People, "harvest" is for crops, not deer.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
How bout the camo snob in the 90k F350 on 37s...With the 20 pound, 4 convertaball drop hitch hanging 6" from the ground?

Saw him at the store this morning.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
"Yearling" is the commonly used term for nearly-grown deer born this year. And has been for centuries. Whether or not it bugs you because you want to make a different definition for it that goes against the traditional usage of the word. A year-old deer is just a deer. No special name. A "fawn" has spots.

It appears the majority of folks here on GON use the correct definition.

https://forum.gon.com/threads/yearling-or-fawn.934752/

I think folks like to call a "fawn" a "yearling" to save face. I shot a yearling sounds better to them than I shot a fawn.

I have harvested plenty of fawns and yearlings.

I would guess that the majority of folks that call a fawn a yearling are just ignorant.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I try not to make it a habit looking at men’s feet.... you should try it ! It’s not that hard

They ain't men's feet. Men don't wear women's footwear.

It's like a mini skirt. When someone walks in wearing a mini skirt, I look. If it turns out to be Bruce Jenner in the skirt I look away. Although Bruce probably has nice legs. Or did when s(he) was younger.

msgreen

YOU PEOPLE are driving me crazy.

First, it was calling fawns "yearlings".

Now you are coming at me bro with "harvest".

You kill deer, you do not harvest them.

Take off your white sunglasses, get out of your jacked up $90k diesel truck that only carries you, your fat old lady and your golf clubs, sit down on your yeti cooler and think about it.

While using the term "harvest" is technically not incorrect, it is the "Bone Collector" decal in the back window of hunting terms.

Just don't do it. For the children.

Get the PC out of hunting and go shoot a deer. Kill a deer. Massacre a deer. Stick a deer.

:Karen rant off:

While I'm ranting, grown men should not wear flip flops in public.

Thanks for listening. I'm going to go harvest a sausage biscuit for breakfast.
I’m glad you didn’t call out crocks !

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
YOU PEOPLE are driving me crazy.

First, it was calling fawns "yearlings".

Now you are coming at me bro with "harvest".

You kill deer, you do not harvest them.

Take off your white sunglasses, get out of your jacked up $90k diesel truck that only carries you, your fat old lady and your golf clubs, sit down on your yeti cooler and think about it.

While using the term "harvest" is technically not incorrect, it is the "Bone Collector" decal in the back window of hunting terms.

Just don't do it. For the children.

Get the PC out of hunting and go shoot a deer. Kill a deer. Massacre a deer. Stick a deer.

:Karen rant off:

While I'm ranting, grown men should not wear flip flops in public.

Thanks for listening. I'm going to go harvest a sausage biscuit for breakfast.
Not a bad troll attempt, at all! Good job, Jim! :cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It appears the majority of folks here on GON use the correct definition.

https://forum.gon.com/threads/yearling-or-fawn.934752/

I think folks like to call a "fawn" a "yearling" to save face. I shot a yearling sounds better to them than I shot a fawn.

I have harvested plenty of fawns and yearlings.

I would guess that the majority of folks that call a fawn a yearling are just ignorant.
I guess I'm just ignorant then. I will continue to use the term in its traditional usage, signifying a "deer of the year" that is no longer a spotted fawn. I will continue to call little bitty deer with spots fawns. You can call them whatever you want to, and it doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not going to say that anybody is ignorant because they use the traditional term "deer" instead of referring to them as Odocoileus virginianus. A deer that was born last year is just a deer, no special name. I've killed plenty of both. Either one tastes good. I have never harvested any of them, though. :)

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I guess I'm just ignorant then. I will continue to use the term in its traditional usage, signifying a "deer of the year" that is no longer a spotted fawn. I will continue to call little bitty deer with spots fawns. You can call them whatever you want to, and it doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not going to say that anybody is ignorant because they use the traditional term "deer" instead of referring to them as Odocoileus virginianus. A deer that was born last year is just a deer, no special name. I've killed plenty of both. Either one tastes good. I have never harvested any of them, though. :)

Just because you keep saying "traditional usage" does not mean that people using the INCORRECT term are using the "traditional usage".

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just because you keep saying "traditional usage" does not mean that people using the INCORRECT term are using the "traditional usage".
All I can tell you is that in the last half century, pretty much everybody I have known has called mostly-grown fawns in the fall "yearlings." Meaning a deer of that year, not a year-old deer. That has always been the way that word was used, at least around here. Until the last few years, when somebody thinks suddenly that it's wrong, just because they think so. People use a lot of incorrect terms. Why do you assume it's incorrect, anyway? Why do you need a special name for a year-old deer that looks like every other deer?

Bottom line, I don't really care what anybody calls a deer, and don't see why people get tore up about it.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
In the science world the term yearling refers to a 1.5 year-old deer. It is short for the term "long-yearling" from the original publication detailing the aging technique for deer "tooth replacement and wear" developed by C.W. Severinghaus in 1949. In that same publication, young of the year deer are referred to as fawns. Also, deer are aged in half years because we typically age their jawbones in the fall when they are killed by hunters.

NCMTNHunter

1. Back when the apologetics started thinking the animals rights crowd would like us better if we harvested deer instead of killing them I thought I would give it a shot but I always lose them once they make it to the trees. All I know is you harvesters have faster tractors than I do.

2. Crocs are the superior of all laceless footwear.

3. Rhododendron is Laurel, mountain laurel is Ivey, red squirrels are boomers, and a deer in its first fall is a SLANK! now you know. Stop being wrong.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !

Let's just get back to the subject of this thread...making fun of men in flip flops with yeti coolers. :p