Mossberg 835 good for turkey??

Mossy0ak270

I'm new to turkey hunting and was considering this gun. It's a 835 12 ga with a 26" barrel in camo. They have it at wal-mart pretty cheap. I have a 835 Ulti-Mag in 28". I like the gun, but is this "Turkey Special" they have a good gun?

sniper13

Yep

:shoot:
Doesn't hurt me Quite as much as it does the bird. close though with the 3 1/2"shells.

Slug-Gunner

Why buy a new 835 Ulti-Mag?

Mossy0ak270 said:
I'm new to turkey hunting and was considering this gun. It's a 835 12 ga with a 26" barrel in camo. They have it at wal-mart pretty cheap. I have a 835 Ulti-Mag in 28". I like the gun, but is this "Turkey Special" they have a good gun?

Since you already have a 12 ga 835 Ulti-Mag /w 28" bbl, you don't need to buy a WHOLE NEW 835 just to go turkey hunting. You actually have TWO options:
(I would recommend DOING BOTH!)

1) Just buy either the standard 835 Ulti-Mag "Ulti-Full Turkey Choke" or the Tru-Glo Turkey Choke for your current 835.
Both pattern real good out of my 835 Ulti-Mag.

2) Either buy the Tru-Glo Hi-Viz sights that stick/clamp on to the ventilated rib of your current 835 Ulti-Mag or put either a "Red Dot" or a scope like either the Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5-5x32 or Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4.5x 32 on it.
The 835 Ulti-Mag is already "drilled & tapped" for scope mounts.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I was going to give a THIRD option of just buying the Camo "Turkey Special" bbl for your gun, but they don't offer it. Only the 28" length Vent-rib model (which you already have).
-----------------------------------------------------------

Since the barrels for the 835 Ulti-Mag are interchangeable, you can convert your gun to a "rifled slug barrel" for deer hunting by just buying the appropriate barrel shown below:
(This is a list of all the barrels from the web site.)
http://www.mossberg.com/acatalog/pricebarrels.htm

835® ULTI-MAG® BARRELS
(handle 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" shells)

Standard Ventilated-Rib

12 90831 28" VR PORTED Accu-Mag Set Matte $162

12 92831 28" VR PORTED Accu-Mag Set WOODLANDS CAMO $170

Slugsters w/scope base

12 ga --# 90820-- 24" Integral Scope Base PORTED--FULLY RIFLED BORE -- BLUE -- $162

12 ga --# 92830-- 24" Integral Scope Base PORTED--FULLY RIFLED BORE -- Matte-- $162

12 ga--# 90720--24" Integral Scope Base PORTED--FULLY RIFLED BORE--WOODLANDS CAMO-- $170

12 ga--# 96830--24" Integral Scope Base PORTED--FULLY RIFLED BORE--Realtree HARDWOODS--$192

Slugsters w/rifle sights:

12 ga--# 98802--24" Adj. Fiber Optic rifle sights PORTED FULLY RIFLED BORE-- BLUE--$170

12 ga--# 92802--24" RIFLE SIGHTS PORTED FULLY RIFLED BORE--BLUE--$162

12 ga--# 92803--24" RIFLE SIGHTS PORTED FULLY RIFLED BORE--WOODLANDS CAMO--$170
----------------------------------------------------

These are the specs for the "Turkey Special" they show on the Mossberg web site:
http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/model835.htm

835® TURKEY models

# 68231(shown above) Features 12 ga. Pump Action, Woodlands Camo finish, synthetic stock, ported 24" VR overbored Accu-Mag barrel w/ Ulti-Full turkey choke tube and adjustable fiber optic sights .... MSRP $438

#62235 w/ Mossy Oak® New Break-Up™ finish ......MSRP $460 #62237 w/ Realtree® Hardwoods HD Green™ finish ..... MSRP $460
------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL NOTE: (SAFETY WARNING!)
NEVER try to fire ANY TYPE of shotgun SLUGS or SABOTS thru a standard Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag shotgun barrel designed for STANDARD shot-type shotgun shells. Due to the "Overbored" design of the barrel it is HIGHLY INACCURATE and could cause an UNSAFE CONDITION or damage the barrel/choke.
(This applies to ANY BRAND of shotgun with an OVERBORED/BACKBORED designed barrel.)
BTW: "BACKBORED" and "OVERBORED" are basically the SAME THING.

:flag: :D ;)

Last edited:

Jody Hawk

Mossy Oak,
The 835 Ulti-mag is a good turkey gun if you can stand the recoil. I had one for several years and tried to shoot 3 1/2" shells out of it. FORGET THAT !!!! That thing would rattle your fillings loose. I was looking at one at the Monroe Wal-Mart yesterday. Nice looking turkey gun for the money. Fully camoed, ported barrell and sights for less than $300. If you decide on getting one take this advice and get a Simms recoil pad to go on it, it'll make the recoil a little more tolerable.

