JT, Bubba and Friends Live From The Tree. 18 years strong, but different IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LHefner17

I have been hunting hard the last three weeks here in SWGA. I have had some close calls with a giant on my permission places just didn’t work out. I got drawn for the Chickasawhatchee hunt this year and got a really nice buck.

I got up early Thursday morning a went and checked some of my pinned spots and they either had tape or a vehicle parked at it. My brother and I hunted near this spot last year and when I pulled into the foot path no tape, no truck. Looked at the map picked a decent spot about a quarter of a mile in.

Took a few minutes to find the right tree in the dark without knowing much about what I would be looking at come daylight. Once settled way before light. Relaxed and tried to cool off.

Once dawn started breaking I realized I had positioned my climber facing the wrong side of the tree. As quickly and quietly as possible I moved to the other side. About that time it was legal light so I hit the grunt call a few times. Not 5 minutes later I see the top of a tree moving. Quickly threw up the binos and saw it was a pretty good buck. I couldn’t tell a lot about the deer other than I wanted him. I picked a hole out in his line of travel and squeezed a shot. I must have hit some brush and the deer bolted back into the clear looking back. I quickly got on him and shot again. He started running hard and hunched up. I tried one more shot before he got clear and a clean miss.

I gather my wits and went down and found blood, and went back to the stand to let the daylight get better. Sat until 9 then went down and found a solid pile of blood and some lung. Started tracking a at times good blood trail and other times not so good. I started getting worried as the deer had traveled over 150 yards.

I followed the blood into a hardwood bottom still very steady blood. I stopped and got my bearings and my very much alive buck was bedded with his head up about 25 yards away in a slight depression. I eased the gun up and took a shot at his upper neck. The deer bolted at the shot! I know I didn’t just mess this up. I started following his tracks and the blood was really pouring out of him.

We crossed into another hardwood patch I came around a log and there he lay. What an exciting hunt!! My biggest Public Land deer and one of the finest hunting experiences I have ever had. If it was for my buddy I would still be dragging him out as from were he died to the truck was 1000 yards through short pines and thickets. Got to meet @Blackston at the skinning rack. He is a great guy.

The first time I saw the buck clearly is when he was laying there in the sunshine and realized I had killed a true public land good’un
Congrats good stuff and a great Public land stud !!!!

slow motion

Moved this camera from Johnson County Illinois to Green County in November. Midday I get pics of the shadow buck. First time I saw it I got excited. Not cool like the LFTT shadow but it's all I got. Perhaps the Godfather can retell and explain his shadow Logo.Screenshot_20231210-075145_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231210-075004_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231210-075201_Reveal.jpg

slow motion

Come on folks. I know somebody's hunting somewhere. We need the entertainment. I'm sitting at home watching Bill Dance catch big ole redfish and drinking @flatwoods approved coffee.
20231210_081432.jpg

sprewett

Looks like rain is gonna be moving out of north ga and temp dropping substantially. Was on the fence about an after church hunt not on the fence now looking forward to getting out. Good luck ladies and gentlemen. Y'all shoot straight and go around the briar patch.

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Moved this camera from Johnson County Illinois to Green County in November. Midday I get pics of the shadow buck. First time I saw it I got excited. Not cool like the LFTT shadow but it's all I got. Perhaps the Godfather can retell and explain his shadow Logo.View attachment 1275321View attachment 1275322View attachment 1275323

Usually on a sunny day sometime between 10 and 2 we all get that cool shadow of us in a tree. And of course as many photos as I take I’ve got a bunch of them in the memory banks. These days I don’t usually take the pic, but they all remind me of the one I took about 15 or so years ago that gave the idea for the LFTT logo.

IMG_4966.jpeg

Triple C

Usually on a sunny day sometime between 10 and 2 we all get that cool shadow of us in a tree. And of course as many photos as I take I’ve got a bunch of them in the memory banks. These days I don’t usually take the pic, but they all remind me of the one I took about 15 or so years ago that gave the idea for the LFTT logo.

View attachment 1275349
Jim - That’s just cool brother!

Mike 65

View attachment 1275349
Never heard that story. Pretty awesome!
I suspect I’ll get back out sometime this week. Got family obligations to take care of. Can’t complain I’ve been hitting it hard since mid oct. and guess I need a short break.

bilgerat

Senior
In any of the past 40 some odd years Id be in a tree somewhere but not this one. I took a big old doe in October, and I was blessed to tagged out on Ga bucks since early November, when I punched My Kentucky buck tag I was done for the season, My freezer is slap full and I have enjoyed spending the past few weekends at home. I still plan a trip down to My property after Christmas to close down camp for the season, pull stands n cams and fill the feeder one more time. Im already looking forward to next season and good luck to all who are still at it. Merry Christmas to all the LFTT brothers n sisters!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
In any of the past 40 some odd years Id be in a tree somewhere but not this one. I took a big old doe in October, and I was blessed to tagged out on Ga bucks since early November, when I punched My Kentucky buck tag I was done for the season, My freezer is slap full and I have enjoyed spending the past few weekends at home. I still plan a trip down to My property after Christmas to close down camp for the season, pull stands n cams and fill the feeder one more time. Im already looking forward to next season and good luck to all who are still at it. Merry Christmas to all the LFTT brothers n sisters!

Having a full freezer late season makes some of the best trips to deer camp. Doing everything you mentioned and just taking in the sights and sounds of the late season woods.

Good times

slow motion

Local Wally World. Fella cleaning up said this location isn't doing enough volume. Sending all theirs to Dawsonville location Monday. Never anybody working in sporting goods is most likely the problem. Well company policy is probably the biggest culprit. Eventually move away from it altogether. Sad but this is the world we live in.20231210_122257.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.