Packs

Whit90

Hey guys, I just posted this in another thread, but figured I'd put it in here as well.

I got my Horn Hunter Full Curl fame pack in last week. I am very impressed so far. I was pleased to see an American flag on the top of the pack with the words, "Made in America" (couldn't find on their website where they were made???).

FYI: I do not do over night back country hunts (yet). I typically day hunt out of a camp for drive up for the day.

This pack has enough storage for me to make it my primary pack. It does not have any large storage, but it has a LOT of pockets for the size of the pack. I will be using a dry bag that will serve as storage for heavy clothing or any other bulky items come winter. It will be very easy to secure the dry bag to the meat shelf area. @jbogg actually recommended the dry bag idea (thanks for the idea!). The pack also has a water bladder pocket that I will use every time I go out.

I packed it up as if I'd be going on a hunt in the mountains (hammock seat, kill kit, first aid, external battery charger, water bladder, and some other unnecessary items just to add weight.) and it wears great. Even with those items in the pack there is still plenty of room for other items. I then packed it like Id be going on a deer hunt with my Lone Wolf hand climber strapped to the frame and it wears way better than the stand by its self. I have been using a military kidney belt and backpack straps on my Lone Wolf and it carries very easily, but its 10X better on the fame pack because of the padding of the pack and the rigidity. The extra weight of carrying the pack frame and stand verses just the stand doesn't bother me because of how the frame takes the weight of the stand. There is no wobble when you lean to the left or right because of the rigidity of the frame and because you can really get things strapped down tight. With all on the webbing on the pack, I think I will be able to pack my stand in and then strap my pack to the tree when I get up to the height I want to hunt, instead of using a screw in hook. Not sure if I could rig it to pack a deer out with the stand as well, but hopefully I have a chance to figure that out this coming season.

Very pleased so far, but Ill let yall know more this season once I really put it to work.

chrislibby88

Hey guys, I just posted this in another thread, but figured I'd put it in here as well.

I got my Horn Hunter Full Curl fame pack in last week. I am very impressed so far. I was pleased to see an American flag on the top of the pack with the words, "Made in America" (couldn't find on their website where they were made???).

FYI: I do not do over night back country hunts (yet). I typically day hunt out of a camp for drive up for the day.

This pack has enough storage for me to make it my primary pack. It does not have any large storage, but it has a LOT of pockets for the size of the pack. I will be using a dry bag that will serve as storage for heavy clothing or any other bulky items come winter. It will be very easy to secure the dry bag to the meat shelf area. @jbogg actually recommended the dry bag idea (thanks for the idea!). The pack also has a water bladder pocket that I will use every time I go out.

I packed it up as if I'd be going on a hunt in the mountains (hammock seat, kill kit, first aid, external battery charger, water bladder, and some other unnecessary items just to add weight.) and it wears great. Even with those items in the pack there is still plenty of room for other items. I then packed it like Id be going on a deer hunt with my Lone Wolf hand climber strapped to the frame and it wears way better than the stand by its self. I have been using a military kidney belt and backpack straps on my Lone Wolf and it carries very easily, but its 10X better on the fame pack because of the padding of the pack and the rigidity. The extra weight of carrying the pack frame and stand verses just the stand doesn't bother me because of how the frame takes the weight of the stand. There is no wobble when you lean to the left or right because of the rigidity of the frame and because you can really get things strapped down tight. With all on the webbing on the pack, I think I will be able to pack my stand in and then strap my pack to the tree when I get up to the height I want to hunt, instead of using a screw in hook. Not sure if I could rig it to pack a deer out with the stand as well, but hopefully I have a chance to figure that out this coming season.

Very pleased so far, but Ill let yall know more this season once I really put it to work.
Are the dry bags compression bags? I keep my insulation in cheap Amazon compression bags and it shrinks them down a good bit. It means the difference in my heavy bibs and jacket taking up all my pack space or only half the main storage.

Professor

Good news, thanks for the review. I agree with jbogg, a dry bag is really a must. Keeping the pack dry is important mainly because it keeps the weight down, but I have found keeping the contents dry with a pack cover is nearly impossible. I have a lightweight pack cover in case of rain, but my stuff that has to stay dry is in a dry bag. I find a large bag is also useful when using a small pack like my MR Mule. It is a day pack, but I can put the dry bag in the overload area and not worry about it.

Whit90

Are the dry bags compression bags? I keep my insulation in cheap Amazon compression bags and it shrinks them down a good bit. It means the difference in my heavy bibs and jacket taking up all my pack space or only half the main storage.