Hoyt man

I turkey hunt with that same wal-mart special. Love it! First turkey I shot with it was hung up about 50 yards so I let her rip.needless to say that turkey is sitting here in my living room staring at me now. so dont feel the need in getting to close it can do it from a distance to. jason

ryano

Banned
listen to what these guys are saying about the recoil because they ARE NOT kidding..........that gun with a 3 1/2 inch turkey load kicks like a mule!!!!!!!!!!!

my cousin has one and I shot it a couple years back and it kicked me over backwards and out my wheelchair :rofl:

its a great gun, it patterns well but man.........its a little too much for me..........I use a Mossberg 500 and it seems to do the trick just fine.............

good luck and let us know what you final decision is :fine:

Craig Knight

Mossberg 835

I too will agree with the others,They kick like ELMOELMOELMO, with 3.5" shells. Thats why I no longer have one.

frankwright

QuackAddict

It may kick but it will slam a gobbler. I have an 835 and I only use it for turkeys. It gets the job done and you won't hardly feel the kick when you lay that big gobbler down! :shoot:

F250

Banned
I got rid of my 835 for 2 reasons. First the well stated fact that it will kick worst than any firarm out there!! Used it for Duck hunting, had to take a tyonol after every shot. I mean every shot! Second the safety system has a problem. Mine would work good 9 out of ten times then it wouldn't, in the bad way!! You could switch it on safe and it would still fire!! Sold it to someone that planned to use it for Deer and Turkey!!

Derek

I got the 835 myself. Performs great, but it will dislocate your shoulder with 3.5's. I had to shoot a turkey wrong handed last year and boy did I pay for it since my shootin position wasn't as good. I almost dropped the gun after the shot. :cry: :cry: :whip:

rip18

My wife must be right - I can be insensitive at times. I've got an 835 & really don't notice the recoil, even with 3.5s. I bought it on sale two years ago, & have shot ducks & 2 turkeys with it. It is the first pump gun I ever owned (now own 2) & haven't had any problem with it - EXCEPT when I cleaned it last night - I accidentally took all the innards out without paying attention to how they came out... I eventually figured out which side went up...

I took it up on the Tennesee River last year. I left the gun in my pirogue on a clay bar while I set out decoys. My dog went back to the boat & put a muddy paw right in the middle of the open action. I cleaned it out the best I could. When the greenhead came in, the gun didn't fire. A quick pump, & it fired just fine. I'm not sure a semi-auto would have gotten me that bird.

With the price I paid for that gun, it is more "disposable" than a Benelli - I don't worry about it as much in an Arkansas mud pit, a Georgia salt marsh, or pushing through a briar jungle.

Jestaholic

Found this thread and wanted to ask a couple of questions:

• Does anyone have a 835 slugster barrel model 90720 that they would like to sell?
  • Does Simms make a recoil pad other than the slip on that will fit my 835 Woodland camo gun?

Thanks!

Greg Tench

For turkeys you cant go wrong with an 835. I have 2 of them. Ive got an older one I got in the early 90s with Mossy Oak treestand camo. In it I shoot 3-1/2 #5 winchester supremes thru a Kicks gobblin thunder choke tube .680. Out of the 2 guns this one is a turkey killin machine. Cant get the newer gun w/ ported barrel to pattern near as well. Oh and they do kick a little....:bounce:

dixie

My wife must be right - I can be insensitive at times. I've got an 835 & really don't notice the recoil, even with 3.5s. I bought it on sale two years ago, & have shot ducks & 2 turkeys with it. It is the first pump gun I ever owned (now own 2) & haven't had any problem with it - EXCEPT when I cleaned it last night - I accidentally took all the innards out without paying attention to how they came out... I eventually figured out which side went up...
I'm with you on this Rip , I have one and yes, there's a big difference in the 2 3/4 shells and the 3 1/2 but, at least to me, there's not that much between the 3 and 3 1/2's I use a Hasting choke in it and it does me as good a job as the high dollar one do.

alex30808

I've got an 835 and have to say "You mean there is another shot gun company???"
I shoot 3.5" Win. #5 thru a C-n-C .670 (I think it's a .670 LOL)....and I dont notice the recoil that much either..but the factory choke bruised my cheek, shoulder and all the way across my chest to my sternum!!!! shootin the same load!!!!

Greg Tench

Derek said:
I got the 835 myself. Performs great, but it will dislocate your shoulder with 3.5's. I had to shoot a turkey wrong handed last year and boy did I pay for it since my shootin position wasn't as good. I almost dropped the gun after the shot. :cry: :cry: :whip:
I know of what you speak brother!! Im a right hand shooter and had a turkey come in off my far left side and almost behind me. That put the stock of the gun on my bicept and after I pulled the trgger & came to my senses(and wiped blood from my busted nose) I saw the gobbler floppin. I KNOW who was hurtin worse,but at that moment it sure felt like a draw!!!!!:cry:

S

spraggins

835's kick like mules, the safety mechanisms are questionable...and i haven't seen one yet that will throw half as good a pattern as either of my two 870's. i have owned one, and shot a bunch of them. i'm infinately looking for the ultimate pattern, kind of a hobby. good luck w/ the mules!

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
835`s kill on one end and wound on the other. I owned one long enough to shoot it once. I just don`t need to abuse myself just to prove I can take it. Don`t mean to knock someone elses stuff, But its to rough for me. HH

Jestaholic

Questions still looming...

Jestaholic said:
Found this thread and wanted to ask a couple of questions:

• Does anyone have a 835 slugster barrel model 90720 that they would like to sell?
  • Does Simms make a recoil pad other than the slip on that will fit my 835 Woodland camo gun?

Thanks!
See questions above.....