Lost my place, need advice going forward.

ASH556

Right out of the gate I'll admit I have had a SWEET ride for the last 15 years. A very close friend's family (like their whole family is basically family) owned 120 acres between Athens and Crawford right on 78. Other than the family who basically didn't hunt (one or two of the grandsons, my age, killed one or two deer each over the entire 15 year span), only one other guy hunted it and he was a little older than me and a great hunting mentor.

We didn't have a pay a lease, we had the place to ourselves. We didn't run cameras, we didn't feed, we did our best to stay off and out of the place for the most part. We hunted terrain, food sources, water, and travel routes. I LOVED learning to hunt that way and became successful with both a gun and a bow.

As of Friday, that place is sold and now off-limits.

For this season, I am blessed that the same family owns 200 acres in Gainesville that I've gotten permission to hunt. This is probably a one season deal as the owner has said that the agricultural tax thing (whatever that is) is up in 2022 and he will sell it then. There are 2 other guys that have been hunting this property for the past couple years. It's a very different kind of property. Athens was hayfields, creek bottom, and some open hardwoods. This Gainesville place is mountains. Ridge after ridge after ridge. Huge elevation changes with 50 ft level across the tops and the drop back down. It's a different world. They also run cameras and corn. There are also hogs. It's just a completely different world. I did go buy a camera and a bag of corn just to try and do something this season. The guys have shown me around and that's a start. Still, they've got established mineral and feeder sites and big enclosed box blinds. Again, I'm hesitant to invest too much for a one season property; especially when it's not my preferred way to hunt (box blinds and feeders).

So with the past and present explained, I need some help determining my future. I'm 37, I have 3 kids: 2 boys 8 and 6 and a 4y/o daughter. They all love the outdoors: camping, hunting, fishing, etc. We live in Braselton in a subdivision with a stocked pond and that feeds our fishing fix. There's church, soccer, ballet, etc. My point here is that going to hunting camp for a week or even every weekend is just not a reality for our lives. What I'd hope to have is something within 1-1.5hr that I can hunt on, potentially shoot some guns on occasionally, and camp on.

Are there lease opportunities within an hour or so of Braselton that I can get into without the whole: Pull a camper down to middle or south ga and do "deer camp."

Or, buy my own land. Looking at current values, I could probably get something in the 10-20 acre range depending on quality of the land, how far out, etc. I like the idea, but that's not a lot of land and I don't know you could ensure that the land would hold deer without walking it down.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Matt.M

Owning your property is a huge investment - time and money. You will also feel obligated to go when you don't need to.

A good family style deer lease would be the best of both worlds. That's my vote. My kids love hunting with other kids at camp.

It would be different if the kids were in high school, and you were closer to retiring. At least that is my plan. I'm slammed with sporting events to get a ton of Outdoor time in normally, but don't worry, games will be missed late Oct/Early Nov. :)

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d enjoy the free place to hunt this year and hunt how I’ve always hunted . Just because they have feeders and box stands doesn’t mean you have to . And it sure don’t mean you want be successful . That way you’ve got several months to decide how to go forward . Me personally, I was in a big lease for all of my childhood and into my 20’s and wouldn’t of traded it for anything . Have been in a lease my whole life, but the last several years just for a place to hunt .

Jim Boyd

I would try to do both.

Find a great club for 2022 - and - keep looking for land to buy.

Oftentimes you can find the right deal.

My wife and I picked up 57 acres a while back / it was partially cut over (price was right) but it is simply loaded with deer. Great place for dad and kids.

Good luck sir.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Hogs in Gainesville?! That’s something new to me.
Yasss! There are hog there for sure!
Man I wish you the best. Honestly I think ANYTHING you do from here on out will be tough compared to your last 15 years. Public land is awesome but you share it with EVERYONE and it can be frustrating if you have high expectations. If it’s within your means,I’d seriously look at purchasing land of your own! It’ll be an adventure and no one can take it from you!

ASH556

I hear the “own your own place” but is 10 acres of your own enough to justify the money?

Qazaq15

I hear the “own your own place” but is 10 acres of your own enough to justify the money?

It depends where that 10 acres is. There is a 10 acre piece of land I'd love to own, because it contains a natural chokepoint between 2 large areas of land. The deer have to move through that spot. If you could find a small piece of land with features that funnel deer, it could definitely be worth it.

Kestas69

To me it would depend on:
1. Price
2. What is around the property
3. Distance from my home

I have hunted 11 acres property for 2 years. 12 miles from home. On one side much larger property witch was barley hunted, on other side county water plant property of 100 or so acres. Creek and lots of acorns. Ton of deer on camera. One or to hunts and deer would go nocturnal. Hunting only perimeter of the property helped some but not much. like someone else mentioned before, I always felt obligated to go, a specially when short on time often choosing this property over other choices.
Still, if reasonable priced, good location and not far from home I would buy it. Question is this possible now days

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Or, buy my own land. Looking at current values, I could probably get something in the 10-20 acre range depending on quality of the land, how far out, etc. I like the idea, but that's not a lot of land and I don't know you could ensure that the land would hold deer without walking it down.

If you can buy your own place that’s what I would do. I’m in a few leases, one in Fulton County near the river which is covered in deer, but much prefer hunting my own dirt in Heard County which doesn’t have near the population of deer and a lotta brown n down type folks all around me. There is just something special about it to me.

As far as 10-20 acres goes, isn’t the limitation $$ and not acreage? Think outside the box and you might be able to get a larger piece of land. But if 10 acres is all you get if it’s the right 10 acres it could be great hunting. For many years I hunted a little creek bottom between two large timber tracks that had a steady flow of deer cruising through it.

