How long will deer and turkey hunting will survive in Early and Miller Co. Ga?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
35 years ago when our lease first began, we had about 2500 acres or woods surrounding our lease of 1000 acres. Eventually we added another 650, and 250 acres. Now we're back down to the original 100 acres. The 650 is cow pasture now. The 250 was bought and they wont lease to me. 125 acres we once had is cow pasture and crop farming. At one time we had wooded areas connecting all the way to the Chattahoochee river. Those connections are now very slim. In fact, for deer to come to us from other wooded areas, they must leap frog from one small wood lot to another. Of course at night many will strike out across open ground to shorten the trip. Now we hear cows mooing, phones ringing at some farm and dogs running all over the place. I get photo's of dogs with tracking collars, and the German Shepard in the photo. Was getting photos of a couple bull dogs, no colars. DNR is worried about the turkey population, they should be worried about loss of habitat.

Attachments

• a650tract.jpg
    a650tract.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 170
  • Thunderstorm turkeys .jpg
    Thunderstorm turkeys .jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 174
  • German sheppard.jpg
    German sheppard.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 176

slow motion

Sorry for the loss of your land you hunted on. Been through it a few times. You lose a little bit of yourself each time it happens.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Old property owners pass on, their land is divided and sold. That's what has happened around us the last ten years. Many family members who get some of the land, don't care about keeping it. They want the money. Only thing saving our hunt club is the timber co. They have planted, thinned, clear cut in parcels and replanted. They have worried me though, our property has changed timber companies about five times since I've had it. Our property is sometimes flooded, then sometimes it's dry as a bone. There's no happy in between

Attachments

• boxontwo.jpg
    boxontwo.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 70
  • down3rd.jpg
    down3rd.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Road one when clear cut 13 years ago.jpg
    Road one when clear cut 13 years ago.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 73

chrislibby88

Sounds like my land. Me (and my wife’s family) own some woods and old fields that are overgrown surrounded by houses, large ag fields, and roads. There are “rivers” of woods that run through the fields and behind the houses and along the hwys. We have tons of deer. The deer will be fine in the broken habitat, they thrive with the edges, thick wood lots, and green ag fields. Unfortunately this is terrible turkey habitat. We have a few birds hanging on, but not enough to responsibly hunt.
I use public land for turkey hunting, and supplemental deer hunting so I don’t overhunt, or over sit, my land.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Son it ain’t just Early and Miller counties. The counties that haven’t been divided or going thru similar changes are few and far in between. I’ve seen WMA Borders change over the last few years……some increase and some decrease, but changes are on the way. As a total public land hunter, I’ve seen my own adventure change direction several times. We all adapt wether or not we want to.

Carroll county is the same way. The county’s property taxes have got so high that almost all of the timber companies land has been sold to developers. They tax all the larger tracts of land so much that nobody can afford it. They started taxing me for atv trails on my raw land, saying that it was site improvement.

Gbr5pb

Cherokee too! No one can afford to pay taxes on larger tracts anything big enough for hunting will be divided and sold to developers

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Carroll county is the same way. The county’s property taxes have got so high that almost all of the timber companies land has been sold to developers. They tax all the larger tracts of land so much that nobody can afford it. They started taxing me for atv trails on my raw land, saying that it was site improvement.
Douglas has gotten to be terrible as well. All my family land has been sold due to the outrageous property taxes. The wife and I were looking in to Carroll or Heard county but I'm under the impression that that is going to be a no go at this point as well.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Between the Hooch River Swamp and Big Pond, there will always be good hunting in Early County .

Douglas has gotten to be terrible as well. All my family land has been sold due to the outrageous property taxes. The wife and I were looking in to Carroll or Heard county but I'm under the impression that that is going to be a no go at this point as well.
If I was you I would be looking in Alabama that’s where I’m looking for land at now. I had thought about heard county but all the development from Carroll and Coweta county is headed that way.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
If I was you I would be looking in Alabama that’s where I’m looking for land at now. I had thought about heard county but all the development from Carroll and Coweta county is headed that way.
Yes sir that is the plan