Hunting with "little" cartridges...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have honestly killed 3x as many deer with .50 and .54 open-sighted traditional muzzleloaders than I have all my modern centerfires combined.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Popular deer rifles and cartridges go through phases. Years ago belted magnums were the thing. Then short, fat magnums were cool. Now smaller cartridges and 6.5s in ARs and lightweight bolt rifles are the fad. It will be something else before long.

Lotta truth in this post...

And I can't wait to see what that "something" will be.

If it hadn't been for my Grandboys, I probably wouldn't have given much thought to any of it.

.308 and '06 will always be there, no matter what else comes and goes ....

sghoghunter

You'll have no problem with the .300bo , I'd just try to keep the bullet weights in the 110-125 range, for the velocity, I've only taken one with a .300bo, using 125gr ballistic tips, one of the few deer I didn't try a high shoulder shot on, opting for center lungs instead, as I wasn't sure how the bullet would hold up, it dumped him within about 40yds,

The Grendel should be a fine choice, its a good bit faster than the 300bo, bullet weights about the same, I would have bought one a few years back but ammo wasn't real easy to find then, not sure about now ?

Grendal ammo is still tough to find the decent stuff

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Popular deer rifles and cartridges go through phases. Years ago belted magnums were the thing. Then short, fat magnums were cool. Now smaller cartridges and 6.5s in ARs and lightweight bolt rifles are the fad. It will be something else before long.
And there still ain't a better all-around rifle than the .30-06. :)

Dirtroad Johnson

A couple years ago a gentleman that was at Jerry's gun shop in Ambrose Ga was talking about tracking & tracking dogs, he was on a tracking dog list & said the majority of his calls were from deer shot with 6.5 creedmoor. I do know that shot placement is king. I'm still that ol 30-06 guy. I do have a 223 but I've never taken it to deer hunt with.

Waddams

I've never had one not drop in place from my 243. I'm sure it will happen one day but so far I've managed to hit the CNS every time I've squeezed, out to almost 200 yards. I've not been hunting but for 4-5 years though and if I don't think I can make the shot, I don't shoot. Shot placement, I don't think I'd shoot longer than 250 with my rifle (my eyes are the limiter, not the rifle), good ammo, and the right scenario. If I ever take that western hunting trip, I'll get a 270/308/30-06 (probably based on what's cheapest on the wall at the gun shop) and spend $$$ on the glass for it. Where I get to hunt in Georgia, though, I'll not have a place to see farther to need a bigger round.

B. White

A couple years ago a gentleman that was at Jerry's gun shop in Ambrose Ga was talking about tracking & tracking dogs, he was on a tracking dog list & said the majority of his calls were from deer shot with 6.5 creedmoor. I do know that shot placement is king. I'm still that ol 30-06 guy. I do have a 223 but I've never taken it to deer hunt with.

Could be the same phenomenon as when I sold sporting goods stuff 40 something years ago. We had more folks needing parts for Mitchell reels than anything else and kept plenty in stock. As a youngster I had decided they were junk, but when you consider the amount sold and in use at that time the failure rate was probably pretty low.

There have been a ton of 6.5 CM rifles sold the past few years and probably bought by a lot of folks who would need a tracking dog with any caliber.

Deer aren't hard to kill. I have killed a lot with an 06, but have killed them with a CM and Grendel. The Grendel is not close to the CM and the two shouldn't be used as a comparison. I bought a Grendel at the time because I didn't have an AR and didn't want to own anything I couldn't feel comfortable hunting with that used lighter bullets. The Grendel filled the gap for my use at the time and I wouldn't have any problems with grandkids hunting with it.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Hunted with a 30.06 since I was 15, shoot a lot of deer and lost a couple. Saw deer lost with 7mm and 300 mags, it's going to happen.

I will tell you this that my savage axis 6.5 CM puts them DRT, toss a bear in the mix as well. Lite weight, no recoil, but it likes certain weight bullets, 140 and up, shoots berger HP just like federal fusion and ELDX, the lighter bullets, Hornady 129 grain deer season were all over the place. Could be throat space, but my buddies have the same issue with theirs.

Grandkids have killed every deer they have shot with a 222 and 22 hornet, put it behind the shoulder and the insides are fried. A lot of friends hunt with a 22-250 and 243, never no complaints

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Hunted with a 30.06 since I was 15, shoot a lot of deer and lost a couple. Saw deer lost with 7mm and 300 mags, it's going to happen.

I will tell you this that my savage axis 6.5 CM puts them DRT, toss a bear in the mix as well. Lite weight, no recoil, but it likes certain weight bullets, 140 and up, shoots berger HP just like federal fusion and ELDX, the lighter bullets, Hornady 129 grain deer season were all over the place. Could be throat space, but my buddies have the same issue with theirs.

Grandkids have killed every deer they have shot with a 222 and 22 hornet, put it behind the shoulder and the insides are fried. A lot of friends hunt with a 22-250 and 243, never no complaints

Yep. Two words that are of utmost importance.

Bullet placement.

transfixer

There have been a ton of 6.5 CM rifles sold the past few years and probably bought by a lot of folks who would need a tracking dog with any caliber.

This ^^^^ , there are people in this world who will never understand,, its not about the caliber or the bullet, not nearly as much as " where you put the bullet"

I'm pretty confident I can take my .243 and put full metal jacket projectiles in it, and put a deer down in its tracks with one shot, cause I'm going to put it right through its spine at the top of the shoulder ! if I can't hit that spot cause the deer is moving around too much, or something is in the way,, I'm not taking the shot ! plain and simple

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
My Uncle had that very gun in 30 06. Game Master 760 I believe? It was a good gun. Only centerfire rifle he ever owned.
Yes Sir, it is.
Bought in new in 1989 and I have owned and sold/traded many a deer rifle, but that one will be given to my grandson one day.

It has but a heap of venison and pork in the freezer the last 34 years.