SC Hunter

We own 15 acres with a fairly large piece on one side. There are deer on there but we're going to live there so I'll feed them and let the kids watch until a big one comes through. Then I'm running for a rifle. ??

Find a good club as close as you can to where you want to hunt, talk to guys at processors, guys that do tractor work or find a decent size piece and lease it yourself and have 1 other person to offset the cost.

I know how you feel after losing a piece I'd hunted for 10 years a few years ago. It's a bad feeling but honestly make the most of it if you can.

Bob2010

I have experience on this question. I'm in my early 40s now. I have two sons 12 and 14 years old. I have run a club for 10 years in East GA. Then was a member of 4 other clubs for different years. I just purchased 70 acres in Chattooga County. My youngest will go ride or hang out on the property. He really doesn't care about hunting too much. My oldest love to hunt and ride. The problem is his schedule eats up much of the time that we can go. Ultimately my land will be given to my boys. So it is for them but I will enjoy it more than they will in the near future. I drive 1 hour to get there. 1.5 hours is tough if you want to go for a 1/2 day to a day. 1 hour drive is my sweet spot. I will never do much in east GA or south GA again. If I have to drive through Atlanta or crazy traffic to get there it won't work. Fridays are terrible all day for traffic. Consider that for sure.

The perks of a club is fixed expenses, other kids at camp, more land to hunt, and you can just go home and not worry about anything.

The downside is only a few members do all of the work. Many members are lazy and that's hard to stomach if you are a worker. Also you could get kicked out for no reason at all. The rules and politics get overwhelming at times. The nicer the land gets at the cost of the members labor the higher the dues go yearly to hunt there. Also the more likely you will lose your lease to a higher bidder. You have to be careful how much you invest in a club because you could be gone next year. A president, land owner, or timber company can let you go in a heart beat. I hate always wondering how long it will last.

For me having a smaller tract where I call the shots is better. I have several awesome stand locations and plots to chose from. Only the people I care about will hunt there. Really only Dad's with kids other than myself. Also every improvement is expensive but adds value to my place. The work is satisfying because I know who will reap the benefits. I suggest finding a place with national forest, WMA, or a park close by. This ensures deer and turkey will remain in the area. Even if some people develop around you. Also water, acorns, and cover are really important. Cut over with pines and plots can produce great hunting. If you want to hold deer you need a few acorns and water in my opinion.

Kris87

Right out of the gate I'll admit I have had a SWEET ride for the last 15 years. A very close friend's family (like their whole family is basically family) owned 120 acres between Athens and Crawford right on 78. Other than the family who basically didn't hunt (one or two of the grandsons, my age, killed one or two deer each over the entire 15 year span), only one other guy hunted it and he was a little older than me and a great hunting mentor.

We didn't have a pay a lease, we had the place to ourselves. We didn't run cameras, we didn't feed, we did our best to stay off and out of the place for the most part. We hunted terrain, food sources, water, and travel routes. I LOVED learning to hunt that way and became successful with both a gun and a bow.

As of Friday, that place is sold and now off-limits.

For this season, I am blessed that the same family owns 200 acres in Gainesville that I've gotten permission to hunt. This is probably a one season deal as the owner has said that the agricultural tax thing (whatever that is) is up in 2022 and he will sell it then. There are 2 other guys that have been hunting this property for the past couple years. It's a very different kind of property. Athens was hayfields, creek bottom, and some open hardwoods. This Gainesville place is mountains. Ridge after ridge after ridge. Huge elevation changes with 50 ft level across the tops and the drop back down. It's a different world. They also run cameras and corn. There are also hogs. It's just a completely different world. I did go buy a camera and a bag of corn just to try and do something this season. The guys have shown me around and that's a start. Still, they've got established mineral and feeder sites and big enclosed box blinds. Again, I'm hesitant to invest too much for a one season property; especially when it's not my preferred way to hunt (box blinds and feeders).

So with the past and present explained, I need some help determining my future. I'm 37, I have 3 kids: 2 boys 8 and 6 and a 4y/o daughter. They all love the outdoors: camping, hunting, fishing, etc. We live in Braselton in a subdivision with a stocked pond and that feeds our fishing fix. There's church, soccer, ballet, etc. My point here is that going to hunting camp for a week or even every weekend is just not a reality for our lives. What I'd hope to have is something within 1-1.5hr that I can hunt on, potentially shoot some guns on occasionally, and camp on.

Are there lease opportunities within an hour or so of Braselton that I can get into without the whole: Pull a camper down to middle or south ga and do "deer camp."

I'm curious if the property in Athens is the one across from the landfill. Was there an old wooden playground built around a giant tree? I'd bet it is. I debated buying that piece of property. Curious how the hunting on it actually was for you??? Thanks

buckpasser

Sorry to hear you lost the Athens place. All I can add is this; I have some very generous friends that have provided great deer and deer hunting for me and my family for decades. One of them invited me to hunt his property in N FL some years ago. There were stands everywhere and tons of people activity (he had four or more other guys hunting). I used my climber and stayed out of the way. I shot two bucks down there and seemed to stay under the radar. Now, he has a place right near my house. There are a big crew of friends hunting it and I chose the most remote portion of the place to hunt. I had to hike 1/2 a mile to my climber tree. I killed two bucks in two seasons scoring 151 and 135. The green monster took over and now there’s a road to my area, four stands within 100 yards and a huge mowed out food plot where they used to feel comfy.

My point is, keep a low profile around your new hunting comrades. Human nature maintains they won’t like you hunting “their” place. Good luck!