"live from the tree" bubba and jt from southern il

XJfire75

Congrats on the doe! BACK STRAPS!!

Get after em boys. Good luck!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Well I dropped the ball yesterday eve and left my phone @ the house and then had a bunch of folks come in town (stand hanging and new cooler built gawkin party!) And just didn't get around to an update. :(

Good thing is that yesterday eve was a bust in all ways...well except that we were in the woods. Every stand we had in mind either the wind was wrong or to shifty or the farmer was messing around or something. Then when we finally did get something picked out, we couldn't find 2 trees close enough for filming and then bubba couldn't get but about 8 ft off the ground and on and on and on. Ended up seeing 2 does and yeah they busted us while setting up!

Ok that's over with...

Its now 50 degrees and I'm sittin out back drinkin a fine cup of coffee. Waitin on bubba to roll out of the sack. Will update from tree if I can.

Talk with yall soon

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Thx gator:bounce:

Day 2. We are back in the same camera setup as yesterday morn. We came back here cause yesterday eve they cut 1000 acres of corn around this lil woodlot and the deer were piling in here from the combine.

Its cooler @ 50 and the breeze is light (won't say that again this year!) @ about 5 from the N.

I am behind the camera again and am hoping to catch bubba with a 190 or so on film.

We will only be in for a couple of hours this morn because of the stand hanging that has to happen today.

Will check in soon, yall keep em crossed!!!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Well maybe it was squirrels that the combines ran in here cause we are slap covered up with em. The hickrys are dropping so fast and hard its gettin kinda dangerous...although I would love to see one crack bubba on the skull :D

So far nothin, but man what a fine morning! If it was 20 degrees colder life would be good, but thisll work

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Just had a solid 140s 10 come through @ about 60 yards. I couldn't get the cam on him cause of the understory, but nice buck to look @ anyway.

To help with the foots folks:p

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZXJyeS9waWN0dXJlcy9JTUcwMDQ4MS5qcGc.jpg

ultramag

Congratulations on the backstrap Bubba:banana:
When they cut that corn if its anything like around here JT they will piling out into that corn this evening...Good luck yall ..kill a good one Bubba:cool:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Thx jerry! We can only hope to live up to yalls midwest killin this year!!!

Bubba says thx too...actually he had a few more colorful words :bounce:

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZXJyeS9waWN0dXJlcy9JTUcwMDQ4NC5qcGc.jpg

Redneck Maguiver

Great report JT. Keep em coming. I may have to ride up and inspect yells handy work on the cooler. Ya know, make sure its up to redneck standards. Lol

BornToHuntAndFish

Sorry it's turning out to be more of a working w/e than a hunting one, but all that effort will pay off big time in the long run. Hope ya'll are getting enough rest & save enough to drag out the giant monster that will be taken down soon. It won't be long up there before it's 20 degrees cooler & you'll be loving life & hunting even more. Appreciate the reports. Go get 'em & we'll be pulling for ya'll.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Alltogether we got 2 lockons and 3 ladders up...AND the first drop of rain in more than 6 weeks!!!!

Temps fell to about 60 and we got soaked but it was a great afternoon.

Here we go with the second evening. Its about 60 and the wind is kicking it at about 20 mph. We are in a couple of climbers 100 yards inside the back corner of a plowed bean field. That lil field is the one that many of you will remember that netted bubba a 181" sweet beast back in 2006 @ 12noon! Hoping for a repeat, only this time with a bow instead of a smokestick. Sometimes you will literally see hundreds of deer around that area. This is the first time we have hunted these hardwoods back here, but this is generally where the deer come from.

I will try and get up a pic of the highway under the stands!

Check in soon folks. Good luck to those of ya in the woods. Later

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Godd luck to you and Gary, JT!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Bubba just had a massive coon start to climb up his tree! Garys eyes got big as saucers and his knees did a lil knocking:bounce:

No deer yet...winds are howling and temps are falling.

Bout 45 mins of pure deer killin opportunity!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Only a handful of mins left and still no deer. Amazing how easy this midwest hunting is:bounce:

Did just see my first ever skunk. Bunch of em up here but that's a first for me.

Uhm yeah the crown would be real sweet right now!

Will check in if a shoit happens in next few. Otherwise see yall in the morning. I can promise a cup or 3 of the nectar of the gods cause it should be much cooler.

Nite people

ultramag

That's right JT. It can be hard hunting. We are rolling south thru Mount Vernon Illinois. Be home at 5 am in the morning

ultramag

On second thought....were staying with you and Bubba...Aaron said he would sleep in the deer cooler if he could get out of this truck and away from me and Annie. Lol. Must have been something we ate???

NDLucas

Hey JT, time to update that signature. You might not want to go 7.5 hours NW of where you are now :)