Rant: Why are some dads like this?

ghadarits

I had a similar experience several years ago, may even be the same place if its close to Butler. My Nephew came up from Florida to hunt a family friends place. He was 14 and had never killed a buck. He had to sit with one of the owners workers who told him what he could or couldn't shoot. Anyway my Nephew had a chance to shoot several nice bucks over a couple day period, but the guy said no, they were for VIP's "clients". I asked my Nephew if he wanted to kill a buck on my place in Barbour county Alabama. He said heck yeah. I told him he could come up anytime and shoot whatever he wanted to. Just to let me know when he wanted to go. He said how about now:). We loaded up and drove the 2 hours to my place. He killed a nice 6 point that afternoon and hasn't been back to the other place. Been to my place several times since and has always seemed to enjoy it.

I have personal restrictions on what I shoot on my place. But if your a guest of mine you go by your restrictions not mine. And my personal restrictions can change from one hunt to the net.
I wish I could double like this!!!

Reactions: six

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
It’d be real hard for me not to put a knot on man’s head for that kinda carp.

My dad and grandpa let me have all the fun when I was a little hillbilly. It got me hooked somethin fierce.. Now I really enjoy putting my dad on fish and game! And when the time comes, I’ll put little ones on em too! Thats what keeps the circle going.

Reactions: six

LittleDrummerBoy

I've helped lots of hunters get their first deer, and I always let them shoot whatever they want - which is usually the first thing that presents a safe and legal shot. But it has occasionally been a big buck.

Jim Boyd

My brother came to hunt with me on my new farm in late November.

He had visited earlier and had taken 5 meat deer home so we were largely just enjoying each other’s company.

We have been deer hunting together for 40+ years but for the first time ever, we sat together in a big quad. Some deer came and went and we were having a good time and I looked up a pine lane.

Standing there - 80 yards - was a great 8 pt, about 18” wide with decently tall antlers. He is a really good buck for my area.

I tried to get him to shoot the deer.

He tried to get me to shoot the deer.

We screwed around like this for about 3-4 minutes and I swear, the buck finally got disgusted with us and walked off.

Great, great afternoon!!!!!!

six

I’ll put little ones on em too! Thats what keeps the circle going.
Yes sir, Full Circle. Two of my all time favorite pictures. My Dad helping me with my first longbeard which he could have shot a lot easier himself versus helping me get the shot. Then forty some years later me returning the favor.First longbeard restore.jpgScreenshot_2020-12-25 Photobucket FullCircle jpg(1).png

SC Hunter

I let the boys shoot anything they want to shoot I couldn't care less honestly. If somebody had anything to say about it then its their problem their so stupid.

I almost feel bad for my mom and dad having to supply me with ammo when I was growing up. My daddy did tell me one time that the next dang deer I killed better either drop or be a monster. I'd shot 2 back to back and hit a little back resulting in lengthy tracking jobs. There is no telling how many year old bucks I killed growing up and guess what it was fun and made me love hunting to this day.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’m as dedicated a deer hunter as anyone on this forum, I love the sit and seeing as much as the killing. I have never been as excited with anything I killed as I was when my two boys shot their first deer and turkey. My oldest shot a small doe for his first deer and I thought he was gonna shake the deer stand down. No words for a person that would deny a kid that excitement.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
six those are the best pics ever!

Let the kids shine folks!!! Teach them no goal or dream or buck is too big!!!!

sea trout

My son shot the biggest buck of our houshold last fall.
I LOVE hearing him tell the story of that hunt!!!! He'll be happy and his story starts off with "I was in the buddy stand with my Dad......."

20191103_161205.jpg

sea trout

I’m as dedicated a deer hunter as anyone on this forum, I love the sit and seeing as much as the killing. I have never been as excited with anything I killed as I was when my two boys shot their first deer and turkey. My oldest shot a small doe for his first deer and I thought he was gonna shake the deer stand down. No words for a person that would deny a kid that excitement.
I even remember some of those post and pictures!!! They were awesome!!!

