what your doing when it happens ? Yes.

Are you really a true woodsman ? I try to be.

Do you really respect life, as you know it ? Yes.

Do you really beleive God give us the right to be above the animals we persue ? Blah, blah, blah, they're food.

Are we realy the stewarts of life ? No.

What do you hunt for ? Food & prim. urge.

What do you do with what you take ? Eat the meat, tan the hides, use bones and antlers as tools, sinew bows.

Do you think answering these questions is nonsense, and refuse to ? I answered them.

Do you take offence when folks ask you about hunting ? No, not at all.

Do you think archery is a humane way to take game animals ? Yes.

Do you just hunt for horns and not bother about the meat ? MEAT! don't bother about horns.

Do you know folks that do the above ? Yes, alot on tv.

Do you agree with them ? No, buts as long as it's legal.

Do you archery hunt as another season just to bag a big buck ? LOL! What's a big buck?