I need your advice -- Property Line hunter, and I'm in his line of fire!

frankwright

Is the other guys stand a permanent stand? If it is every Friday night I would go to the all "you can eat buffet" at the local mexican resturant. Then well before daylight,every Saturday, I would visit his stand for a few minutes to leave him a symbol of our friendship!He will get the hint in two weeks or less.

letsgohuntin

Me too...

Opening weekend I had the same problem, except I was the other guy.
I am on a new lease, and found a dandy spot for my stand. On the other property in a cut out section between two stands of pines there was an old obviously abandoned tower stand. All through bow season I kept an eye on it to see if it was being fixed up for gun season. It never was touched,so I went to my stand on the pm opening day. As I was walking in I see a brand new tower stand and the clearing plowed up for I assume a food plot. They "moved in" at the very last minute. The stand was about 200 yards from me.

My stand was in a possible line of fire, but there were plenty of trees between us that I didn't feel a bullet could reach me. I did at least place my stand so my back was to the tree between us just in case. That evening, sure enough he shot three times, and I did hear a bullet cutting through
the trees. Im sure he didn't even know I was any where near him.

Being I was the new guy and his setup was a permanant stand over a plot, I elected to move on down the creek and put plenty of timber between us.
I thought about just relocating my stand in the same area, but even the slightest chance of being hit by a stray bullet is just to big of a risk to take.

I never even argued or pleaded my case for "my" spot because I was there first (at least this season) I kept it simple and just conceeded the area to him.I just hung some large pieces of surveying tape along the line, hoping he would realize we were now hunting the property.

Anyways, my point is too bad he wouldn't do the same for you. ;)

bilgerat

Senior
I heard a story the other day about a guys club that had the same problem, the stand was not only on the property line, it was in sight of their camp! they had a few too many cocktails one night and moved the stand to a tree at the neighbors gate. they got a visit from the guy that owned the stand and he was about 6'6' 360lbs! they denied knowing any thing about it but man what a funny story! :bounce:

GA DAWG

I have had this happen to me before.Had a nieghboring hunter plainly tell me he would shoot a biggun on are side if he seen it.So I told him I would do the same and I hunted lots during the week so he would never know if I did.I found 1 stand that was right on the fenced property line looking my way.He had me cut off bad as it was in a beding area.So I went that day and bought a stand and hung it about 3 trees from his facing his property.Then I see him again and hes complaining wanting to know who hung it that close to his.I told him that it was me and I was gonna shoot one of these property line deer.Well he backed off the line.Have not had any trouble since then.My stand is still there in plan sight,but now facing our property.I've never even hunted out of it.I just use it as a decoy.

duke13

I think there are a lot of good "sabotage" type ideas here that I need to remember! :bounce:

But i would have a talk with the guy first. I don't have a problem with hunting close to lines, i think sometimes some of the best hunting is there. In this case there is a safety issue but only if he shoots across the property line. Then it also becomes a legal issue. Actually i think he is in more danger than you are Delton cause you will be legally shooting in his direction. Can you see each others boxes enough to tell if someone is hunting in them? I think you 2 need to talk and see how reasonable each of you can be. Maybe take a portable this weekend and climb a tree next to his and you can have a nice little discussion all morning! :whip:

My other suggestion is this, I know you have put a lot of work into your box and food plot but why put it right at the property line? ::huh: Next year(if possible) move it to the interior of your property. That is where you want to draw the deer anyway.

sgsjr

Banned
I have taken the deer carcass remains after we clean them and threw them out at the stand under discussion, on my side of course. After a few smelly weeks, he will move on.

Walkie Takie

sorry line hunters

Dalton, take the high land , don't let that sorry line hunter shoot your way he doesn't care about you or your property ( he only care's about him self ( that why he's hunting your , your food plot , your time and your money ) no work or time or money for him , just shooting your deer when your not there , I would take my Q beam light w/ me in the moring and let him know I'am there and he better not even point that gun my way , have your cell phone w/ you and call the DNR or local cops , don't let him run you off of your plot .///////// w/t

sweet 16

Property line

I have put a large Posted sign directly in front of Property Line stands. In direct view of the directions he's facing. Good Luck, I know you have worked hard in fetting your place set up.

slow-man

Same Problem, This is where I am now.

Man,
I have the same problem with my neighbor.

I ask him to turn his stand the other direction since I ride my children on a road on my property with a four wheeler. He said, "He would think about it."
Never turned the stand and now I stay out of about 50 acres of property because I am concerned he will shoot in our direction.

Met my neighbor on the front road two weeks ago and told him I would be riding my children and to please not shoot into our property. My neighbor said not to worry he wouldn't be shootin today!

Last Saturday I showed up and my neighbor had taken a bulldozer and cleared a section of my property down to the dirt. I lost the surveying corner, trees,and everything.

How about that.

If anyone has any advice let me know.

By the way: Proceed with caution.

GeauxLSU

slow-man said:
Last Saturday I showed up and my neighbor had taken a bulldozer and cleared a section of my property down to the dirt. I lost the surveying corner, trees,and everything.
OK, I hope I'm fairly easy to get along with when it comes to personal dealings but why on earth would you put up with something like that?!?! The guy trespasses ON YOUR property and DAMAGED YOUR PROPERTY! Or am I misreading what you typed?
I'd have the sheriff out there and my neighbor would be planting something that I wanted to control the erosion problem he's created. If he took out big hardwoods he'd have a REAL problem. :banginghe
To me that's no different than him doing that in your front yard. :mad: ::huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Hambone

Ditto Phil !!

