How long will deer and turkey hunting will survive in Early and Miller Co. Ga?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Man is his own worse enemy. He just keeps on taxing and regulating until he can't afford to do or own anything. I threw some tea in Lake Seminole and it didn't change one thing. Nothing stays the same except death and taxes. Death is final, taxes are forever.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Carroll county is the same way. The county’s property taxes have got so high that almost all of the timber companies land has been sold to developers. They tax all the larger tracts of land so much that nobody can afford it. They started taxing me for atv trails on my raw land, saying that it was site improvement.

Most timber companies are paying pennies on the dollar on their land due to being in FLPA. They are selling because the market is bringing more for land than the timber is.

rstallings1979

Maybe..just maybe...the developments stay in and around Atlanta. I was in the area a couple of weeks ago. I could not wait to get out...traffic was horrible and crime is skyrocketing as well.

LETMGRO

Son….Hate it that you’re on the wrong side of the land exchange. It happens everywhere. I grew up in Damascus. The family farm has been cut in half like most of them have. From what I’ve seen, land, that’s been in a family (who no longer want it or invest in it) for generations, is sold to someone with new interest in it. Many times the new owner invests in improvements that help the critters. Other times, they take all the land has and leave it with little to build from.
Like Nic said….The Hooch and Big Pond (my backyard as a kid)….and don’t forget about the Spring Creek swamps….will always hold large populations of animals. Thankfully, they’re on opposite ends of the county and will always seed the remaining parts. Our farm has more turkeys and deer than ever and the neighbors have changed 3 times in 20 years.

Most timber companies are paying pennies on the dollar on their land due to being in FLPA. They are selling because the market is bringing more for land than the timber is.
I’ve bought 2 different tracts of land in Carroll county from Forestar timber and they told me that the taxes was the reason they were selling off all their land in ga. I’ve also looked back at the tax records that they were paying and in the late 90’s it started climbing more each year.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
If I have 60 acres and I pay a 1000 a year. That’s 16 a acre plus some change.
Folks would think I’m crazy to ask that just to pay my taxes.

earlyspur

Turkey wont be around in that part of the world much longer in huntable populations. There will be pockets of birds where timber is still suitable, but Michael has destroyed what open timber southern Early County had. Deer are out of control around Damascus now with all of the thicket created from the Hurricane. Ultimately somebody said it best a few post up. Hunting will survive, but the days of expansive contiguous leases are nearly dead and gone. If that's the way you like to hunt, I'm afraid you will have to change or hang it up.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
That is my Uncle William Davis. Taken during the War, and I`m trying to find out if he survived. From what I know so far, he wasn`t anybody to fool with.

Just found out a few minutes ago some information on him, that if it was William Davis, he was killed on this day, July 3, 1863, at Gettysburg. Ironic to find this out on this day.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Turkey wont be around in that part of the world much longer in huntable populations. There will be pockets of birds where timber is still suitable, but Michael has destroyed what open timber southern Early County had. Deer are out of control around Damascus now with all of the thicket created from the Hurricane. Ultimately somebody said it best a few post up. Hunting will survive, but the days of expansive contiguous leases are nearly dead and gone. If that's the way you like to hunt, I'm afraid you will have to change or hang it up.
Did some work in Arlington the other day for a farmer, seems y’all are getting a solar farm down that way. I almost ran over a clutch of turkeys on nickelsville road off of 216. Saw a few deer as well.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Now imagine on that 1,000 acres 1,500 houses had been built. That’s what we get a little farther north.