AJLBucks

It amazes me how some people who are mentors to these younger hunters can be so selfish and greedy. I am pretty strict on myself on what I shoot. I need very little meat, so I hunt mainly for the time alone in nature and the joy of seeing God’s creatures. So because of this, I will only shoot something that I consider a trophy. My views and other’s views of trophies may differ, that doesn’t matter. But I look for bucks 3.5 years or older. I let a lot of deer walk, but again, I really do enjoy watching them. With that said, my 18 year old nephew started getting interested last year and killed a unicorn spike. My son in law got interested 3 years ago and killed his first last year, a basket 7 point. Ow I would have never shot these deer, but I would also would have never told them not to shoot. In fact my son in law texted me before he shot and I said let her rip. Both have passed on smaller bucks this year hoping for something bigger, but I keep telling them if you want to shoot them don’t hesitate.

IT IS ABOUT GETTING AND KEEPING THE YOUNG 6 AND MAKING SURE THEY HAVE A GOOD TIME!!!

Ray357

AWOL
It saddens me when dads (and granddads) deliberately do not allow the young hunter they are with to shoot a nice buck that comes by. WHY? Two recent examples come to mind and, to me, it just screams “hoarding” your bucks all for yourself.

One man had a grandson come clean across the country to hunt with him in middle Georgia. Young child had never killed a deer. He took a doe, but wasn’t experienced enough to thoroughly check out his surroundings....he had a whopper of a buck, in the 140’s, off to the left of the doe and granddaddy deliberately didn’t point it out to the child! He wanted that nice buck for himself later on by his own admission.

Same story, different day: another grandchild wasn’t allowed to shoot a (again) 140’s class buck....had to watch him stroll by and told to take the doe because he “didn’t want to make it too easy on him”....got to pay your dues before you can pop a biggun.

Another friend of mine was hunting with dad, also a friend, and a huge buck comes out. The kid was, oh, about ten, twelve years old. He asks daddy if the buck was big enough to shoot, as the property was strictly trophy managed. Dad says he’s gonna check him out through the scope and you know what happened next. Kid has zero interest in hunting now.

Another middle Georgia hunter buddy was so strict with his son that he wasn’t allowed to take anything less that 140. 140’s don’t grow behind every tree. Let the kid bloody his hands some before he has to grow up! Kid was scared to pull the trigger on anything for fear of being in trouble. Another kid that couldn’t care less about hunting now.

I don’t understand why this happens.
Selfish. I would much rather my son's shoot a nice deer than me. The last deer I shot was at 400 yards. I only shot him because after 40 minutes of watching him it was obvious he was not coming inside 200 and my youngest was begging "please kill him for me Daddy." I was wanting him inside 200 got the youngun could get him.

Wifeshusband

My brother came to hunt with me on my new farm in late November.

He had visited earlier and had taken 5 meat deer home so we were largely just enjoying each other’s company.

We have been deer hunting together for 40+ years but for the first time ever, we sat together in a big quad. Some deer came and went and we were having a good time and I looked up a pine lane.

Standing there - 80 yards - was a great 8 pt, about 18” wide with decently tall antlers. He is a really good buck for my area.

I tried to get him to shoot the deer.

He tried to get me to shoot the deer.

We screwed around like this for about 3-4 minutes and I swear, the buck finally got disgusted with us and walked off.

Great, great afternoon!!!!!!
Funny, Jim. Reminds me of the scene in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, where Eli Wallach (Tuco) is taking a bath and the bad man comes in to shoot him, but ends up talking, only to have Tuco pull a gun from under the soap suds to kill him, saying, "If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

wks41

My boy is 8. He has been hunting with me since he was 4. This year he killed a doe and a good nine point. There was never any debate on which deer he could shoot. My club is trophy managed but they would be mad if you didn’t let a kid shoot a buck. All he wants to do now is hunt. I have by far taken more joy watching him love the sport and kill deer, than any hunting experience I’ve ever had. He got some turkey calls for Christmas, hopefully he will put a gobbler down this spring. I’ve got a hunting buddy for life.