Slow-man, somebody would've just gotten into a hornets nest if they'd done that to my property!! :mad:

I always remember what somebody told me, "If you let somebody take advantage of you . . . . . . they will".

Don't let this guy get away with this !!!!!!!!!

Dog Hunter

GeauxLSU said:
OK, I hope I'm fairly easy to get along with when it comes to personal dealings but why on earth would you put up with something like that?!?! The guy trespasses ON YOUR property and DAMAGED YOUR PROPERTY! Or am I misreading what you typed?
I'd have the sheriff out there and my neighbor would be planting something that I wanted to control the erosion problem he's created. If he took out big hardwoods he'd have a REAL problem. :banginghe
To me that's no different than him doing that in your front yard. :mad: ::huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
I could not stand for this. Someone would be doing something about this right away.

GeauxLSU

slow-man said:
Man,
I ask him to turn his stand the other direction since I ride my children on a road on my property with a four wheeler. He said, "He would think about it."
Never turned the stand and now I stay out of about 50 acres of property because I am concerned he will shoot in our direction.
Slow-man,
I notice this is your first post (Welcome! :clap: ) and I know you didn't come on here to get blasted and that is certainly no one's intent. But from that post, your 'neighbor' has basically STOLEN your property from you! You admit you no longer use 50 acres and now he's gotten so brazen he's just helping himself to making 'improvements' to YOUR PROPERTY that he now uses! If you need some help, let us know. I'm sure many folks would be more than happy to assist. But as mentioned, I'd have been on the phone with the sheriff and yes probably an attorney, YESTERDAY. ::huh:
I don't even own 50 acres, but the day I do (hopefully soon), rest assured no 'neighbor' is going to deny me my enjoyment or use of it. :mad:
Please keep us posted.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Larry Rooks

Nick
If I still had that bad boy it would ::gone: Before my shoulder got to soar I used it to chop wood and clear trails if it was too big for a Bush Hog. :p 510 gr bullet centered up in a 4X4 leg, the 4X4 lost EVERY time :bounce: I got it from a man in a wheel chair, his family got tired of having to stand him and the chair back up every time he shot it, (NO FUN INTENDED--TRUTH) My wife thought it would make a good gift and bought it for me, must have been getting tired of me or something, that thing really kicked :( Still got some ammo but rebarrleed the action to 270 Weatherby :clap:

Handgunner

Thanks for the responses gents. After reading them, and thinking about it long and hard last night, here are my plans.

We're going over there this evening to plant "our" food plot... :banginghe :rolleyes:

While there, I'm going to tack a note to his stand and ask him to get in touch with me. I'll also tack a few "No Trespassing" signs to the trees, along the firebreak... So when he's sitting in his stand, he'll be reading one. I'll put three or four up about 30-50yards apart all down that fence line so there is no doubt in his mind the he is looking onto someone elses property.

I know he's doing nothing illegal. But from an ethical stand point, or just respect, he's all out of whack. No way would I do that to someone intentionally.

As for sabotaging his stand. I'll not. One, I'm not that way. Two, start trouble, get trouble. I don't know the guy, and I'm not sure of his capabilities. All I know is that my great Uncle, who's 88, that owns the land don't need anyone causing him problems.

No deer is worth that.

So, I'll start out being nice and play fair. If that gets me no results and I catch the guy shooting a deer off my food plot, the law/DNR will be called and we'll go from there. If I find any sign of tresspasing, I'll call the law and make a report.

If all else fails and I can't win, I'll have the foodplot plowed under...

Deer adjust. After a while, they'll be onto him and enter the field from further down, or up.

My advantage to this set up, is I enter the stand from a road along the edge of a field. I can be in my stand without distubing much. This guy has to walk/ride a firebreak through 2 creeks and the bedding area to hunt this spot. I'm thinking he'll do himself more harm than good... But he'll also be busting the bedding area as he enters/exits.

So, I guess time will tell. This evening while there, I'll snap some pictures and show y'all his set up, and where my stand is in relation to his...

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep y'all updated.

Tom Borck

Banned
Ask him to hang a white towel, sign or something on his stand that would indicate that he is hunting.

Deer is not worth risking your life!

BTW, why would he be shooting onto your property? Maybe I missed something, but the red line is the prop. line and he should not be hunting your food plots.

Handgunner

Dog Hunter said:
Might better be careful. Won't this / Con't this be considered trespassing???
Yes it can. So I might just wrap the note around a rock and toss it over towards his stand and hope he finds it... ;)

Handgunner

Tom Borck said:
BTW, why would he be shooting onto your property? Maybe I missed something, but the red line is the prop. line and he should not be hunting your food plots.

Tom, his stand is only a couple yards from the property line, looking into my field food plot. He's got his back to 1000+ acres, but he's facing to where he's only has about 10 yards of his land to watch, and about 5-10 acres of my field, plots, oaks, etc....

Not saying he "would" shoot over into my plot, but the way his set up is, he could very easily do so if the opportunity arose....

Latest posts