Hunting with "little" cartridges...

175rltw

BANNED
I don’t know. Ina world where “small cartridges or whatever” are the same as “big cartridges at 250 yards” I am not sure what there is to talk about. I mean. We’ve been killing deer and everything else with 223 and up cartridges since forever - but today… there’s a little bit of concern as to whether or not they’ll do it.

I don’t know guys. But good luck.

I do like this discussion better than the archery version which is the bow I bought in 2021 makes .023 more decibels upon release than the new one- but is 13fps faster. I already know I lost a buck last year due to the noise…”
Ones

What world are y’all hunting in that the cartridge is the limiting factor? Seriously? I mean we have people in this very thread claiming that a 123 grain projectile that is 264 thousandths of an inch is small in one context but are making a big deal about it not being small in another context. What gives?

Edit- turns out that all manner of projectiles up to and in some cases over 1/3 of an inch in diameter - launched at supersonic speeds from either straight or bottle neck cartridges constitute “small cartridges”in this conversation and yet… some are able to truly ID the small ones. “Sir- would suggest that cartridge you are sporting looks like a button on a fur coat. Yo must be relying on “shot placement to… cement your legacy…”

Nice.

Last edited:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I'll see your 123 and go 140. 6.5 Needmore et ::ke:
20231128_073014.jpg

AjaDog

Ok I'm new here, your small bullet article caught my attention, just this past Sunday a big ole doe on my 75 yd corn pile off my front porch, my .223 already set up on its bipod and my sand sock under the stock, as I set down on my barstool chair at my rifle on a bench I built, putting the scope to my eye a perfect easy kill shot, my European German Shepherd ( Aja ) is her name pronounced Asia, any way she has picked up on her own how to track deer, as I aim the rifle, about a inch behind the front shoulder, and a little shy of half mass, a heart shot all day long, the doe is standing broad side, I squeeze the trigger, as soon as the rifle cracked, there she goes, Aja off the porch headed to the corn pile, when I shot through the scope I saw the deer knocked off her feet on her side, 1st time in my life ever seeing a small caliber cartridge do that, but she got back up, tail between her legs, a very low posture, and kicked the after burners in, Aja is already on the scene, smelling the corn and she heads in the direction of the deer, I get there, no blood no hair, just marks on the ground where she fell, and hoof marks for about 10 to 20 ft, Aja, tracked for about 20 yds maybe 30, and she stopped, she lost the scent, but also there were deer trails very well used, I think she got confused with the deer trails and the smell from them, me and my dog hunted all of my woods, all day, every square ft , no deer, I don't know what happened, anymore have a clue? Did I miss no I knocked her down, I don't know,

WOODIE13

Ok I'm new here, your small bullet article caught my attention, just this past Sunday a big ole doe on my 75 yd corn pile off my front porch, my .223 already set up on its bipod and my sand sock under the stock, as I set down on my barstool chair at my rifle on a bench I built, putting the scope to my eye a perfect easy kill shot, my European German Shepherd ( Aja ) is her name pronounced Asia, any way she has picked up on her own how to track deer, as I aim the rifle, about a inch behind the front shoulder, and a little shy of half mass, a heart shot all day long, the doe is standing broad side, I squeeze the trigger, as soon as the rifle cracked, there she goes, Aja off the porch headed to the corn pile, when I shot through the scope I saw the deer knocked off her feet on her side, 1st time in my life ever seeing a small caliber cartridge do that, but she got back up, tail between her legs, a very low posture, and kicked the after burners in, Aja is already on the scene, smelling the corn and she heads in the direction of the deer, I get there, no blood no hair, just marks on the ground where she fell, and hoof marks for about 10 to 20 ft, Aja, tracked for about 20 yds maybe 30, and she stopped, she lost the scent, but also there were deer trails very well used, I think she got confused with the deer trails and the smell from them, me and my dog hunted all of my woods, all day, every square ft , no deer, I don't know what happened, anymore have a clue? Did I miss no I knocked her down, I don't know,
She trained to track? Specifically?

