Out west public land

JBGriffith

Not exactly deer hunting related and definitely not ga related. Looking at an out west public land hunt in a year or two with my dad, uncle, and a couple of cousins. Just wanting some input from personal experiences. Budget wise? Locations to shoot for? Elk, moose, honestly just looking for a memorable trip with family and if we harvest an animal awesome. Cabin, hotels, camp? Ideally would be a primitive cabin within hiking distance of public land, but again, this is just the beginning of planning this trip. Any input would be helpful. And good luck this deer season to you all!!

Nimrod71

If you want to hunt some fine Elk you may want to look at hunting around Durango Co. I was out there last year and several hunters were staying at the same motel. The day of there hunts they bought in 4 nice Elk. I would of been proud of any of them. I talked with the hunters that night and they all had been hunting government land around Durango. The next day I went to the Fish Hatchery and met with several men from the Forest Service. They were more than glad to give me maps and show me were the best Elk hunting was. That night I checked with the hunters and they said they had been hunting the same areas and had seen a lot of Elk. I suggest you check around Durango. As for cost I would say around $1,500 to $2,000 plus license depending oh how many hunters go and transportation. I pheasant hunt in South Dakota and it cast me around $1,500 to drive up and hunt 5 days including license.

NCMTNHunter

I don’t think you are going to be able to moose hunt anywhere in the lower 48 without a bunch of preference points and luck. You can hunt elk in some form or fashion with an over the counter tag in Colorado and I believe Idaho and Montana. Are you wanting to gun, bow, or muzzleloader hunt?

plumber_1969

GET IN SHAPE! Been going out west for several years now. I hate the drive but enjoy the time in the mountains. Pronghorns would be your best bet and probably the easiest. The land is vast and you will want good equipment, gps, camping equipment, etc.

drenalin08

Yeah most states are point use so better start putting in to get points.Took me 2 years to get points to go to Colorado for elk.