They are not technically compression bags, although you can take your knee and press most of the air out and then roll the top down before using the buckle to seal the bag. you can get it pretty small this way. Horn Hunter actually sells a pack bag that is designed to go in the meat shelf area to create a large backpacking rig. That bag is rather large for my current needs, so I figured I would try to make use of what I've got already and save some $$. The cool thing is that the frame already has all of the buckles necessary to convert it into that larger backpacking rig, so if I want/need a backpacking rig in the future, I just have to buy the large bag and buckle it to the frame.

Professor

I use compression sacks for some stuff as well, but the dry sacks are different. I use this one from MR, but there are many available. I have also used a contractor trash bag before. that works and is very light.
rth_h2oprooflarge_45l_.jpg

chrislibby88

I just have a pack fly and I keep my sleep system in a dry bag. But like Professor said ALWAYS a good idea to keep a contractors bag in case of emergency. Can be made into a poncho, small shelter, floor liner, etc, etc. Rolls up teenie tiny.
I keep a few in my pack ALWAYS. I will put meat in them, you can do all the things you mentioned, and you can use them like waders to cross creeks.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I've been watching Brian Call: Gritty on YouTube. Those guys are insane. They even pack inflatable rafts to cross raging rivers. They all pack about 60 lbs straight up mountains and straight down mountains. Check it out if you haven't already seen it. Its the most hardcore pack hunting I've ever seen.

Jason F

I've been watching Brian Call: Gritty on YouTube. Those guys are insane. They even pack inflatable rafts to cross raging rivers. They all pack about 60 lbs straight up mountains and straight down mountains. Check it out if you haven't already seen it. Its the most hardcore pack hunting I've ever seen.

Brian (aka Gritty) is one of my favorites and has been since I discovered him 5-6 years ago on YouTube. My kids enjoy watching his bear hunts specifcally with me. Another favorite of mine is ElkShape (Dan Staton).

Actually, if I had to pin down one influence on what caused me to get in to hunting as an adult in my late 30's, it would be Brian Call. I forced myself to watch his YouTube channel as research for a marketing project (hunting ammo), to ensure I understood some things, the vernacular, etc.

Within about 6 months I was addicted to his channel & podcast and considering how I could get in to hunting, and then a year later I bought a bow.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.

Not hunting related but those packrafts are legit. I carried one some 27-30 miles up the S Fork of the Flathead in MT and rafted back out. It was hands down the heaviest load I’ve ever toted any real distance. Raft, paddle, camp, and six days of provisions. Great trip though..

512A6720-B9D0-4EC2-9CF0-92818C44251B.jpegA9230C83-0CBF-4FF5-BB0F-4239B96974B6.jpegF95EBB2E-E291-4EB0-9CAE-5E772206EA5F.jpeg

chrislibby88

MR packs on Camofire. Pintler - $279.99, Scapegoat 35 - $174.99, Selway 60 - $286.99. The Selway price is the deal.
Bags are interchangeable on the guidelite frame, so you can start with a solid daypack like the pintler and buy a giant bag later on if needed.

KentuckyHeadhunter

And the other cool feature with MR is you can convert your lid into a daypack onto the removeable yoke or just with accessory straps.

Professor

Bags are interchangeable on the guidelite frame, so you can start with a solid daypack like the pintler and buy a giant bag later on if needed.
If someone decides to buy a Mystery Ranch pack, please understand that the yoke and the belt run very large. I am 6 ft and weigh 210. I can wear a medium or a small. I can actually wear my daughter's extra-small. No way that I could wear a large.

WoodlandScout82

I am probably in the minority, but I prefer to carry the smallest packs I can. This is my gear for this season. Maxpedition DevilDog waist/lumbar pack that I sewed a shoulder harness for, and a T&K bino harness. The only thing I'm waiting on is a Maxpedition Rolly Poly backpack that folds down to 3"x5" and will fit on my waist pack that I'll use as a meat bag. This is everything I need, hammock seat, gear, navigation, hydration, snacks. I try to be as light and unencumbered as possible so I can hunt on the move.IMG_20210715_200906175.jpg

ScarFoot

I am probably in the minority, but I prefer to carry the smallest packs I can. This is my gear for this season. Maxpedition DevilDog waist/lumbar pack that I sewed a shoulder harness for, and a T&K bino harness. The only thing I'm waiting on is a Maxpedition Rolly Poly backpack that folds down to 3"x5" and will fit on my waist pack that I'll use as a meat bag. This is everything I need, hammock seat, gear, navigation, hydration, snacks. I try to be as light and unencumbered as possible so I can hunt on the move.View attachment 1091232
What's the weight for your complete rig?