EUROPEAN German Shepherd ::ke:

Last edited:

wm742

I shot a doe with 200gr hornidy out of a .35 at about 20 yards one time. knocked her up hill and down.
2 weeks later someone on the same property killed a doe that had a hole in its upper shoulder that at that point was a closed wound.
Some how I only got meat.

WOODIE13

I shot a doe with 200gr hornidy out of a .35 at about 20 yards one time. knocked her up hill and down.
2 weeks later someone on the same property killed a doe that had a hole in its upper shoulder that at that point was a closed wound.
Some how I only got meat.
Happens

AjaDog

She trained to track? Specifically?

EUROPEAN German Shepherd ::ke:
I didn't train her she picked it up on her own going to the kill spots and smelling blood and seeing the dead deer, really she is a super magnificent dog I raise and breed high end German shepherds, she is 3rd generation out of my kennels I did have 8 dogs now only have 6, 4 females and 2 males, they are a handful doing it by myself, and 12 acres of land,

Attachments

• IMG_20231127_150332253.jpg
    IMG_20231127_150332253.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231127_150305316.jpg
    IMG_20231127_150305316.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 9

jNick

I have this coming for Christmas for my 9 yr old. I’ve been reading up on it. 6.5 Creedmore looks very impressive compared to my .308. Can’t wait to try it on one while he’s at school. Lol

Attachments

• 7033F837-BA27-4F26-B048-F76F2457B5B7.png
    7033F837-BA27-4F26-B048-F76F2457B5B7.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 25

furtaker

I killed one with a 300blk, I wasn't impressed, it will do the job if bullet placement is correct, but nothing dramatic, it just doesn't have enough energy to make impressive dead in its tracks shots, I was using 125gr ballistic tips, I quit using it after that kill, I still have one, but not for hunting, considering a 300 hammer, but in reality its only a couple hundred fps faster, maybe slightly more than that , but still , not particularly impressive
The bullet looks as big as the case. The 300blk reminds me of an ant trying to carry a watermelon.

WOODIE13

I didn't train her she picked it up on her own going to the kill spots and smelling blood and seeing the dead deer, really she is a super magnificent dog I raise and breed high end German shepherds, she is 3rd generation out of my kennels I did have 8 dogs now only have 6, 4 females and 2 males, they are a handful doing it by myself, and 12 acres of land,
We did buy trips for the military K9s, Germany, Czech Republic, etc., a lot better quality and caliber of dogs, (GSD, malinois and Dutch shepherds).

My lab tracked his first this year, but he's used to tracking ducks and geese, so he had some practice.

AjaDog

We did buy trips for the military K9s, Germany, Czech Republic, etc., a lot better quality and caliber of dogs, (GSD, malinois and Dutch shepherds).

My lab tracked his first this year, but he's used to tracking ducks and geese, so he had some practice.
I love that she does it, the only thing I can foresee could go wrong would be if she goes way way off, another hunter would mistake her for a large coyote, IMG_20231127_150305316.jpgIMG_20231127_150305316.jpg
The bullet looks as big as the case. The 300blk reminds me of an ant trying to carry a watermelon.
I have no idea how this phone sent those pics to you but anyway she is my tracking dog, found every deer but 1, her name is Aja, but back to the bullet talk, the 300 black out, I would be Leary of even using that weapon as home defense inside the house, I had this friend bought one that's all I heard for 2 weeks, I kept telling him bring the thing to my house and let's see, now I know nothing about this cartridge or anything just thought some how similar to a 300 WM, like mine, boy was i in for a surprise, I have a nice gun range from my gate all the way down the driveway to my target burm, marked off in 50 yd increments, to 350 yds, my zero bench is exactly 104 yds, that **** thing wouldn't even make it to the paper, literally, it would hit the sand 20 ft shy of the board, I was dumb founded,

Attachments

• IMG_20231127_150332253.jpg
    IMG_20231127_150332253.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:

transfixer

I love that she does it, the only thing I can foresee could go wrong would be if she goes way way off, another hunter would mistake her for a large coyote, View attachment 1273116View attachment 1273116

