Re-hafting an axe

TJay

I recently rescued this old True Temper Kelly, it's in great shape and I love old stuff like this so I'm wanting to re-haft it. Only problem is I've never done it. I checked Youtube and there are lots of vids out there but a lot of those show quite a bit of working on the handle to facilitate a good fit. I do want to put a quality handle on it. Anyone ever done it? I'd appreciate any tips. The original handle broke off at the head, I'm here to tell you that handle is long gone but that piece of hickory that was stuck up in there was as hard as woodpeckers lips. Looking forward to putting this guy back to work!

Attachments

• HDFW1349.JPG
    HDFW1349.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 44

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've rehafted a handful of axes over the years. Ace hardware usually has a decent selection of hickory handles. Look them over closely to see if they hang straight.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I've wanted to do that very project for a while... If you haven't seen it, the best video I have seen on it was by the US Forestry Service:

Good luck with the project; let us know how it goes.

Heartstarter

Re hafting axes is a dyeing art. Whiskey River Arts and trading sells great handles. Measure the eye on the head and pick your handle. Buckin Billy on YouTube has very good instruction on re hafting axes. Take your time, go slow and use a good wedge/wedges. Be sure to treat your new handle with boiled linseed oil, buckin Billy can direct you on that process also, very important. If you buy a handle that has varnish on it, sand it off and linseed oil it. Varnish is hard on your hands ( blisters ). Re hafting axes is one of my many hobbies, It’s good to see someone reaching out to learn the right way! Post a pic when you’re done.

TJay

Re hafting axes is a dyeing art. Whiskey River Arts and trading sells great handles. Measure the eye on the head and pick your handle. Buckin Billy on YouTube has very good instruction on re hafting axes. Take your time, go slow and use a good wedge/wedges. Be sure to treat your new handle with boiled linseed oil, buckin Billy can direct you on that process also, very important. If you buy a handle that has varnish on it, sand it off and linseed oil it. Varnish is hard on your hands ( blisters ). Re hafting axes is one of my many hobbies, It’s good to see someone reaching out to learn the right way! Post a pic when you’re done.
I ordered the 32C from Whiskey River.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
For this reason I would be reluctant to order 1 on line
Yeah, I usually either make mine myself from a piece of hickory or ash, or go to the local hardware store and pick one out so I can look at them individually.

Heartstarter

You definitely have to be careful buying a axe handle online or in person, the 32C is a premium grade hickory handle and the folks at Whiskey River are great to deal with. That said, making them is a great skill to learn and a lot of fun. I doubt you’ll have problems with this handle, post up some pictures of your project, I think you will see a lot of interest.

TJay

You definitely have to be careful buying a axe handle online or in person, the 32C is a premium grade hickory handle and the folks at Whiskey River are great to deal with. That said, making them is a great skill to learn and a lot of fun. I doubt you’ll have problems with this handle, post up some pictures of your project, I think you will see a lot of interest.
I should get the handle in the next couple of days. There is a short video on his website of him handpicking and grading every handle he gets. Grade A and Grade B and anything else gets discarded or burnt. Not a huge operation so I guess it's not a big deal for him. This axe head has grooves inside the eye (typical of that brand) which will make it a little more of a challenge. This is my first one so I'll be taking my time. I'll start some pics when I get into it.

Heartstarter

It’s addictive once you start, I have a small tool box filled with spoke shavers, wood rasp, files, wood chisles, draw knives and such just for doing this.
Re profiling/sharpening it is another lesson to learn.

Heartstarter

They are handy in some areas. I’ve found that a small mini planer works best for me but I’ll use everything in the box on most I work on. It’s good to have an assortment of tools.
Don’t forget your boiled linseed oil, there is a process for treating your handle. I usually rub them down every day for a week then once a week for a month then a couple time a year. Get a good coat on the eye, it expands the wood and keeps the head nice and tight. That 32C will nice after being treated with linseed.

Gaswamp

good thread