HOW LONG TO YOUR HUNTING PROPERTY

Ace1313

@dwhee87 It is nice to get in there when they get the crops harvested. I haven't hunted it as much this season as they were late getting the cotton out. It is a pretty jam up spot as long as you have any kind of east wind

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Good stuff and this one is all over the place! I have an area I can be in a tree and an arrow nocked in less than a half hour, but that’s the closest.
Private property which is a friends house 45 minutes.
WMAs are from less than a half hour to the gate, then some are not quite an hour.
I feel like I don’t go far to hunt, but want to stretch out and hit some WMAs I’ve never been to.
The Kentucky, then Ohio hunt is the furthest and it’s six, then another 4 hrs away.
Arcadia trip in January is 8-9 hours! But I’ll see family and friends so it’s worth every minute of the drive!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Anything over 2 hours and I’m spending the night!

Deerhead

Two hour drive for me. Fortunately I have a camper with electric and water. I usually hunt two days and one night. As I am getting older I do not like to be away from the wife that long. Yeah I guess she is a keeper. The one exception, I enjoy hunting 10 days during the rut and not having to drive back and forth.

chrislibby88

5-10 minute walk out my back door. About 60 acres total. I own 20, and hunt the next door 40 that in-laws own. I also have 4 different wmas within 45 minutes of my house that I hunt regularly. Aaand have a 4 hour drive to the family camper in Blairsville that I use as base camp to hunt the public land in central north GA. I don’t day trip north GA. I only drive up if I am gonna hunt for several days in a row. Can’t imagine being more than an hour drive from a place to hunt.

Jim Boyd

I have not done it but the answer is:

Open the window.

I am about 1200 yards north of the house right now so maybe 3 minutes on SXS.

fullstrut

In a 600 acre club in South Olgelthorpe County which is 45 mins from my house. But just recently purchased 30 acres in north Olgelthorpe County where I can walk out the door and hunt some. So 25 mins travel between the properties once I move on the 30 acre tract. Looking forward to managing that small tract. Just depends on the other tracts around me and how they hunt. Learning curve on that piece.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Curious -
Those of you who own your land, about how much do you have?

pottydoc

One hundred yards out the back door. To the club in Junction City, 45 miles of two lane state hwy, 35-45 minutes going, unless I'm pulling a trailer. Coming home usually about an hour. I have a camp and camper there, but do a lot of all day drive by's as well.
25 minutes

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Curious -
Those of you who own your land, about how much do you have?

Two tracts, 140 acres total. 92 miles away and 2 hours approx depending on how much "cancer" is infesting the Downtown Connector.

Blackston

1 hr 15 mins (2 hrs with bad traffic) to club. I have a cabin tent set up with a queen mattress on a queen folding cot, electric run to it for a small space heater. Extra tarp draped over it traps heat well. Stays really comfy even below freezing and in rain in there.

I also hunt a few public spots that are up to 2 hrs one way from home.

I used to do day trips often. Still do occasionally (got my 3rd deer this year on a lazy day trip for just an evening sit at the club). Mostly, though, I go for multiple consecutive nights, usually weekends.

I might buy a camper one day but the cabin tent has worked great for a few seasons now.

Day trips are hard. The late night home return then the next day are usually just rough for me these days. I much prefer either PTO days and/or weekends staying at camp and hunting.
Got any pics of your camping set up