I have no idea how this **** phone sent those pics to you but anyway she is my tracking dog, found every deer but 1, her name is Aja, but back to the bullet talk, the 300 black out, I would be Leary of even using that weapon as home defense inside the house, I had this friend bought one that's all I heard for 2 weeks, I kept telling him bring the **** thing to my house and let's see, now I know nothing about this cartridge or anything just thought some how similar to a 300 WM, like mine, boy was i in for a surprise, I have a nice gun range from my gate all the way down the driveway to my target burm, marked off in 50 yd increments, to 350 yds, my zero bench is exactly 104 yds, that **** thing wouldn't even make it to the paper, literally, it would hit the sand 20 ft shy of the board, I was dumb founded,

if it hit shy of the target at 100yds that was due to his zero , not the cartridge, my 16in .300blk was zeroed at 100yds and I could easily ring a 10in gong at 200yds holding on center of gong, I even had my 10.5 in barreled .300blk zeroed at 50 dead on and could easily hit the 100yd target, that was using both 125gr and 150gr rounds

buckpasser

300blk with the proper bullet selection is plenty deadly on deer. If I had to choose between .223 and blk for hunting it’s a no brainer for the blk.

AjaDog

if it hit shy of the target at 100yds that was due to his zero , not the cartridge, my 16in .300blk was zeroed at 100yds and I could easily ring a 10in gong at 200yds holding on center of gong, I even had my 10.5 in barreled .300blk zeroed at 50 dead on and could easily hit the 100yd target, that was using both 125gr and 150gr rounds
Well I bore sighted it should of been hitting paper, just splashes in the sand, I don't know I burnt up almost 2 boxes of ammo I got it in the red but the thing had such a short barrel, I told the dude you wasted your money on that

WOODIE13

I always start shooting at 25 yds, bore sighted or not.

Watched a guy burn 3 boxes of 257 Roberts trying to zero a scope at a 100 yds that was bore sighted.

B. White

Either a bore sight issue or something wrong with the optic/mounts. I'm not a big 300 blk fan for anything other than fun, but have one and with the little 10.5" barrel it shoots pretty good like I'd expect any cartridge to.

I bore sighted a new rifle a few weeks ago, meaning I looked down the bore at a piece of paper 150 yds and adjusted scope. Took lots of time to make sure paper was in the center of the bore and I wasn't moving anything while making adjustments. I was 6-8 in high at 50 yds on the first shot. I've had better luck with that method than any bore sight gadgets. I would have moved it back to 20 or 25 or less to figure out what was going on, had it not been on paper.

AjaDog

300blk with the proper bullet selection is plenty deadly on deer. If I had to choose between .223 and blk for hunting it’s a no brainer for the blk.
Well not being sarcastic or ugly, if the 300BLK why doesn't our military use that particular weapon, or should I say cartridge I like using weapons that are chambered in NATO cartridges simply for the fact availability of ammo, the 300 WM, what a cannon the down fall with that rifle 1000 to 1500 rounds through it time for a new barrel, your rifling is destroyed, any way maybe dude had a warped barrel on his 300 BLK but hey nice to chat with you, thanks for replying

transfixer

Well not being sarcastic or ugly, if the 300BLK why doesn't our military use that particular weapon, or should I say cartridge I like using weapons that are chambered in NATO cartridges simply for the fact availability of ammo, the 300 WM, what a cannon the down fall with that rifle 1000 to 1500 rounds through it time for a new barrel, your rifling is destroyed, any way maybe dude had a warped barrel on his 300 BLK but hey nice to chat with you, thanks for replying

The .300blk is used by special units in the military, using subsonic ammunition with suppressors, mainly in CQB and covert missions, the cartridge was originally developed for use as a subsonic easily suppressed round, it has its limitations, but is an excellent round for certain situations, and is capable of very good accuracy as well, the 16in barreled AR I had would consistently put 125gr ballistic tips and btsp's into a 1 to 1 1/4in group at 100yds off a sandbag rest